Hooded Rider

Regelridderen

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

He can also reduce up to 15 damage per game with no assistance in df duels.  Pretty tanky I'd say.

I mean that's a lot but that also cuts into his main abilities other than his sword, and early it's not nearly that much.

5 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

I’d say, having a DF 6 and a WP 7 is pretty significant, as you’ll rarely be at a disadvantage in a duel, and in most instances, you’ll be at an advantage. In that way, he is good at draining your opponents hand - which is overall the best defensive ability. Add to this a 2” engagement range, a high MV and a built-in push, makes the rider really hard to pin/put down. 

6/7 is good but the issue you run into is if you get hit, you're taking full damage (unless you wanna bite into those turn 1/2 counters which delays his big play making abilities).  With hard to wound that could be min damage but min damage weapons with 3 damage are not exactly uncommon... and even min damage 2 in enough volume can easily put him down (looking at you bushwhackers).

38 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

I mean that's a lot but that also cuts into his main abilities other than his sword, and early it's not nearly that much.

6/7 is good but the issue you run into is if you get hit, you're taking full damage (unless you wanna bite into those turn 1/2 counters which delays his big play making abilities).  With hard to wound that could be min damage but min damage weapons with 3 damage are not exactly uncommon... and even min damage 2 in enough volume can easily put him down (looking at you bushwhackers).

He’s got 9 wounds and HTW to boot. And he’s equally effective, whether he’s at 9 or 1 wound. Not to mention, that he doesn’t operate in a vacuum, you can heal him, hit attackers from other vectors, give him IH to Butterfly away from threats etc.

Aside from this, I don’t really care, if he does go down. If he does, an opponent will have to sink a ton of actions/cards/stones into killing him, and this is equally valuable, as it allows the rest of my crew to succeed in their endeavours. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

He’s got 9 wounds and HTW to boot. And he’s equally effective, whether he’s at 9 or 1 wound. Not to mention, that he doesn’t operate in a vacuum, you can heal him, hit attackers from other vectors, give him IH to Butterfly away from threats etc.

Aside from this, I don’t really care, if he does go down. If he does, an opponent will have to sink a ton of actions/cards/stones into killing him, and this is equally valuable, as it allows the rest of my crew to succeed in their endeavours. 

This is often the case. Opponents that want him down will have to sink quite a few AP into doing so, and that is often worth losing him at times to score key points in a game. Just like with everything else in a game of Malifaux, there's an opportunity cost to investing effort into killing a fairly resilient model like the Hooded Rider.

• Like 1

He is tough, but there are ways to kill him if he is careless. From this same thread:

On 10/11/2019 at 3:48 AM, CD1248 said:

This is true of all Riders, but double with Hoody because his kit incentivises going deep: Beware of Stunned!

When Stunned he can't use his trigger for damage reduction, so he can go from unkillable to a few min-3 smacks from death very quickly if you forget about a Stunned source.

I don’t think anyone claims him to be unkillable. Just arguing, that if an opponent wants to get rid of him, it’ll take some effort. 

Providing random scenarios, like Molly two-shotting him at six wounds says nothing about his resilience in general, only that if you face Molly, you need a little more caution, than when facing Perdita. 

But thats why you declare Masters before assembling a crew. 

• Agree 1

I agree, he is very resiliant (riders in general are), my point was more a word of caution for the random player that read this. Df6, H2W and the fate tokens will go a long way keeping him in the table, and versus most oponents he will last long and take a lot of resources to kill.

But there are a few silver bullets that may stop him cold with little effort and a player feeling him as nearly-unkilable may not look out for these and end with a dead rider pretty quickly.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered Pandora + rider. I'm getting more and more excited about the rider. I think he might become one of my favourite beaters.

One thing that hasn't been widely covered here is how good his trigger on his main attack. With a focus, you can easily be smashing out 10 damage in a single attack spread over three models (cheat for moderate, 4 + 3 + 3). Especially potent if you're up against something like Dreamer, trying to protect himself with protected on daydreams for example. Being able to instead just splash damage him is pretty great. Not to mention bubble crews, etc.

Ride with me also seems like it is going to be crazy useful on Pandora and Zoraida, and I may start setting up Serena Bowman more aggressively and send her along on Rides.

Hehe, report back after trying! Hoody has a Greatsword so if you manage to close the gap with Ride with Me instead of with a charge, he'll have a :+flip to damage; so it won't be hard getting moderate versus most oponents without Focused or cheating (Focused will be needed versus H2W models tho). He seems to be worse than Teddy attacking a single target, but that's offset by his mobility and endurance. A great thing about the rider in a Pandora crew is that in a pinch, anyone may use a long range ability like a Lure, Bring it or Glimpse/Startle to target him and remove some conditions hindering him (like Stunned, Staggered or Slow).

With Pandora/Zoraida there is the posibility to put him fast with the burnt out triggers; but that's a bit risky taking in count he only has 9 Wds and it's not a stone user. IR on him could be potentialy very good... but 13SS for a model hurts (and Blade Rush doesn't go that well with a Greatsword)

And btw, a combination that I noticed the other day to deal with enemy riders. Lyssa + Doppleganger. Doppleganger may copy Lyssa mele attack (with the trigger) and attack the rider (Move + Charge + Engagement = 13''); that attack will be stat 7 vs the rider df 6 and will let the Doppleganger to use an attack controled by her (where the fate tokens may be wasted, leaving him vulnerable/avoid the Revel in X that turn).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

How are you all keeping the Rider alive if he's in the thick of it?

My plan sometimes is to charge him in end of one turn, then swing wide with great sword start of next turn, ride with me away. Coupled with 1-3 other beaters, there may be too much pressure to kill him.

Plus I see no reason to keep him alive. If the whole team is beating on him, then I can beat on them. He is pretty tanky and will take a while for them to beat through him.

I also think I'll try using his masks for defense + swinging wide with great sword rather than revel.

And of course, the general strategy for keeping your beaters alive: hit them harder than they hit you.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Just ordered Pandora + rider. I'm getting more and more excited about the rider. I think he might become one of my favourite beaters.

To my Pandora its always a hard choice between the rider, Teddy and Carver - or a combination of. They all bring their particular flavor, and its always a tradeoff between movement, hitting power, resilience, Terrifying and/or ruthless. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

To my Pandora its always a hard choice between the rider, Teddy and Carver - or a combination of. They all bring their particular flavor, and its always a tradeoff between movement, hitting power, resilience, Terrifying and/or ruthless. 

I'm going to try running all three at some point, but Carver was sold out when I placed my order.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 4:12 AM, LeperColony said:

I save his fate tokens for his defensive trigger. Most of the games I've played, my opponents know what he's capable of and do not allow the bomb trigger of Greatsword to be a possibility.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:12 AM, LeperColony said:

Because usually the reason he's in the thick of it (at least when I use him), is because he's just delivered some Candy to the enemy's doorstep.  Sure... dump everything into the rider now... btw that's a card and that's a damage, and that's another damage... and another damage... btw you go over there now...

Halloween's come early this year >:D

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 5:18 AM, Ogid said:

About his Revel ability, aside for Moonlight Charge that is quite neat, Is anyone using the base effect (look enemy hand) or any of the other 2 triggers in any crew?

I've used a couple of times the first trigger with Titania, when I bring the slow people (Knights, including Killjoy) go give a small movement bump in turn 2.

I've never used the Malifaux Revolt (usually I can use Moonlit Charge instead), but I can see it useful in some situations.I theorized about using it in conjunction with the trigger "Into Thorns", getting a +2 damage on those Decays from Aeslin or Titania from 8" away.

• Thanks 1

Malifaux revolt is likely super useful for certain situations (reckoning brawl around claim jump mid for example). However, I've yet to actually use it.

Tokens are just so valuable, but maybe as I get better at not getting hit with riders it'll be easier.

Problem with malifaux revolt is you want to use it at the start of the turn to maximise the aura... Which means a really long time of the rider being hit. Seems better to go one token deeper for the full five.

I wished they had designed the riders to have triggers at 1/3/5, so then there was a better spread for token use.

• Thanks 1