Guild Scheme Running?

Yore Huckleberry

I'm trying to decide what the best scheme runners are? It seems like other factions have fast, cheap units, but some of the best Guild options seem to be mid-tier units. Mounted Guards can easily move around and help shift some friends while they're at it, and the demise replace is obviously a help. Undercover Reporter and Alison Dade (or Nellie herself) have that amazing scheme reversal aura ... but that feels like an opponent can play around it. Hounds have good movement but are easy to pick off. And Investigators are pretty powerful scheme area control, but they're pricey, especially out of keyword.

Is there a rule of thumb in our faction, here? Or is it more that you commit some of your mid-tier costing to scheme runners and then try to hold the middle or keep a defended gunline, etc?

Guild isn’t the most scheme marker efficient faction, but here’s who I’ve seen dropping markers (YMMV based on cost and opponent):

• Marshall: Death Marshals, Lone Marshall, Scales, and Lady J herself
  • Witch Hunter: Sanctioned spellcasters, stalkers, Flame
  • Augmented: Watchers and Hunters, Attendant
  • Elite: Changelings, Doppelgänger, False Witness
  • Frontier: Frontiersmen and Bernadette
  • Family: Pistoleros (limited experience)
  • Journalist: Newsies, False Witness, Field Reporters, and Nellie
  • Guard: Hounds and Mounted Guard
  • Versatile: Pale rider, Stevie, Grimwell, Orderlies, Heartsbane

That said, I’m not above using any model to scheme if it will score points.

A good scheme runner is a model with :

_ a good mobility

_ a survivability at least average

_ either one self push/place/move to disengage without having to use disengage action (leap is the best one, ride with me is good, creep along is better than nothing), or don't mind me

_ one action to place/drop schemes

There is no model on our faction that can do all this. If we list the models that have a lot of these abilites, we have :

_ Nellie and lady Justice on boss

_ Nurse heartsbane

_ Grimwell

_ Pale rider

_ Watcher, only if you can have 1 scrap on first turn

_ Hunter only if you can have 1 scrap on first turn

I must try the nurse. Her self push is not the the best action, but she seems to have a good ratio cost/efficiency. At the moment, Grimwell is my best choice, with an option on pale rider if I know that on turn 2 he will have done his scheming to get back where he is needed on turn 3. Out of Hoffman, you need to buy a trap and kill him to get an efficient wathcer or hunter. Thats seems a little expensive.

Other models are :

_ Mounted guards. Their only survivability is 7 hp and one replace by a patrol. That's a little weak for an 8 point model

_ 3-6 cost minions in keyword (sanctionned spellcasters, hounds, false witness, death marshalls, monster hunters, pistoleros, changelings, frontiersmen, etc...) These models often lacks too many of the points needed to be a good scheme runner. You can not take them and be sure that they will use their interact where you want without dying. They can be used, but you need B plans in case they get killed/engaged

_ non insignificant totems.

I would advise against the hounds. Every model that can not survive to a focused shot (at least 6 on hp+armor/shield/incorporeal) should not be used as scheme runner, or should not go solo. If you want to scheme run with hounds, you should get 2 or 3 of them. If you do that, you should maybe think to a 7 soustone model with LLC or use Grimwell.

The steward seems really also really slow to be used as scheme runner. And if an opponent must sacrifice one of his model to deny you VP by killing the Steward, they should do it.

If the lone marshell is engaged, he will not be able to interact on the turn. He seems to be a little leasy to lock for his cost. I see him rather as ascheme runner hunter.