What would you do against...

Mycellanious

Hi guys! I've been wondering what Keywords you guys have been having trouble against, and what general strategies you have for Keywords I've been struggling against. For me, I havent won against Yan Lo, Tara, or the Dreamer, so what would you do against these crews? Please don't just say, "Well if they are playing Dreamer just play Kaeris for strong shooting and ways to get around Incorporeal," because in game thats not a viable strategy since Leaders need to be declared at the same time. So what would you guys do if you were playing your favorite Keyword and the opponent declared one of these Masters? Are there any crews that you have had difficulty facing? 

Yan Lo is the only master of these I have experience with and in general I find that if you get into a straight fight with Yan Lo you will probably lose. The level of armour, reliable damage and healing that comes out of his crew (not to mention bringing models back) is substantial. 

So I've found that against Yan Lo you want to bring efficient schemers, because Yan Lo's scheming ability is quite low. He doesn't have many spare actions to drop a lot of bombs and he can't really get into your backfield with a lot beyond Manos. 

So if you can focus on not losing much to his big stuff and getting all of your scheme points you will be in a good place to win the game. More specifically Yan Lo's personal gun is excellent, but any amount of concealment really helps against him because he will need to focus or stone to be able to land those hits reliably, so abusing terrain and then things like Vent Steam or Diesel engine will really help. His also only answer to armour is a single trigger on Izamu. 

So slotting in things like Saboteurs to destroy his schemes, Spider swarms to scheme in his backline and killing pretty much anything that isn't Izamu, especially if they have diesel engines for free moves and concealment auras. Soulstone Miners have a trigger for no armour (but in order to trigger, you can't mine soulstone that turn, so its awkward) and mecharachnids are pretty good vs armour so its worth considering them in order to kill his Izamu buffed Komiinu and help vs getting Izamu off the table for a turn. 

You just gotta focus on the schemes and don't focus on winning the fight because I think in Arcanists the only person who has a chance of winning the fight is Hoffman. 

• Thanks 1

It would help to know what you're finding difficult about each keyword, and what models you have available so we can tune our advice.

As a general tip;  A lot of games can be won or lost by misreading who should be playing offence;  fighting when you should be evading loses games.  To figure out who should be on offence ask two questions;  1) Who wins the fight if we just shoved all our models into a scrap in the middle?  2) Who wins if our crews don't attack each other?   If you answer 'me' to either question you know how to approach, the game. (If you answer both questions the same then one of you made a big mistake and you already know who's going to win.)  

Us Arcanists tend to play evasion more than we play offence, we are sneaky soul-stone smugglers after all.  To the above and @octavius_'s points I'd expect almost all our masters to be evading vs Dreamer and Yan Lo, and playing offence vs Tara.  There are exception though.

Of the keywords you've listed I've got the most experience against The Dreamer.  My general aim is to position to minimise the number of Stitched hits my crew can take, and in doing that minimise Dreamer's damage output.  I look to consider what Armor and Willpower my choices have into a dreamer crew.  I also consider Diesel Engine more as it makes Twist Reality less effective against my armor.  In game if they've buried summons I'd avoid making any terrifying check you aren't prepared to cheat to win, unless them dropping the model there is good for you.

A final point;  while you're correct that you don't know an opponent's master when you choose, your own you do know their faction.  If there's something I'm concerned about facing from that faction I will consider it when I choose my master.  E.g;  It's <objectives>, I'd be concerned about my opponent playing <master>, so I'll consider choosing <this master> as that'll be a better match up than my other choices.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mythicFOX said:

It would help to know what you're finding difficult about each keyword, and what models you have available so we can tune our advice.

As a general tip;  A lot of games can be won or lost by misreading who should be playing offence;  fighting when you should be evading loses games.  To figure out who should be on offence ask two questions;  1) Who wins the fight if we just shoved all our models into a scrap in the middle?  2) Who wins if our crews don't attack each other?   If you answer 'me' to either question you know how to approach, the game. (If you answer both questions the same then one of you made a big mistake and you already know who's going to win.)  

Us Arcanists tend to play evasion more than we play offence, we are sneaky soul-stone smugglers after all.  To the above and @octavius_'s points I'd expect almost all our masters to be evading vs Dreamer and Yan Lo, and playing offence vs Tara.  There are exception though.

Of the keywords you've listed I've got the most experience against The Dreamer.  My general aim is to position to minimise the number of Stitched hits my crew can take, and in doing that minimise Dreamer's damage output.  I look to consider what Armor and Willpower my choices have into a dreamer crew.  I also consider Diesel Engine more as it makes Twist Reality less effective against my armor.  In game if they've buried summons I'd avoid making any terrifying check you aren't prepared to cheat to win, unless them dropping the model there is good for you.

A final point;  while you're correct that you don't know an opponent's master when you choose your own you do know their faction.  If there's something I'm concerned about facing from that faction I will consider it when I choose my master.  E.g;  It's <objectives>, I'd be concerned about my opponent playing <master>, so I'll consider choosing <this master> as that'll be a better match up than my other choices.

You make a good point about intentionally failing a wp duel to try and bait him into placing the summon in an irrelevant spot.