Who are the good guys?

Caver Ramos

As opposed to Warhammer 40,000, Malifaux is not as Grim Dark when it comes to the masters you can choose I find. There is at least a couple of "Good Guys" in each faction and most (Not All) are written from a sympathetic light. It's not like 40k where the Chaos Space Marines flipped a switch and became evil overnight. Hoffman stops people from using organic tissue with cybernetics, but was a hypocrite because he was doing the same thing to his brother. Kirai was summoning the dead in order to get revenge on the people who killed her fiance. 

5 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

He's not a cyborg... he's wearing an exoskeleton.

No, he's not. It fused with him when the GG ascended to the Burning Man iirc? As part of the avatars going away.

5 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

he's an equal opportunity good cop: he's killing magic users, necromancers, zombies, constructs, and cyborgs.

You know, I'm not sure what a "good cop" is supposed to look like in a fascist regime but killing magic users and cyborgs are real fucked up since he's a magic using cyborg. He isn't a good guy, even by Malifaux standards.

4 hours ago, Thedeadclaw said:

You know, I'm not sure what a "good cop" is supposed to look like in a fascist regime but killing magic users and cyborgs are real fucked up since he's a magic using cyborg. He isn't a good guy, even by Malifaux standards.

Yeah, because police shouldn’t use guns to kill bad guys that use guns to kill people.  🤯

I’m pretty sure that dual faction Guild/Arcanists is there as “Arcanist sympathisizer.”  

On 9/21/2019 at 9:53 PM, solkan said:

Yeah, because police shouldn’t use guns to kill bad guys that use guns to kill people.  🤯

I’m pretty sure that dual faction Guild/Arcanists is there as “Arcanist sympathisizer.”  

That dual faction is actually explained in the new arcanist book. I won't go into details, so that I don't spoil too much, but Hoffman figures there are more important things to deal with in Malifaux than Arcanists and is willing to cooperate with some of them if it helps him handle more urgent problems.

17 hours ago, Necrokamo said:

@Ogid, those are minor details.  They can always lead a full and happy life in the sewers of Malifaux as Depleteds 😋

They'll be happy the rest of their life.... they're short, disgusting, hollow life!

4 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

They'll be happy the rest of their life.... they're short, disgusting, hollow life!

But is a life expectancy greater than of a bayou dweller :D

On other hand, a good character is Perdita, she always protects ($$$$) the inhabitants of Malifaux from the attacks of the Neverborn and even saved Sonia from one of her "Cherufe's moments" (and that evil woman doesn't invite her to play poker 😠).

• Like 1

Guess it's really all a matter of point of view.

While I agree that most of the Gremlins really aren't evil (also they are hilarious), the OP lists Toni and Mei Fang as good in Arcanists, and they are  2 of the most wretched and despicable characters in the whole story as far as I'm concerned.

I do feel bad for some of the tragic characters even though they are clearly evil (Kirai, Molly, Asami, collodi....) except maybe Zoraida who could be considered only tragic.

1 hour ago, SirRocketPants said:

I do feel bad for some of the tragic characters even though they are clearly evil (Kirai, Molly, Asami, collodi....) except maybe Zoraida who could be considered only tragic.

Are Kirai/Molly actually evil?  Granted they're not above a bit of murder, but so far as I know they contain said murder to people who "deserve" it.  Or are we putting the "righteous kill" more in the "murder" camp, in which case yeah I guess.

Collodi is clearly nuts and is/was picking off random people in the street, I have no complaint there.

I don't know enough about Asami to make that call.  Last time I read fluff on her was her origin story.

3 hours ago, Clement said:

Are Kirai/Molly actually evil?  Granted they're not above a bit of murder, but so far as I know they contain said murder to people who "deserve" it. 

They are pretty indiscriminate in the new ressur book with some of their killing... Molly might be going a bit crazy though, so is a factor. 

36 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

They are pretty indiscriminate in the new ressur book with some of their killing... Molly might be going a bit crazy though, so is a factor. 

I think you’re being a bit unfair.  Hardly any innocent people died in Kirai’s and Molly’s stories, when they could help it.  Not like the other story in that book.  😬

5 minutes ago, solkan said:

I think you’re being a bit unfair.  Hardly any innocent people died in Kirai’s and Molly’s stories, when they could help it.  Not like the other story in that book.  😬

Eh, there were several guardsmen in Molly's story that seemed just like normal people that she had no qualms with killing or worse. They might have been bad people, but there wasn't really a lot to go on. And, well, Kirai... most of those were likely bad people, but, without giving anything away, she had no real issue killing innocents if needed.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Eh, there were several guardsmen in Molly's story that seemed just like normal people that she had no qualms with killing or worse. They might have been bad people, but there wasn't really a lot to go on. And, well, Kirai... most of those were likely bad people, but, without giving anything away, she had no real issue killing innocents if needed.

Without giving anything away...

In Molly’s defense, a lot of those people deserved it or just weren’t being reasonable.  And Kirai felt bad.  The two characters I’m not going to name didn’t even seem to feel bad about what they did.

Isn’t “Nice people, for Ressers” pretty good?  :) 

Kirai was about to cross the line between killing for defending herself to kill to fulfill her obsessions (the rite) although after the conclusion of her story it would be to seen what new attitude Kirai will take. No one denies that she prevented Plague from consuming Malifaux in a pestilent cloud during the passage of the comet (heroine :D) but it gives the impression that ikiryo will be the dominant personality by becoming her new totem for this edition ( :() .

On 9/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, Paddywhack said:

Sure :) They are probably the nicest of the Resurrs. Though VonSchtook is just trying to help people better themselves too 😄

I just dont get Von Schill, on the outside he looks like a nice guy, whose scientific pursuits lead him to start practicing necromancy, ala mcmourning. 

I just dont see him being as blatantly evil as his student...

38 minutes ago, Caver Ramos said:

I just dont get Von Schill, on the outside he looks like a nice guy, whose scientific pursuits lead him to start practicing necromancy, ala mcmourning. 

I just dont see him being as blatantly evil as his student...

Von Schtook, Von Schill is the leader of the Freikorps. 

This is open to debate, but I think this list works to interpret each character's general outlook.

The Good
Motivated by the "greater good" (though their interpretations vary). 

Basse
Hoffman
Justice
Nellie

Perdita
Euripides
Lilith
Zoraida
Molly
Reva

Ironsides
Mei Feng
Sandeep
Misaki
Brewmaster
Ophelia

The Bad
Ruthless and often sadistic in pursuit of their obsessions.

Sonnia
Lucius

Jack Daw

Kirai
Seamus
McMourning

Nicodem
Von Schtook

Collodi
Dreamer
Nekima
Pandora

Titania
Kaeris
Ramos
Rasputina

Hamelin
Tara

Asami
Shenlong
Yan Lo

The Ugly
Nominally self-interested, but adaptive and pragmatic enough to know when to look at the big picture. 

Barker
Colette
Marcus
Leveticus
Parker
Viktoria(s)

Von Schill
Zipp
Lucas
Lynch
Youko

Mah Tucket