Gunfighter and One More Question

isilmeon

Question

Hi guys. I recently acquired Nellie and played one game for her, after which I had a discussion with my opponent. The situation was as follows: Parker has a "gunfighter" ability, the Journalist is next to him at 1", and Nelly targets Parker with the action “One more question.” The question is - Parker engaging the Journalist? The opponent say that since there is a word  "may" in the description of the ability, he himself chooses whether he is engaging model at any given moment or not. But it seems to me somewhat wrong, because then it turns out that he can keep models in the engaging, but at the same time completely avoid negative effects of that engaging.

image.png.642332eb763a359c4332fa9d19c6d64c.png 

image.thumb.png.12a658ca2719f634ce2e7203f4dad406.png

9 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, isilmeon said:

Hi guys. I recently acquired Nellie and played one game for her, after which I had a discussion with my opponent. The situation was as follows: Parker has a "gunfighter" ability, the Journalist is next to him at 1", and Nelly targets Parker with the action “One more question.” The question is - Parker engaging the Journalist? The opponent say that since there is a word  "may" in the description of the ability, he himself chooses whether he is engaging model at any given moment or not. But it seems to me somewhat wrong, because then it turns out that he can keep models in the engaging, but at the same time completely avoid negative effects of that engaging.

image.png.642332eb763a359c4332fa9d19c6d64c.png 

image.thumb.png.12a658ca2719f634ce2e7203f4dad406.png

I think that may be the only situation where engaging another model has a negative consequence for the engaging model.

In M2E, the precedent from chamgelings would be that models with Gunfighter wouldn’t be able to use Gunfighter to get quantum engagement ranges.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, solkan said:

I think that may be the only situation where engaging another model has a negative consequence for the engaging model.

In M2E, the precedent from chamgelings would be that models with Gunfighter wouldn’t be able to use Gunfighter to get quantum engagement ranges.  

In this case, another question arises: Do models with a gunfighter have any engaging?

I think it could be argued either way, but I think that the gunfighter model counts as engaging. From page 26 of the digital book:

Every model has an engagement range based on the range of its longest (melee) Action.

So even though he has a 'may' for when he gets to apply the melee attack, the engagement range is actually just a quality he has based on the longest melee action he has. I'd say his engagement range is always 1", but the attack action itself will behave differently based on which mode he is using. And since 'engaging/engaged' depends on engagement range, then the model is engaging.

Could easily argue it the other way though.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, isilmeon said:

In this case, another question arises: Do models with a gunfighter have any engaging?

I would certainly rule they have an engagement range of 1". And so they are engaging all enemy models within 1" and line of sight.

In other cases you can have engament ranges with actions that you can't use the attacks on ( Kaeris has a 2" engagement range even against models with flying. She won't be able to take a disengaging strike against a flying model, but she is still engaging it )

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, KuronoGray said:

So can you say "No , I don't want to treat my Shooting as a Melee action" if you need to? 

In my view, you can't say that for engagement range. You always have your engagement range, regardless of whether you're using the ability or not.

When you're using the ability, you decide whether it is a melee ability or shooting ability.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, solkan said:

We have another negative consequence: Hidden Martyrs.

Can it be possible to score Hidden Martyrs against a model with Gunfighter? 😕 

4 hours ago, ShinChan said:

We have another negative consequence: Hidden Martyrs.

Can it be possible to score Hidden Martyrs against a model with Gunfighter? 😕 

I think the rulings would be the same.

If you accept my interpretation above (the engagement range always exists), then hidden martyrs can be scored.

If you play it where you can turn engagement range on and off, you can't score it against a model that only has ranged attacks.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:58 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think it could be argued either way, but I think that the gunfighter model counts as engaging. From page 26 of the digital book:

So even though he has a 'may' for when he gets to apply the melee attack, the engagement range is actually just a quality he has based on the longest melee action he has. I'd say his engagement range is always 1", but the attack action itself will behave differently based on which mode he is using. And since 'engaging/engaged' depends on engagement range, then the model is engaging.

Could easily argue it the other way though.

but he may say that he has no melee atack) i think the word "may" complitely said that the model chooses every situation is she engagind someone or not