Rasputina vs Mah Tucket

OwlbearCamus

Hey all. I'm hoping my fellow Arcanists can help me with an upcoming match.

I'm scheduled to play our local Gremlin player on Sunday. Masters haven't been declared yet, but there's a very good chance it will wind up being Rasputina vs Mah Tucket. Last time we had such a match, he brought two Soulstone Miners and the Lucky Emissary and spent most of the game merrily destroying all of my carefully summoned ice pillars.

The game is 40SS, and this is my usual load out for Rasputina:

Rasputina

Wendigo

Snowstorm

Ice Golem

Blessed of December

Silent One

Hoarcat w/ Magical Training

Any tips, tricks, or recommendations on how to handle a Mah Tucket crew hell bent on destroying each and every ice pillar?

First I'd swap the Hoarcat for a SS miner, you will need the extra stones and it gives you a way to tie up shooters or play Armor Piercing chicken with his Miners.

Next I'd swap the Golem for an Acolyte, if he's taking 2 miners you will want that Analyze Weakness, and you can use the harpoon gun to drag things into Raspy's threat range. Maybe use the SS saved to put Soulstone Cache on the Blessed so you can stone for it's great triggers.

Overall, i'd worry less about ice pillar proliferation and more about throwing out attacks to apply slow as broadly as possible. Mah has relatively little condition removal: she has it on a trigger (but she really prefers the Focus trigger on that same action), and BBB has it on an Action (but that's AP he isn't using to fix his deck, and relies on him being unactivated and in position to do it).

• Agree 1

Hmm. I've never used an Acolyte before. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of it being a fair trade for the Ice Golem as he's been a very effective beater for me so far. I guess there's no other way to find out but to do it. 

If I swap the Hoarcat for the Soulstone Miner but leave the magical training intact, I'm only left with two stones. If I purchase a Soulstone Cache for the Blessed, that will leave me with a cache of zero stones. Is the return rate on the Soulstone Miner high enough that it's worth it going into the game with zero stones?

21 minutes ago, OwlbearCamus said:

Hmm. I've never used an Acolyte before. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of it being a fair trade for the Ice Golem as he's been a very effective beater for me so far. I guess there's no other way to find out but to do it. 

If I swap the Hoarcat for the Soulstone Miner but leave the magical training intact, I'm only left with two stones. If I purchase a Soulstone Cache for the Blessed, that will leave me with a cache of zero stones. Is the return rate on the Soulstone Miner high enough that it's worth it going into the game with zero stones?

You're looking at a net 0 stone change. SS Miner costs you 1 more than Cat, Acolyte costs you 3 less than Golem, throw the two you saved into SS cache. Then the Miner will get you +1 each turn that it isn't going on an Armor Piercing attack run or dead (so probably 2-3 over the course of the game), and the Blessed can get you one every time something dies near it to offset it's expenditures.

The reason I suggest dropping the Golem is that Mah's crew can run circles around it, or put it in the dirt relatively easily with Armor Piercing from the Miners, Analyze Weakness from Sparks, or just high spike damage from Mah herself. And given how easily Mah can remove ice pillars the golem may not have enough around to fuel his abilities. It's 50mm base and lack of movement options also make her Pit Trap markers a potentially serious issue for it.