Soulstone Usage

TheJoyInGaming

Question

Hey all. I think I have been playing Soulstones incorrectly, but I wanted to confirm. I have been playing it as though you could only use a single Soulstone for each aspect of a Duel, but still could use multiple if each one was spent for something different ie if I used a :rangedattack to shoot at an engaged model I could spend a Stone to cancel out the :-flipand another to add a Suit of my choosing.

I was just reading the rulebook again and it says on Pg. 27:

Enhance a Duel: Before any cards are flipped in a duel, a  model  that  can  use  Soulstones  may  spend  a  single Soulstone to add a + to its flip or to add a suit of its choice  to  its  final  duel  total.  If  both  models  involved in the duel can use Soulstones, the attacker declares its Soulstone use (or lack of use) first. (Emphasis Mine)

This leads me to believe that I may not use a Soulstone for both.

Any answers are appreciated. Thank you.

10 answers to this question

The best way of answering this is, I think, listing out the maximum amount of soul stones that can be spent for Henchman A attacks Henchman B, and things go poorly for the defender.

• Henchman A spends a soulstone to enhance their duel, choosing either a positive flip or a suit (bullet point 2)
  • Henchman B spends a soulstone to enhance their duel, choosing either a positive flip or a suit (bullet point 2)
  • Henchman B spends a soulstone to block damage, putting a negative modifier on the damage flip. (bullet point 3)
  • Henchman B spends a soulstone to reduce damage, trying to reduce the damage by 1/2/3 (bullet point 4)

for total expenditures:

• Henchman A spent 1 soulstone
  • Henchman B spent 3 soulstones

Henchman B can spend 3 soulstones because it's spending on three different game effects, as per

A model can only use one Soulstone at a time for any game effect.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I don't believe you could use two soulstones for both a :-flipand a suit, because both effects fall under "modify the duel with soulstones," which I take to be a single effect albeit with two options.

However, I believe you could use them defensively to give a :-flipto damage and then to reduce damage, because they're two different effects (modifying the damage flip vs reducing the final damage total) and they happen at different stages in the resolution timing system (damage timing steps 1 and 3, respectively).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LeperColony said:

use two soulstones for both a :-flipand a suit

Pro-tip: don't use the stone for a :+flip when Shenlong has the Fermented River Style attached. 😉

Jokes aside, as it says 1 SS at a time per game effect, I'd say you can use it once per each effect of the page 27 (:+flipduel OR suit,:-flipdamage and damage reduction). But as afaik game effect isn't defined, it could be different.

However something in the wording make me think... Draw cards and Reduce Damage use the wording "a soulstone", while Enhance a Duel and Block Damage use "a single soulstone"... does this mean you can use multiple SS to use these 2 effects multiple times to draw multiple cards or reduce the damage of a bit hit, but you can only use 1 SS for the Duel and the damage?

However something in the wording make me think... Draw cards and Reduce Damage use the wording "a soulstone", while Enhance a Duel and Block Damage use "a single soulstone"... does this mean you can use multiple SS to use these 2 effects multiple times to draw multiple cards or reduce the damage of a bit hit, but you can only use 1 SS for the Duel and the damage?

They’ve got their own individual bullet points and bold headings.  That’s about as much as they can put in the text to demark the distinct effects.

And, no, you can’t turn “a soulstone” into “two soulstones” to draw multiple cards.  :) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, solkan said:

They’ve got their own individual bullet points and bold headings.  That’s about as much as they can put in the text to demark the distinct effects.

And, no, you can’t turn “a soulstone” into “two soulstones” to draw multiple cards.  :) 

Yeah, better this way, but I wanted to double check that difference in the wording (the possible alternative reading of "1 SS at a time" is "consecutively as long as you aren't limited to use just 1 SS", letting you draw 2 cards, discard and then spend another SS to do it again for example)

Hi guys! 

Little follow up question:

Can I soulstone to add a suit that is already attached to the stat, to increase further outcome, if there is no limit to the effect?

For example, Hamelin's Lure has the Taint trigger: "target gets number of blight token equal to the number of crows in the final duel".

Lure has a crow built in, and say I flip or cheat with a crow. Could I also use one soulstone to get an additional crow, and end up with 3 crows? 

Thanks folks!

10 minutes ago, poulpox said:

Hi guys! 

Little follow up question:

Can I soulstone to add a suit that is already attached to the stat, to increase further outcome, if there is no limit to the effect?

For example, Hamelin's Lure has the Taint trigger: "target gets number of blight token equal to the number of crows in the final duel".

Lure has a crow built in, and say I flip or cheat with a crow. Could I also use one soulstone to get an additional crow, and end up with 3 crows? 

Thanks folks!

Yes you can add a suit that is already going to be present to give you multiple of that suit