Focus and Triggers or Demise abilities

Qracy

Question

Hi everybody,

just to be sure that I understood it correctly, if I use Focus in an opposed Duel, any Trigger (Offensive, Resistance, e.g. Ricochet or Lady J's Counterattack) that causes a damage flip is an "resulting damage flip" and gains the :+flip?

What about the Guild Steward's Demise ability? If I use the Focus when being attacked by an enemy model and will be killed, does the damage flip of his Demise ability count as an resulting damage flip?

3 answers to this question

First question: I believe so, yes. The rules for Focused read:

Before performing an Opposed duel, this model may lower the value of this condition by 1 to receive a :+flipto the duel (and any resulting damage flip this model makes).

Now it does say "resulting damage flip" rather than "resulting damage flips," but I think it still works if an opposed duel results in multiple damage flips. Otherwise, you run into the question of "WHICH damage flip does the use of Focused apply to?"

Further more,  Triggers are part of the action that the model used Focus on. The rules for Action Triggers (digital rulebook, page 12) read:

Action Triggers are tied to specific Actions and can only be used with that Action. They are found below an Action effect and are subject to all game effects that affect that Action (such as Incorporeal or :+flipflips to damage).

So if the Focused bonus would apply to any damage flips from the Triggers resulting from the opposed duel that the model used Focused on (as would the accuracy modifier, etc.).

On that note, I'm not sure how this works if a Trigger makes a damage flip against a different model than the target that might impose different modifiers, but that is a different question.

As for Resistance Triggers, I believe that Focused would also apply to those. The rules for Focused say that it applies to the duel, and the resistance trigger is part of the duel, so any damage flips included in its effects are resulting from that duel.

Second question: No, Focused does not apply to Demise effects. The demise is not resulting from the opposed duel as a resistance trigger is, but is a separate ability that has nothing to do with any duels that might have been made.

So

I'd like to see this question in a FAQ, because the rules are too general about it. "any resulting damage flip" could even be argued that it apply to the damage flip of an onslaught attack triggered by that attack (which It doesn't)

1 hour ago, Allandrel said:

Action Triggers are tied to specific Actions and can only be used with that Action. They are found below an Action effect and are subject to all game effects that affect that Action (such as Incorporeal or :+flipflips to damage).

Thie above rulling is the reason action triggers with damage flip also get that :+flip; but defensive trigger doesn't have such rule; so it's not clear if the :+flip is also applied to these.

Most defensive triggers that have a damage flip are "After succeeding", which happens after the action is done, so as a consequence to the defensive flip but not as part of the same action (check pg 23 "resolving actions").

The wording of Focused seems to me that try to say the :+flip flip is applied only to the damage flips of that action, but the rule in the action triggers let that bonus also apply to action triggers (and that rule is missing from the resistance triggers)

So... rules aren't 100% clear... I'd say the defensive triggers doesn't get the :+flip, because if the :+flip is applied to the defensive trigger (damage flip outside of the action), it could also be applied using the same logic to the damage flip of said onslaught extra attack... but I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

The problem with applying Focus to Resistance Triggers is that the same reasoning would cause the Accuracy modifier to apply.

Accuracy Fate Modifiers occur when there is a variable flip (often a damage flip) as the result of an opposed duel.

There are so many Resistance Triggers with “cannot be cheated” or built in negative modifiers that I can’t imagine the Accuracy modifier or Focused are supposed to apply to Resistance Triggers.

• Agree 1