Walking Dead

PirateCaptain

Question

Looking for an official ruling.

Walking Dead states "If the Corpse Marker would be removed, this model is killed and does not Drop a Corpse Marker"

For actions that would remove a Corpse Marker (e.g. Cremation), which ability counts as having "killed" the model with Walking Dead, the action that removed the marker or walking dead itself?

I honestly believe both interpretations make sense, and so what an official ruling one way or another.

10 answers to this question

The Execute trigger also says “it is killed” rather than “kill it”.  And I think people are going to expect credit for Execute.

So Walking Dead is the effect that kills the model, as far as I can tell.

I think the ability would have to say “it is killed instead” or “it is killed by that effect” for the remover to be credited for the kill.  Compare things like Lucius Matheson’s Subtrefuge where the loyalty of the Scheme Marker changes but not who drops it.  

• Like 1

As a somewhat unreasonable comparison, there's not necessarily a reason to believe that if an ability does damage that the ability does the killing.

The rules state that

Killed models are always considered to be killed by the model that generated the Action or Ability that killed them

When a model reaches 0 Health, it is killed.

The first statement is tautological (if an ability kills a model, it kills a model). Nowhere does it actually say "if an ability does sufficient damage to kill a model, the the model counts as killing a model."

Nonetheless, we are all able to make an obvious inference: the damage is what kills the model.

In a similar vein, the cremation ability removes the marker (which we know has the effect of killing it, thanks to the Walking Dead text).  It seems to me a reasonable inference that Cremation removes the 'corpse marker', and Walking dead clarifies this removal counts as killing.

This isn't ironclad, so the other interpretation is reasonable too. But I think the interpretation that it counts as killing is equally reasonable.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, newsun said:

If someone obeys a model to attack another and the attacked model is killed, who gets credit for the killing?

I think this one has a clear-cut answer in the rules, but can't quite remember it. I think the obeyed model counts as doing it, so it counts as a friendly kill.

Thus, if Zoraida obeys someone to kill a Take Prisoner target, she can still score the point at the end of the game.

My personal reading is that the killing is done by the walking dead ability.

I, likewise, don't think a model that is killed at the end of the game because it is buried counts as being killed by the model that buried it.

In my simple world the killing is done by the model that has the damage track on it, or include the words that that model is killed. I've not yet seen anything that doesn't fit this. and it hasn't caused any complications so far.

3 hours ago, newsun said:

If someone obeys a model to attack another and the attacked model is killed, who gets credit for the killing?

The model was killed by the model that was obeyed, from. So you can use this to try and score the second point of deliver the message by Friendly kill (or deny it by enemy kill).

Also just to say Wyrd don't give official rulings in the forum. You will have to wait and see if the issue gets mentioned in a FAQ.

And no, I know of no way to make sure they include it in a FAQ, they will be aware of the question because they do read these forums.