Overlapping & Terrain elevation interactions.

Flib Jib

Question

Let's start with this rule pg.14 DRB

At no point can a model end any move with its base overlapping the base of another model, even if the model is able to move through the other model.

So I was wondering how this comes into effect with models on different elevation. If there’s a piece of terrain that has multiple levels can models ‘overlap’ If on different levels or is this above rule all-encompassing?

On page 14 there's a Pandora/Rasputina example. Let’s say Pandora is actually standing base to base with the height 2” crate and Rasputina is Pushed 2” towards Pandora. Two inches would be enough to move Rasputina completely off the crate which would mean she would be directly above Pandora which is why the overlap rule exists.

So in my opinion Rasputina's push would stop immediately before she would overlap Pandora’s base.  Was Raspy’s push “interrupted?

Invalid vs Interrupted  

Next Question, What if a model is standing on a bridge. The gap below is 2”.  Does that mean that all non-incorporeal models cannot walk underneath the bridge because the bases would overlap?

Would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Thimblesage said:

Let's start with this rule pg.14 DRB

So I was wondering how this comes into effect with models on different elevation. If there’s a piece of terrain that has multiple levels can models ‘overlap’ If on different levels or is this above rule all-encompassing?

Look at Measuring on previous page:

Two objects are said to be in base con- tact with each other if their bases are physically touching (edge to edge or overlapping).

That's the sort of "overlap" that the movement rules, and the marker rules, and the terrain rules, are referring to.

Edit:  For instance, look at the scenery rules:

Any time a model’s base is overlapping terrain, it is said to be in that terrain. If a model’s base is touching terrain (either overlapping or directly next to the terrain), that model is within 0" of that terrain.

Do keep in mind, though, that the constraints of physics relative to game mechanics means that the model's physical base may not be exactly where the base should be according to the game.  For instance, it's entirely possible to have a situation where two models are supposed to be in base contact with each other but due to the limitations of plaster, or the fact that you're using tiny cobble stones and crates, they aren't physically touching.  Wise players will accept that the two models are in base contact, rather than attempting to increase the suffering in the world.

21 hours ago, solkan said:

Do keep in mind, though, that the constraints of physics relative to game mechanics means that the model's physical base may not be exactly where the base should be according to the game.  

Absolutely, I completely agree and am so glad that we have very dynamic terrain and models and that its not an aesthetic similar to mancala.

21 hours ago, solkan said:

Look at Measuring on previous page:

Not sure what your point is or if you answered the question. My apologies if I don't understand your answer but I would love clarity. I love referenced opinions but a reference without a statement feels a lot like "Try reading the rulebook, it has your answer" Which isn't as productive or helpful for me. Thanks for your understanding.

I’ve got some ruined hamlet (World War I/II) stuff that looks quite nice, but the decorative elements can cause problems.

For instance, there’s that tiny piece of board going across at an angle.  It’s just big enough that the two models don’t physically touch when their bases are overlapping (when viewed from above).  So suppose the Fire Gamin gets up there, wedges against the wood, and Wendigo gets a “place in base contact” effect.

You’d expect to just call it close enough, right?  Especially with that “The Rule of Intent” callout box in the rules.  That’s what I meant about the physical base not quite matching.  There are probably more extreme examples with some of the GW forest trees and the like, but it’s still that same deal—no one’s expecting base contact to get blocked by a decorative element of the terrain.

The third photo isn’t “overlapping”.  If the Fire Gamin got pushed or walked off the top and it’s base would be on top of the Wendigo’s base, that movement would be allowed to happen.  Worst case scenario, it would stop right before it fell.  (I think they threw around some “Least Disturbance” style rules for making room for falling models, but that produces so many inches of movement in some cases.). But that’s probably going off topic...

If you’re using multi-level terrain, you’re not expected to say “You can’t stand under my model.”

0DEDD590-40E5-4EAD-A420-6874461AF44B.jpeg

F914D8E7-CA94-47ED-804C-1A12B3F47679.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1