Measuring tips?

Maniacal_cackle

I have an embarrassingly simple question.

I'm a bit clumsy and struggle with measuring at times. Fitting the tape measures in (especially making sure I'm measuring at the base rather than birds eye view) often results in me bumping models. Using a bird's eye view often has me misestimate distances. I think I lack some of the fine motor skills most tabletop gamers have (my painting is also atrocious).

It has been fine in casual games, but I have a tournament coming up and want to hold myself to a reasonable measuring standard. And also don't want to waste loads of time fiddling with measurement, so want to be quick, efficient, and accurate all at once.

So I have two questions:

1. What are the best tools for the job?

My main measuring tape is far too big I think. I've been thinking of measuring and cutting some pieces of string at 2/3/4/5/6/7 inches (and using masking tape to label them). I've also heard about widgets?

2. Any links to measuring technique videos?

It'd be helpful if I could see some best practice.

Thanks!

How much money do you want to throw around? :D

There are a wealth of widget-style measuring tools and specific measuring sticks out there.  ranging from "kind of sensibly priced" to "people buy these things?!?"

I get by on a single 1x2x3x5 widget and a tape measure along with the occasional proxy, but for stuff like Guild Ball (less terrain in the way, more aggressive about perfect measuring) I have a few widgets to cover common lengths and pull out the tape measure only in emergencies.

Regarding your second question, the video is not specifically Malifaux (or tape measure) related, but it's perfect for this question and shows a lot of good habits to get in, even if using a tape.

• Thanks 3

1.  my older brother broke both my hands as a child, hence also poor manual dexterity and lots of shakes (say, why did we pick a hobby that requires fine motor skills, anyway?), and I also find my widget very useful.... and I love showing mine off:ssorange.thumb.jpg.40ec0ad667034414b903992f997c9423.jpg

It does 1-6 inches on a single tool, and I can spin it and holster it like the Outcast outlaw I am!

2. Your library does what now.....?

• Like 2

That video was very useful, thanks!

@Jesy Blue, that's an awesome widget! Good to know it works even if you have issues with manual dexterity. I'll have to try something similar, maybe I can find a design to get one cut.

And yeah, my library does free laser-cutting! I think it costs them like $4 for a a square meter of board, so they currently just let you do it for free for small projects.

Dare I ask where this miraculously well funded laser library is.

The mythical land of Oz?  On the moon of Titan?  Never-neverland? The halls of Narnia?  Perhaps, the Guild sanctioned library in Malifaux itself!?

48 minutes ago, solkan said:

I think there was a trend for a bit to built "Maker Spaces", with stuff like laser cutters and 3D printers.  Is that still a thing?

Our public library has a 3D printer, but they were not happy with my proposal when I asked if they could make me a variety of markers. It was only around 100 pieces! 😅

• Haha 1

I play with lengths of aluminum wire I bought from a dollar store (you could also go to a craft store).  i have them in 3 colors. One is in multiples of 3 (3", 6", 12"), one is multiples of 4 (4", 8"), and one is multiples of 5 (5", 10"). They are nice because they make measuring movement around corners easy. I also cut one at 7" because in M2E my silurids had a 7" leap. And now in M3E I'll prooly need a 14" for a few models.

I also have a little piece of cardstock cut 1"x2" for measuring engagement range and short distances.

The only downside is having a bunch of measuring sticks sitting around the table but that doesn't bug me too much. My buddy actually built a little rack/holder for his.

I've thought about cutting a few pieces and marking off 1" segments, maybe a short 6" piece and a 12" piece. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2022 at 2:13 AM, Zifnab said:

New player here, how do you use the 50mm blast indent in the Malifaux faction widgets that come with Starter Boxes?

Id probably have started a new topic on this instead of reviving such and old dead one.  The way I do it is by positioning the template so one edge hangs over the initial target, then checking to see if the thing I want to blast onto is in the circle (doesn't have to be completely) on the other side.