2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - October

Caedrus

October is here!

This is the thread for the October 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. October's birthstone is the tourmaline and the opal. Time to paint something with the opalescent paints! Or, towards the end of the month, something spooky?

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here, and I'll continue updating soon!

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

We're now using the Malifaux 3rd Edition values!

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for October!

Caedrus.

Got one more grind model this month - another Engineer. 🤮 Don’t like the sculpt, but running with two of them is just SO GOOD. I’ll be back to real blending though, which I’ve been missing during my Gremlin stint. 

I’ve got a new Midnight Stalker proxy in the works, based on a 1e Mannequin. Waiting on it to show up from eBay. If I don’t get it done as a stretch goal for this month, I’ll do it for November.

• Like 3

Well, waiting on a few backordered things has altered my plans, so it's back to Arcanists for me for a bit. For October I have slated:

While I can't stand anything winter holidayish before Halloween, the Angry Tree Ice Golem (10ss) is needed for a tourney this month. Add to that, finally adding a few missing versatiles in The Captain (10ss) and 2x Mecharachnids (12ss), and a Firebranded for my Kaeris crew (6ss). May add other Firebranded and Elijah from those sprues as well, or some terrain, or backordered things when they arrive. Looking at 38ss for sure, we'll see what else happens.

large.20190929_121516.jpg.b68991c1fac0ff371820c86a01fa0f5f.jpg

• Like 5

Hi there!

For October I'll keep my painting rush trying to have all the models I need for the UK nationals.  

* Brutal effigy: 4 SS

* Dr. Grimwell: 9 SS

* Guild investigator: 7 SS

* Death Marshall recruiter: 7 SS

* Domador de cadáveres: 7 SS

* 3 x Sanctioned Spellcaster: 12 SS (3 x 4 SS)

* Pathfinder: 6 SS

For a total of 9 models and 49 SS. If there is time I'll add four clockwork traps for 8 additional SS.

• Like 4

Last night i took a photo of my pledge for this month; Goryshche,  proxy for Alphonse, the First Mate, Sammy and a townhouse...

oc3vJjy.jpg

... and then just this morning, i finished painting two of those;

r8MWcKK.jpg

Goryshche and the townhouse (the Broken is for scale). :D

With just 3 models left I'm tempted to add to my pledge... but i might just wait and see how much progress i make before leaping ahead with yet more!

• Like 8

October already! 

I started working on Mah Tucket and her totem. I am also slowly chipping away at the War Wabbit. That mini is quite big and quite difficult to paint assembled. Well, learn from my mistakes and don't glue those riders, if you get one 😆

In other news I bought lovely Kaeris, so I might try that nice style @Winterbloom used on his Ressers.

And I'd also like to make a display board for the Lacroix, probably from a picture frame. I've never made one, so I am currently debating slots (nicer, more difficult) or no slots (easier for a first board, more versatile). Probably no slots.

This is more of a wishlist than a pledge, I hope to get at least Little Lass done by the end of the month 😆

• Like 5

I've got something planned for Rotten Harvest, but I want to finish off my Euripides crew also, so I'm pledging a couple gigants, and thoon, and a bultungin who needs some paint. I also have some ice pillar markers that I need to finish so lets see how that goes.  So 30 something ss this month if I can pull it off.

Also, thanks @Caedrus for creating the motivation to get some grey off the shelf!  This has been really great to keep the brush wet and the models moving. :D

• Like 3

Hello,

here are the 3 scenics I plan to go after in next weeks:

A. It's one of the larger scenic in the kit. It has a stone and a wooden part, so I consider it quite easy to paint. 

IMG-20191003-151039.jpg

B.  It's the larger section of ruins with a stone, a wooden and a metal part.

IMG-20191003-155942.jpg

C. The smaller scenic in the set has the same components (stone, wood, metal) as B.
IMG-20191003-160001.jpg

I plan to airbrush the stone parts and brush paint the metal and wooden ones.

• Like 4

On 9/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, Nikodemus said:

Haven't decided yet, but I might do something for the Rotten Harvest competition, in which case I can't post any of it here until that's concluded. I'll let you know once I know.

Link for convenience:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/gallery/category/126-rotten-harvest-2019/

I'm definitely joining the rotten harvest too... Unfortunately what i have in mind is not malifaux related... so I'll have to push a bit further to get some mali done!