following orders question?

Cursed25

6 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

hi everyone!

I'm looking at following orders and obey from Lawyers. I'm wondering if Lucius issues command on him, do you draw a card even if you fail the obey? or you draw only if the action succeed?

If the Obey fails, you don’t take an action and thus no action has been resolved by the model with Following Orders.  If the Obey succeeds, then you take an action and thus an action gets resolved by the model with Following Orders.

The card draw for Following Orders happens if the Obey succeeds, and doesn’t depend on what happens during the action generated by the successful Obey.  

Ah, sorry, I missed the part about Lucius using Issue Command.  I thought the question was just about a Lawyer using Obey on a model with Following Orders.

If Lucius succeeds using Issue Command on a Guild Lawyer, the Lawyer’s Following Orders Ability will go off whether or not the Obey action succeeds, because Following Orders is “after resolving.”  Whether the Obey succeeds or fails, it has been resolved.

It ends up being:

• Lucius succeeds at Issue Command
  • Lawyer attempts Obey
  • card draw from Following Orders
  • If the Obey succeeded, the Obey’s target takes an action.
  • If the Obey succeeded, and the Obey’s target also had Following Orders, Lucius’s player draws a card.  (Because control can’t end until after Step 6).
  • Thanks 1

Be careful, this is once per activation. It means that you will draw one card for each model that use this ability per turn. If you have Lucius, 2 lawyers and 1 inverstigators. Lucius issue command to lawyer A who obeys the investigator on 1st Ap. Then he issue commande to lawyer B who obeys the investigator on 2nd Ap, you will draw 3 cards. 2 on 1st ap for lawyer A and investigator, and 1 on 2nd AP for lawyer B

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I  believe  the card draw would be after the chain obey.

Lucius obeys  the guild lawyer

The guild lawyer obeys the investigator, the action isnt completed till he either fails the test  or the model it obeyed then does its action.

Reasoning for this is the guild lawyers action isnt resolved till the investigator has completed the action.

So I play it I do my 2 sometimes 3 obeys to then draw my cards after completion

27 minutes ago, Starrius said:

I  believe  the card draw would be after the chain obey.

Lucius obeys  the guild lawyer

The guild lawyer obeys the investigator, the action isnt completed till he either fails the test  or the model it obeyed then does its action.

Reasoning for this is the guild lawyers action isnt resolved till the investigator has completed the action.

So I play it I do my 2 sometimes 3 obeys to then draw my cards after completion

Like @eddy points out, in M3E there's no nesting of actions like there was in M2E.

The various quotes.

Actions Generated by Effects:

Many effects in Malifaux, (such as Actions, Abilities, and Triggers) can cause a model to take an Action.

When this happens, the new Action is always resolved after the previous Action is completely resolved, including any “After Resolving” effects, but before any other new Action can be taken.

Actions generated in this way follow the normal sequence for Actions and do not count against a model’s Action limit.

The second sentence is why the sequence goes in M3E:

• Obey
    • action generated but not resolved
  • Step 6 effects for the Obey (the card draw from Following Orders on the Lawyer if Lucius used Issue Command)
  • Action generated by the Obey

so you get the cards one at a time between actions.  Unlike in M2E where it would have been

• Obey
    • Action specified in Obey is resolved
      • "After Step 5" for the action generated by Obey
    • "After Step 5" for Obey

where you would have gotten the cards all at once at the end, if you were playing M2E with the current cards.

• Like 1