Empire Artillery Team and Line of Sight

Sharpedge

Question

The latest FAQ means that the King's Empire Artillery Team :ranged actions do not require LOS. Huzzah!

However, the updated card does not say "this action ignores cover" like, for example, the Abyssinian Flare Gun prototype asset.

My question, therefore, is - do we still draw sight lines to the target to determine whether it has cover OR does the fact that it does not require LOS mean that we do not need to draw sight lines and therefore cover is ignored?

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, retnab said:

Cover is still a thing it deals with unfortunately.

Yeah I'm thinking that's probably going to be the consensus. I've heard the opposite opinion but there are a number of Aby assets that mention both cover and LOS. So either the Arty team not mentioning cover is an oversight or a design choice.

Still not sure it's going to be viable with an effective Av of 1 on that big 'ole gun.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, Sharpedge said:

Yeah I'm thinking that's probably going to be the consensus. I've heard the opposite opinion but there are a number of Aby assets that mention both cover and LOS. So either the Arty team not mentioning cover is an oversight or a design choice.

Still not sure it's going to be viable with an effective Av of 1 on that big 'ole gun.

At cover rule said, that unit gain cover if one of line of sight blocked. But if you not require los - it cannot be blocked by anything. Same with titan.

I think, that additional "ignore cover" was added for abilities witch will give you permanent cover at some area.

At another hand, if our guns really suffer from cover - it is useless again, because at this situation it can try to hit titans and no any another target.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:23 PM, Cactus3D said:

At cover rule said, that unit gain cover if one of line of sight blocked. But if you not require los - it cannot be blocked by anything. Same with titan.

I think, that additional "ignore cover" was added for abilities witch will give you permanent cover at some area.

At another hand, if our guns really suffer from cover - it is useless again, because at this situation it can try to hit titans and no any another target.

Cover rules don't say "one line of sight blocked", they say "one sight line" blocked.  That's an important distinction.   Despite the fact that the Artillery Team doesn't need Line of Sight, it still draws Sight Lines to the target (as all attacks do), which means cover still applies.

• Agree 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:25 PM, Clement said:

Cover rules don't say "one line of sight blocked", they say "one sight line" blocked.  That's an important distinction.   Despite the fact that the Artillery Team doesn't need Line of Sight, it still draws Sight Lines to the target (as all attacks do), which means cover still applies.

Sorry for such late reply. But I'm new player and not native English speaker. And for me "one line of sight blocked" and "one sight line blocked" is absolutely the same thing. Can you please explain the difference and why it not allows to ignore cover?

27 minutes ago, KID55 said:

Sorry for such late reply. But I'm new player and not native English speaker. And for me "one line of sight blocked" and "one sight line blocked" is absolutely the same thing. Can you please explain the difference and why it not allows to ignore cover?

The Artillery team doesn't need line of sight, but that doesn't mean it doesn't draw sight lines. The rules for cover just say that at least one of the sight lines is blocked. The rules say that you need 1 unblocked sightline to have line of sight. The artillery team doesn't need line of sight, so it can still shoot if all the sight lines are blocked, but it doesn't have any rules saying it doesn't have to draw sight lines, or that it ignores cover. 

Its worth remembering that the game came out during M2E, so you can't rely on the M3 understanding (and in fact before the FAQ clarified that if a malifaux model didn't need line of sight, it also didn't suffer cover or concealment, a lot of people argued that they did (and I think I was one of them) so its probable that that it was the norm before this edition (I can't remember for certain any more)).