Fatemaster Friday - Something Wicked this way Comes

Kimberly

Last week I posted a great opportunity for you to get spooky and flex your creative muscles, so if you haven't seen it, check it out here!

This week, I’m delving into Through the Breach’s first Penny Dreadful: In Defense of Innocence. This adventure is full of intrigue, politics, fighting as the frontier town of Innocence is anything but. Not only TTB’s first adventure, In Defense of Innocence is responsible for two Malifaux models as well, Guild journalist Allison Dade and the Alt sculpt for Dr. McMourning, Dr. Dufrense! 

Now, before I get into the action found in this book, I have to mention the excellent set up. For you lorehounds out there, Chapters 1 and 2 of In Defense of Innocence is a great source of lore for an aspect of Malifaux that can be sometimes overlooked- the frontier towns. Allison Dade is expected to be as impartial as a Guild journalist can be (make of that what you will) but she does have a lot of information during her time living in Innocence and learning everything she can about the inhabitants. 

Chapter 1 covers the history of Innocence, including the opening of the sinkhole that turned Innocence into a mining town, the burning of the Black Pony, and the strange event known only as the Scream that seemed to herald the Neverborn raids on the growing town. Chapter 2 covers the town itself, and some of the interesting folks who call it home. This is where we first learn of Dr. Antoinette Dufrense, the widow Jane Ferris, the drunken sharpshooter Gustavo Ortega, the eerie Tatterson Flay, printer Christopher "Inkfingers" Tannenbaum, and Mayor Hannibal Crowe. Each of these dramatis personæ have their own secrets, regrets, and motivations that the Fated can learn and use to their advantage. 

In the Adventure itself, located in Chapter 3, there are three acts, each taking about 2-3 hours of playtime, depending on your group. Act I involves the Fated getting familiar with the town and learning of the recent disappearance of Dade. This provides a great opportunity for the group to make some friends and enemies depending on the choices they make. Act II revolves around the mayoral election happening, with a lot of opportunity for politicking and intrigue, as well as potentially finding out some of the closely kept secrets that Dade hasn’t already uncovered. Finally, Act III centers around preparing for an onslaught of Neverborn, and give opportunities for Fated of differing strengths to be useful in preparation and the final showdown with some nasty creatures. The ultimate fate of Innocence is revealed to the Fated in the conclusions, and shows that their choices helped shape the future of the town.

In Defence of Innocence is one of my favorite adventures in any RPG, because it has something for every kind of Fated and shows that the danger, corruption, and greed of Malifaux City can extend to the frontier as well. Now, before I get to this week’s mail-call, I want to remind everyone that our newest One-Shot, Silurid Showdown, is available on drivethrurpg! You can purchase it here! and while you're there, maybe pick up In Defense of Innocence since it's only 10$ USD. Now this week, I’d like to know which area outside of Malifaux City would you like to see explored more, and why?

I'm very curious about the Ten Thunders secret 2nd Breach and more detail of how they keep it maintained and away from prying eyes. It makes sense Breachside due to its far-removed location but where is it Earthside?

There's also the matter of the quantum mechanics of the breach portals themselves, the "main" breach runs a train through it and sometimes parts of the train don't appear on the other side. How much risk is involved taking a stroll on foot or smuggling goods through it?