Deployment and Positioning - an in depth tactica

Cronex13

-nods- thats not a bad thought, but it only works if I can kill him before he activates. Otherwise, once the sword is out, the minions don't need him to toss it around to each other. Whereas killing Asami early prevents summoning every turn. That's a tough choice in priorities. Also, I like the idea of getting rid of Asami earlier because McCabe lacks the same defensive tech, will be more able to kill later on in the game when I'm model deprived.

No Prisoners ins't bad, but a 2" shockwave is better of course. Thralls are good models all around, but I know he doesn't have any. Proxy them maybe? Papa might actually be better, his Shockwave is brutal! He may not survive long once the opponent know about his damage potential though. If nothing else, shockwaves can force him to use cards. 

I'm also not sold on Grimwell. One of his action is pretty useless unless you bring a other Asylum. Nurse Heartsbane has similar dmg potential and a 10" Wp attack that gives Staggered and either a discard or Slow. It has to target a model engaged with a friendly, but I don't think that will be too hard. Creep Along is a psuedo Nimble and she has Serene Countenance to help in defense, all at 2SS less. 

Domador, which I know you don't have but could proxy, have Decay with Blast on weak that hands out Injured. And her Decay can Heal friendly models so no worries about splashing them. Keep 'em behing the front line spashing Injured on models and looking for a good chance for an Obey here and there (Obey on  Undead and any living within 5" count as Undead). Vile Reclamation hands out an Injured too. Start stacking those up on a model and they'll fold pretty quick. Not the cheapest model out there, but might be worth playing with. Hard to get in range, but if you can Obey a Jorogumo to charge Asami :) They've got a nice Pulse for damage too if they get stuck in and survive for a turn (not likely I know).

Interesting! 

As far as AoE damage, I'll admit, my opponent doesn't tend to group up too hard with his models. The advantage of 2" engagement ranges I suppose, but having the tools to hand out AoE is never detrimental!

I'm intrigued by the idea of Heartsbane over Grimwell. I was very sad that she was so useless last edition and haven't been very impressed this edition either, but you're right, she does seem to have similar abilities. My thinking is that Grimwell would do better because he has better stats and access to soulstones, which is super important in a scenario so kill focused.

1 hour ago, Lord J said:

... Mmm, that's a remarkable number of shockwaves... If only we had a mediocre player who could assemble a Shockwave thematic crew... 🤔

I feel like I've been summoned.

I've done some theory faux around instead using a lucius crew with one or two riflemen with the upgrade and lots of obeying to throw a bunch in a turn.  I've previously tried the Kore grenade spam with little enough success though that I haven't done it.

Edited by 4thstringer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I feel like I've been summoned.

I've done some theory faux around instead using a lucius crew with one or two riflemen with the upgrade and lots of obeying to throw a bunch in a turn.  I've previously tried the Kore grenade spam with little enough success though that I haven't done it.

I also tried a shockwave heavy game with 2 thralls with no prisonners and it wasn't that good! My opponent got lucky for sure on one turn when he flipped just high enough for 4 models in range of one shockwave but I've found they don't do enough dmg for a low TN that opponent have good ways to avoid when he really need it. So most of the time my opponent just didn't care about the few dmg or when he wanted to protect the important pieces he just cheated his moderate.

Also after getting hit by one on 4 models he just spaced out his models and it was really hard to target more than 1-2 models! 😕 THe Thralls have been way more threatening for me as melee monsters instead of shockwave flingers!

• Like 1

Alright, more of an update:

Turn 1, I committed everything. Killed a Jurogumo and Dawn Serpent. From the getgo, EVERYTHING rushed Asami and her friends.

My opponent spent the game backpedaling. He managed to go a turn without a 13 so he only summoned an Obsidian Oni, and then the next turn he black jokered his attempt on a Jurogumo.

I tabled the enemy, wiped em out. Won the game 6-3.

Lots of injure really helped deal with them, so good. And the drain on his hand from Grimwell was excessive, plus he was discarding to protect Asami.

• Like 3