Pandora - Misery

Lamellarlucy

Question

Can the "Misery" rule present on the "Woe" keyword's models affect a single enemy model more than once off of a single stunned condition? The ability appears to be an Aura, and on page 30 of the rulebook it states that a multiple auras with the same name do not stack but i have seen many people saying that the simultaneous damage from multiple "Misery" triggers is a core component of the "Woe" keyword. How does this work?

Example.

An enemy model is within ''Misery'' range of Pandora, Candy, and a Sorrow. Pandora afflicts the model with the Stunned condition. Can all three models trigger their "Misery" ability, dealing 3 damage, or does the rule on Pg. 30 come into effect here, dealing only one damage, and requiring the removal and re-application of the stunned condition to take advantage of the two remaining "Misery" abilities?

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

@Ogid, what in the rulebook is leading you to that interpretation?

pg 33 of the rulebook

"A model can only take an Action or Ability that is once per Activation once during an Activation."

The fact that missery dealed damage, moved something, the move was cancelled for an planted roots or the effect was non applied for the general rules of the aura just doesn't matter for the "once per".

Once per activation = Ability trigger, ability try to resolve its effects, ability cannot trigger again util the next activation.

58 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

A Misery only gets used up when it is applied in my view. According to my reading of the above rules, a model only applies one misery to itself at a time.

Applying it this way you are trying to apply an "once per activation" effect multiple times until it finally affect something.

If the Woe player must apply either the push or the damage (and if that's the case, I've no idea why the ability says "may" instead of "must," being as those two words are practical opposites), then they must choose for each aura that would trigger when a model gains a condition, and then the affected model's controller would choose which one applies - regardless, all of the auras would have satisfied their "once per activation" clause.

I do not, however, believe that it is a valid interpretation to say that the Woe player must either push or damage the target. I believe that interpretation either gives no meaning to the word "may" or changes it to mean "must," either of which is a cardinal sin in rules interpretation.

If the intent of Misery was to function like most other Auras like Life-leech etc that it would be worded without may and function like every other Aura, and would probably have its effect increased to suit.

What confuses me more is how some seem to continue to double down and focus 1 rule in the book, miss the How to play section of the rule-book for contradiction situations like these, OR in the abilities rules section. "When an Active Ability come into effect (ie when i decide to use a models Misery effect) resolve the effect step by step in the order as listed in the ability. So basically the Misery Aura is in range but  not in effect until conditions are met, When they are met,the controller decides for a Misery model to come into effect, at which there is only 1 Aura affecting the target regardless of how many other models with Misery are in range, I can then chose to either apply 1 damage or move it 2.

Again this has already been explained by others so i wont break it down even further :)