Public information in combat (Malifaux vs TTB)

MathHare

Hi there!

I am running a campaing and I did some things sort of the way they are done in Malifaux but then I realized that I am not sure that it is the way it is supposed to be done in TTB, but I cannot find it in the core rules. I am refering to combat, I know the Fated must know the TN of any duel (i.e a Df duel against an attack) but are the consequences of the duel also to be known (the damage they will take if they fail or the triggers that the NPC has with any suit)? I have been telling my players all this information since in Malifaux the cards are public, but I am not sure which one is the way to procede in TTB.

Any piece of advice is welcome :D

I would let them find out. In other words, don't tell them anything they don't need to know beforehand. I had a player who also played Malifaux and liked to tell everyone what he thought the stats of models were and would get surprised when things hit harder or did not go down as easy as they did in Malifaux. I changed up stats and added abilities to keep folks on their toes. If they know everything, they will not be as surprised by models. 

The TN of the duel needs to be public because of the Cheat Fate mechanics.

For triggers and such, I think the best thing to do is treat it as world knowledge.  Triggers and how damaging an attack is going to be are the game mechanic implantations of "This thing is big enough that it could tear your arm off" or "This creature has fatal venom".  If a character knows some information, you should tell the player about the corresponding game mechanics.

For instance, if the character knows that some beast has poisonous venom, tell the player about the Poison trigger and/or Poison effect on its attacks.

"Surprise, the little old lady hits you for 10/11/12 damage" is one thing.  "Why didn't the professor of serpentology know that the snake was poison?" or "Why didn't the experienced character know about ___?" is another.  

Disclaimer:  @Shadowopal's example is completely justified for the 'player knowledge exceeds character knowledge, and the player keeps acting on things they shouldn't know' situation.  😈

47 minutes ago, solkan said:

The TN of the duel needs to be public because of the Cheat Fate mechanics.

For triggers and such, I think the best thing to do is treat it as world knowledge.  Triggers and how damaging an attack is going to be are the game mechanic implantations of "This thing is big enough that it could tear your arm off" or "This creature has fatal venom".  If a character knows some information, you should tell the player about the corresponding game mechanics.

For instance, if the character knows that some beast has poisonous venom, tell the player about the Poison trigger and/or Poison effect on its attacks.

"Surprise, the little old lady hits you for 10/11/12 damage" is one thing.  "Why didn't the professor of serpentology know that the snake was poison?" or "Why didn't the experienced character know about ___?" is another.  

Disclaimer:  @Shadowopal's example is completely justified for the 'player knowledge exceeds character knowledge, and the player keeps acting on things they shouldn't know' situation.  😈

Absolutely. If the character has knowledge/experience that would clue him/her in I drop hints. But generally, I also expect players to use their skills before getting into fights or if they are surprised by the attack I give them a brief description of what the enemies look like, have and any distinguishing feature (that blade the old lady has is coated in a slime) to give them the opportunity to use appropriate skills. 

I should have been more verbose. I don't totally put my characters in a dark room. My players are experienced. They know to ask questions and use skills if they feel I am not providing enough details.