M3E Stories (Spoilers)

25 minutes ago, MajorUndead said:

I have a question. Where is the story where Nicodem dies? Is it in one of the M3E books, or was it a story released before that?

The outcome was decided based on a vote at Gencon 2017 (and the web store), Part 1 came out before August 2017 wyrd chronicles 30.

Part 2 may be the next issue, or the one after that. (EDIT -I just found it in 33 and got ninja'd)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adran said:

The outcome was decided based on a vote at Gencon 2017 (and the web store), Part 1 came out before August 2017 wyrd chronicles 30.

Part 2 may be the next issue, or the one after that.

Yeah I just realized I could check on the website.
Part one is here : https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2017/7/10/chronicles-gencon-special

Part two is there : https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2017/12/20/wyrd-chronicles-33

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StormLordXIII said:

Do people have thoughts on the fiction or favorite stories  for the other factions besides the Guild? Not sure which books have been released yet but I believe Ten Thunders and Gremlins are due this month, right? 

Neverborn and Arcanists both have fantastic first stories. Neverborn third story is really good too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I loved all of the Resser stories.
Anna reluctantly joining Transmortis, her will against Von Schtook's. And the art work at the end of the story is gorgeous.
Kirai is one of my favourite masters so I was eager to see how her story continued after her vigilante story with Molly. Jack Daw continues to be a creepy as ever, and it shines a stark light onto Kirai's emotional state, where the ghost of Malifaux is stalking her and showing up to help her* doesn't even make her bat an eyelid, she remains cold and detached. And the ending definitely explains why Francis is still called the lost love and has a wp of 2.
Molly's story has the least impact for me, but it was a nice story. Molly and her band of misfits are always fun to read about, especially when a guardsman shoots Molly and she is just concerned about the bullet holes in her dress. Archie is amusing as ever, but its a story that holds little weight for me. Somehow Phillip has been captured by the guild (off screen as far as I'm aware) and then by the end of the story everything is back to normal.
McMourning's cameo at the end is amusing as ever and certainly drew a few chuckles from me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally got the .pdf of the books.

I have read 3 stories so far. I'm currently quite disappointed.

Nekima-Euripides-Lynch

Nekima confirms that she has more balls and a bigger sword that your average giant.

She also is as subtle as her sword but we already knew that.

Euripides and his pals have the charisma of a group of oysters... Their appearance gives the feeling they appear to say "BTW there is a new master in NB, we swear he is baddass and mysterious...." and to push Nekima towards her fate.

Other than that the story is just a far fetched excuse to have Lynch leave the faction.

I liked the glimpse into the half-blood situation though.

It is nice to know a bit more about them.

Lucius - Collodi

In Broken Promises we left Marlow a competent leader that had played divide and conquer in the forces of the Guild's greatest foes (Arcanists).

Now he is a messy bureaucrat who went way above his head and is not even able to command a modicum of respect from his managers. Yet Lucius sees him as a worthy opponent (the worthiness is not really obvious when we read this story)...

Lucius goes to the countryside on a bet with Perdita and beats down a Collodi very easily (too easily for my taste). The bet with Perdita is just here to justify people not asking questions about why Lawyers prosecuting an unknown abductor would be efficient and even realistic in the northern countryside...

Zoraida comes out of the blue as a poor man's deus ex machina and confirms that she is not able to manipulate anyone anymore.

The fight between the lawyers and the puppets is... well this is a fight between lawyers and puppets...

I don't understand anything about Collodi's motivation except that he went crazy.

This really looks like a hasty explanation for Collodi's death and Dashel's promotion. I was expecting something better built and more epic (at least Lilith went out in style :D).

Hoffman - Joss

- Langston

The least interesting story I have read for a while (all readings included, not just Malifaux' fluff).

Ramos left a few gifts that the M&SU wants to suppress. Hoffman and Joss band together to destroy Ramos' Amalgams.

The switch of Hoffman to dual faction and the inclusion of some of the old Ramos buddies into the Augmented keyword is not well built in my opinion.

Perhaps there will be more to this story later but now this story feels very hollow.

3 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

Lucius - Collodi

In Broken Promises we left Marlow a competent leader that had played divide and conquer in the forces of the Guild's greatest foes (Arcanists).

Now he is a messy bureaucrat who went way above his head and is not even able to command a modicum of respect from his managers. Yet Lucius sees him as a worthy opponent (the worthiness is not really obvious when we read this story)...

Lucius goes to the countryside on a bet with Perdita and beats down a Collodi very easily (too easily for my taste). The bet with Perdita is just here to justify people not asking questions about why Lawyers prosecuting an unknown abductor would be efficient and even realistic in the northern countryside...

Zoraida comes out of the blue as a poor man's deus ex machina and confirms that she is not able to manipulate anyone anymore.

The fight between the lawyers and the puppets is... well this is a fight between lawyers and puppets...

I don't understand anything about Collodi's motivation except that he went crazy.

This really looks like a hasty explanation for Collodi's death and Dashel's promotion. I was expecting something better built and more epic (at least Lilith went out in style :D).

I still hold that Lucius is actually the real Collodi and the Collodi "killed" during this fight was just a puppet created by Zoraida to drive the point home with guild witnesses.

If you want to be charitable, I think the early depictions of Lucius were of a creepy servant of the Governor, his role grew into “creepy servant who was also undermining the Guild presence”, and his role peaked with his dance number at the climax of 2nd edition.  I think he was essentially acting governor until the new administration arrived, and cut back on departmental “initiative”.

The new administration doesn’t seem as keen to do whatever he wants, so now he’s back to preparing and waiting for an opportunity.

—-

As far as Collodi goes, what I hope is that they weren’t aiming for “goes crazy” as “It isn’t human, but it mimic very complicated behavior, and it became aimless after a while.”  All of these acts and plays, and crews to build, and Collodi wasn’t built to choose.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:57 PM, Nagi21 said:

I still hold that Lucius is actually the real Collodi and the Collodi "killed" during this fight was just a puppet created by Zoraida to drive the point home with guild witnesses.

Due to the construction of the story (discussion with Zoraida) and the fact that Lucius is growing claws, I do not think this is the case.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:15 AM, solkan said:

The new administration doesn’t seem as keen to do whatever he wants, so now he’s back to preparing and waiting for an opportunity.

Yep I think this is quite clear with the rat catcher guild interaction at the start of the story. I enjoyed the first part of this story.

The second part of the story is clumsier because it tries very hard to justify Lucius doing stuff he really has no place to do, especially wandering in the northern hills chasing puppets with a crew of lawyers.

The second "board meeting" where Perdita arrives and Yao is extremely rude to Marlow seems really out of place to me considering how the story was developping so far.

I think it would have been preferable to place Lucius in a story where he was doing something more subtle (covertly helping the Arcanists to undermine Marlow for example, or getting rid of a competitor on the board while making people think the culprit was an Arcanist or M&SU member), and leave Collodi's demise to somebody else.

On the other hand, Titania appeared to Lucius (in Ripples of Fate I think) and called him Captain (If my memory is accurate). Afterwards we have seen no sign of Lucius being affected by Titania's rise to power.

Additionally, this story does nothing to tie him to the Neverborn (he is a dual master...). We don't see anything of his cool new theme which is all about secret murders, false witnesses and mimics (on the NB side).

There were so many sub-stories that could have been picked for Lucius, I don't get why it had to be killing Collodi and why it was done without introducing any of his 2 new henchmen.