How are people liking Reva these days?

Arlos896

I am absolutely new to the game and picked her as one of my first Masters to get as nobody around here already owns her. 
She seemed a bit week on first glance but I just had my first game with Reva and it went quite okay. Here is my very limited experience:

As I see it, Restless Spirit is a must for her to get the Corpse to summon (without spending an action) another Candle whenever needed. 
Killed one of Candles for my first Pyre and an extra Corpse. Then it was Vincent shooting Pyres at the enemy. Worked quite good. Candles with their pushing enemies towards Pyres are real gold. 

Also, Draugr really rock. As soon as there are a few Pyres around, getting victims for Draw Off Flame should be rather easy. After that it's picking up Shielded and Burning and transferring Burning into :+flip for any duel (awesome). They can even stand their fight for quite a while with H2W and Juggernaut (Heal). 
I am a bit disappointed with the Shieldbearers... They died like nothing, even with some Shielded stacked on them; they just don't come with enough health from the very beginning. 

Reva herself went through the enemies with ease using her Reaping producing even more Corpses and Pyres. 

The crew offers quite some pushing abilities and thus seems to be less cuddling than I expected. And that is without me bringing Lampads. 

Due to lack of experience here's my disclaimer: a very narrow and limited point of view from a brand new Malifauxian. 
Hope it still helps a bit.

For me, she has 2 different playstyles (that can be mixed). You can play the fire game or you can go for the full corpse game.

With the Pyre game, you'll be wanting to bring some Lampads, Draugrs and definitely Vincent.

But she can easily work bringing the big guys (Rider, Golem and Emissary), a gravedigger and Asura.

Shieldbearers are there to take damage that you don't want in other people, I usually bring one, but I even tried with 3 (didn't work very well, they're too slow).

• Like 1

Played Reva my last 8 games and here are my take aways but could be incorrect:

Reva dies extremely easily, keep her out of harms away. Mv 7, 3 AP and an effective 11 inch range should be okay. Do not bring her if Assassinate is in the pool

Pyre markers are a trap and not for your opponent. Burning 1 is nice but the main reasons you want them out are:
- Healing
- Summoning Corpse Candles (use these, not your valuable corpse markers)
- Lampad revival
= Everything else is just a bonus

Shieldbearers are amazing - I always bring 2 now because of their verastility. Giving them Regen + Terrifying 11 makes them extremely resilient.

Drauger are fantastic... until they die turn 2. If your opponent leaves them alive, you're going to win so keep them wrecking things on the flank of the main engagement. They are extremely easy to put down

Lampads, only bring one, you won't have the cards to support reviving 2

Find card draw mechanics. Upgrades or Anna are great for this

Vincent is okay and has a place but not an auto include. His trigger to autokill summons can be amazing depending on the matchup

Asura is good but not as good as you would expect for things like idols (a Df/Wp 3, 3 wound model waiting for a marker is going to die)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, newsun said:

Anyone tried with wanyudo?

I really like him but I haven't played him enough to have formed a good opinion. Only 3 games but each game he has been really enjoyable to play.  Causes a ton of duels, hands out burning with ease (for reva healing) and is extremely mobile. Being able to charge out of engagement and then being able to drop a scheme/explosive has definitely swung the game in my favor. Or even just charge something, hit it and then push to get that extra bit of movement is nice!

This is what I want to try with her

Burn With Me (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Reva Cortinas
Totem(s):
  Corpse Candle
  Corpse Candle 2
Hires:
  Draugr
  Draugr 2
  Lampad
    Killer Instinct
  Lampad 2
    Killer Instinct
  Asura Roten
  Restless Spirit
References:
  Corpse Candle
  Mindless Zombie

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:33 AM, newsun said:

This is what I want to try with her

Burn With Me (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Reva Cortinas
Totem(s):
  Corpse Candle
  Corpse Candle 2
Hires:
  Draugr
  Draugr 2
  Lampad
    Killer Instinct
  Lampad 2
    Killer Instinct
  Asura Roten
  Restless Spirit
References:
  Corpse Candle
  Mindless Zombie

I don't really see the point with the killer instinct on Lampads and Asura Roten in this list, Deadly pursuit is marginal at best and you are paying 2 soulstones to likely get 2 soulstones back later. I'd just go for emissary and swap a lampad or draugr for Anna Lovelace

I am not a big Reva fan...nothing against those that are I just don't see hardly any situation where I would take her over another master in the faction except maybe for a fun demo game.

However, were I to try  her I might try something like: Reva w/Upgrade, Corpse Candle, Corpse candle, Anna Lovelace, Restless Spirit, Draugr, Draugr, Lampad, Lampad

Has some movement tricks, some resiliency and recursion, and can do a decent amount of damage. 

5 hours ago, Spyrer said:

I don't really see the point with the killer instinct on Lampads and Asura Roten in this list, Deadly pursuit is marginal at best and you are paying 2 soulstones to likely get 2 soulstones back later. I'd just go for emissary and swap a lampad or draugr for Anna Lovelace

Killer Instinct will help you a lot to bring those Lampads back into position after using their Demise ability. Also, with Asura (which means a lot of MZ/Corpses), they will provide you some extra SS by either removing the corpse markers of directly the MZ, which will also trigger the "Final Veil".

10 hours ago, Spyrer said:

KI will earn it's points back so it's simply free movement.

Asura is for the exact reason she was good with her previously. Mobile corpse markers. With the added bonus of scoring for you at times by dropping markers from Rottenburg.

I keep wanting to like Reva, but I really think the Revenant Keyword needed a bit more polishing in the Beta. The issues I have with them are twofold.

1. Too much discard and no in-keyword card draw. Reva and Vincent generally want to discard a card a turn and then Lampads can discard multiple cards for their demise. This leaves you with half a hand or less if you take all three!
  2. Too many sub-themes. Pyre-markers & burning, corpse markers and shielding all make the crew very convoluted to play to the point where it's no longer synergistic. I wish the whole keyword would lose the shielded shenanigans and swap it for Burning (and not suffer damage from Burning). That would make the whole cre so much simpler!

That said, I still like the keyword and have had some success with it, it's just not as free-flowing or intuitive as any of the other keywords I've played (which have been a lot) or against.

Crew-wise

Reva - all the damage, seriously, great variety of attacks. I actually reckon The Unquiet Dead is the hidden gem. I often don't have much of a hand left when I activate Reva, so only requiring a 4+ to go off is fantastic. 2 great triggers too (cast it 6 times a turn if you're living the dream!). My favourite trick for this is to use The Forgotton Dead on a Corpse Candle. this gives you 2 Pyre Markers to use The Unquiet Dead to full effect pretty much where you need them. Her other attakcs are great too if you need more reliable damage. She's pretty fragile through, so you really don't want her in the thick of it and a few stones for damage prevention.  If you're desperate, use Feed on Grief on a Corpse Candle to heal 3wds.

Vincent - good, but I've stopped using him as I can't afford the discard for Rapid Fire.

Wanyudo - used this a lot in 10T and love it! Super mobile, great damage and more simple duels to go with The Unquiet Dead. Very much the glass cannon though.

Lampad -  I take 1 with Grave Spirit's Touch to make it super tanky. Very mobile with Hovering Flame, can get those Pyres where you need them. Not super hitty with only stat 5s, and Flaming Fury seems super niche, Breath of Fire is generally my go too unless I'm charging or need to get around Concealing.

Mourners - I love these and usually take 1-2. I'm throwing out a ton of Wp duels, so Scarlet Temptation means these go off very easily. The free Corpse marker(s) at the start of the game is gravy too!

Carrion Effissary or straight up Emissary. Great attacks, speeds up a lot of the crew. makes Mindless Zombies (Oh so useful!)

Anna Lovelace - OOK but give me some much needed card draw (hopefully she's netting me at least 2 a turn). Her gun targets Wp again and makes MZs on the trigger which is great as she generally uses her Bonus to blow these or a Corpse Candle  up!

Draugr - want to like, but oh so fragile...

Shieldbearer - Don't know why, but never been a fan... not my style maybe? Would rather...

Toshiro (and Ashigaru) - 4ss more than a Shieldbearer and gives so much (Minions hit harder & heals/Focus). Summoning Ashigaru do kind of the same thing as the Shieldbearers too with Take the Hit).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, malifauxkly said:

I am a beginner of Malifaux and I pick Reva as a starter.

Seems I will need to buy dozens more of boxes so that I can play her effectively 😅😅

I only bought 2 Draugr with me 🤣

She'll do OK without a bunch of her other keyword stuff, don't panic.  Everyone is always in a rush to get "the optimal crew" together, but you'll still see a lot of improvement just practicing with what you've got instead of buying a bunch more plastic immediately.

When The Returned box (restless spirit and Lampads) drops late this month, pick it up though.   Also be patient on those Lampads.  They were kind of an adventure to put together.

• Agree 2

On 10/3/2019 at 3:04 AM, malifauxkly said:

Seems I will need to buy dozens more of boxes so that I can play her effectively 😅😅

Don't concern yourself with efficiency, as you start out. You're gonna take a licking from experienced players anyway. Just concentrate on getting your models painted and some games under your belt, then you'll have a much better foundation to build your model collection on.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:04 AM, malifauxkly said:

I only bought 2 Draugr with me 🤣

The same is probably true of any master, and effectively in this is probably top end tournament level.

I've had some tough games facing Reva. She just has 2 or 3 different ways to focus her crew, and each way wants different models, so its more obvious with her about buying multiple boxes ( You need 1 set of models if you're going burning focused, and a different set if you're going Corpse focused.)

Don't despair, play with what you have, and see how you want to develop her. You may not like the Corpse/zombie route, so you can avoid Mourners, Zombies, Asura and Anna. Or you may not go very burny, and so not need Lampads.

There isn't a right way to play her and a right set of models to own. There might be a right way for you to play her, and the right models for you to own, but that is probably very different to my right way.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:04 AM, malifauxkly said:

I also am a very beginner. Just did my 10th game and there still is so much to learn. As with almost every other game the most important thing is that you know/learn the basic/important rules and what your models/crew's options are. The easiest way to do so is by gaming (aka practicing). The more limited your pool of models is the more you are forced to find a way to make your models work in any given situation even if the aren't especially designed for a given task. 

For same insight into my first few steps with Reva (and other Rezzers) you can also have a look here.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1