Blurry cards

Beta

So...sadly this still seems to be an issue. I've brought it up in the beta but seemed to be the only one with that issue. Now I know of at least one member in our gaming club, that he hast the same problem on his Android device (I'm using Apple).
The text on the cards is blurry. Zooming in or our doesn't change anything. On a tablet (iPad) it is the same for landscape mode...if you change orientation the text gets totally pixelated.
I don't know if it is visible enough on the screenshots but I've atteched one from my iPhone and one from my iPad.

IMG_1205.PNG

IMG_0964.PNG

That is the standard resolution of the images in the app, and as stated, the cards would otherwise take up a very large amount of space.

The idea of allowing external storage was brought up look 12 hours before the planned launch, which was already in motion. It's something that could be looked into it the future.

I understand the compromise aspect...but not being able to red the cards for more than 1 or 2 minutes before having to look away isn't really an option either in my opinion (and as I now know I am not alone).
The stated alternative of using the hi-res PDF downloads is not really an alternative since:
- I can't search them
- They are all seperated in individual PDFs
- Creating "filters" takes a lot of time and even more space...and still handling isn't as convenient as it is in the app
- If there are updates I have to download the new cards and incorporate them manually into my "filtered" PDFs
- And last but not least is it not really helpful when using the game mode in the app

Edit: Why no hi-res option for users with enough space and hardware?

17 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

It looks very subtle. My guess is that everyone has it, but most people don't notice it.

Have you looked at the pictures in original size and compared the system/app text with the cards? Especially on the tablet screenshot I don't call that subtle.

1 hour ago, Beta said:

I understand the compromise aspect...but not being able to red the cards for more than 1 or 2 minutes before having to look away isn't really an option either in my opinion (and as I now know I am not alone).
The stated alternative of using the hi-res PDF downloads is not really an alternative since:
- I can't search them
- They are all seperated in individual PDFs
- Creating "filters" takes a lot of time and even more space...and still handling isn't as convenient as it is in the app
- If there are updates I have to download the new cards and incorporate thdem manually into my "filtered" PDFs
- And last but not least is it not really helpful when using the game moe in the app

Edit: Why no hi-res option for users with enough space and hardware?

Sorry, but the blur there was only noticeable after you pointed it out. There really isn't much difference between the two images you posted.  Certainly not enough to cause reading discomfort.  If "not being able to read the cards for more than 1 or 2 minutes" is a real problem I'd book an appointment with an optician because it sounds like you might have a more serious condition.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Beta said:

Have you looked at the pictures in original size and compared the system/app text with the cards? Especially on the tablet screenshot I don't call that subtle.

I hadn't compared them side by side. In the context of reading a card on my phone, its not very noticeable. I can imagine you would notice it more on a larger phone, or a tablet. But yes, if I look at the full res image on my PC that looks better.

Looks like it's been addressed in the link above.

Yes, it's more prominent on larger screen sizes. The screenshots don't convey how it looks on the screen that well but these are from a 10.1" QHD Android tablet: https://imgur.com/a/s6FvGiH

I understand the reason and it works well enough. Much like HQ texture packs in PC games, it would be great to have the option in the future for those with the space capacity.

The app really is great though. This just stood out to me on my initial use. Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, GrAYFoX said:

Looks like it's been addressed in the link above.

Yes, it's more prominent on larger screen sizes. The screenshots don't convey how it looks on the screen that well but these are from a 10.1" QHD Android tablet: https://imgur.com/a/s6FvGiH

I understand the reason and it works well enough. Much like HQ texture packs in PC games, it would be great to have the option in the future for those with the space capacity.

The app really is great though. This just stood out to me on my initial use. Cheers

What screen resolution (actual pixels) is that tablet?  I wonder if it's a matter of a bad mismatch between the image size that got chosen for the cards, and the screen size on your tablet.

One of the surprising things that got mentioned is that they don't currently do any dynamic card rendering (so that the devices could just use high resolution fonts), because that would have required going through and changing too much stuff in how Wyrd generates the card data.  Theoretically, that would have reduced the data size a lot, but required a lot of extra work to implement.

• Agree 1

Personally I'd prefer that they just have text rules rather than fancy images. The images are annoying to load, especially when swapping between several models over the course of a turn or even activation. On the table, I can see the appeal of the fancy cards, but in app I pretty much just want to have the rules (and if an image is necessary, a small image of the model so you can distinguish is good enough for me).

All of the loading speed issues/blur are not worth the prettiness of the cards in app IMO. I imagine a lot of players would disagree though.

3 hours ago, solkan said:

What screen resolution (actual pixels) is that tablet?  I wonder if it's a matter of a bad mismatch between the image size that got chosen for the cards, and the screen size on your tablet.

One of the surprising things that got mentioned is that they don't currently do any dynamic card rendering (so that the devices could just use high resolution fonts), because that would have required going through and changing too much stuff in how Wyrd generates the card data.  Theoretically, that would have reduced the data size a lot, but required a lot of extra work to implement.

The tablet has a resolution of 1600 x 2560 pixels, 16:10 ratio (~299 ppi density) .