M3E Stories (Spoilers)

Haven't seen a lot of folks talking about the stories as some were worried about spoiling it for others (thank you for being considerate!) - so I thought I would create a thread and see what folks thought of some of the stories and the arcs/characters that were presented. 

For anyone reading - expect spoilers. 

• Like 4

Might have not been a lot as I bet everyone didn't buy all the faction books so the stories are split up. Not that I am complaining as I think it is a good idea. I am sure as everyone gets them in their hands and finds time to read them (like myself) more will be asked. I really enjoyed the stories and lore updates in the main rule book. They were well thought out and a great update/refresher on the whole Malifaux timeline.

There’s definitely that weird spot where I am never quite sure which books are now on general release and which were already read by GenCon orderers. I got Guild/Arcanist/Neverborn from my FLGS [USA] so those are probably freed from the courtesy call for inaccessibility [again, for the USA].

Loved the style of the sepia tone illustration for each story, especially the look of Ironsides in that style. That was a great and unexpected splash of art. Also a nice nod to the masters who haven’t had updated art yet.

Against all expectations I think I liked the Neverborn stories best! Not that there was anything wrong with the others (the McMourning and Sebastian voices shift a bit yet again but into yet another pleasing configuration of ‘not all the mental gears are engaged right now’*), the Neverborn just got to indulge in the Malifaux style darkness more than the rest.

*I don’t know if I should have pictured McMourning as Agatha Heterodyne at that one juncture, but I did.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

There’s definitely that weird spot where I am never quite sure which books are now on general release and which were already read by GenCon orderers. I got Guild/Arcanist/Neverborn from my FLGS [USA] so those are probably freed from the courtesy call for inaccessibility [again, for the USA].

Yeah, I've only got those three books in PDF so far too (despite having ordered all seven), and I've been kind of waiting on the other four before I start reading them proper.

That, and while I'm fine skimming through a PDF, I very much have a preference for physical media, especially when it comes to multipage fiction (as opposed to statcards and the bio information and the like).

Do we have an ETA on when the seventh book is going to be physically released, so that I can tack on at least two months for when I'll get them in my hands? Shipping to Australia, you just get used to always being last. Well, second last. New Zealand almost always gets dicked the most. :)

Euripides is a fat liar, God Empress Nekima isn't gonna lose to some indebted card shark or his dumb weak fish on a leash. She will make her own fate!
Wherever I gotta go to play in some tournament proving that Nephilim reign supreme, or vote for Nekima to win out in the end, J vs Nico style, I'm gonna do it! 

Nekima is a strong, independent beater master who don't need no anthropomancy.

• Haha 1

I think the Lucius story was fantastic, presenting real character development for him. He seems to be “humanizing” more and more as time goes on.

The Freikorps and Tara fighting against Hamelin was another great one.  It was an exciting story, with lots of action, and I like the confrontation between Tara/Obliteration and Plague.  The part where he mentions leaving part of himself behind inside Talos in order to escape I found very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, InquisitorLord said:

I think the Lucius story was fantastic, presenting real character development for him. He seems to be “humanizing” more and more as time goes on.

It's the only one I've read so far, but I did really enjoy it.  Mostly the petty gamesmanship of it all.  It was nice to get a definite picture of what happened with a certain Master too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've only read the Neverborn stories, but holy cow I loved the Pandora vs. Fate one. Made me wish Fate was a playable master, sorta like the Viks. Two masters, neither as powerful or tough as a single master, but together they're bonkers! One hands out :+flip, the other hands out :-flip, rigging the deck in fun ways, they could function like a Wastrel in TtB! Ah well, I guess I'll have to settle for painting my Avatar Pandora up in red & black...

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Zebo said:

And how can be people speaking here about the content of the books?

1.  GenCon pre-orders/pre-release of the books arriving.

2.  The PDFs aren't available for purchase separately at the moment.  They are available as part of the book purchase promotion.  (Or, at least, the first four faction books are.)

https://www.wyrd-games.net/m3e-digital-book-promotion

On 10/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, Zebo said:

And how can be people speaking here about the content of the books?

I pre-ordered my Guild and Arcanist books from my FLGS and tehy arrived a few weeks back.

17 hours ago, InquisitorLord said:

Yeah... Barker vs Collodi... that’s it 😉

*cough*

It's a great story though.

• 2 weeks later...