Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Lamellarlucy

Pandora - Misery

Question

Can the "Misery" rule present on the "Woe" keyword's models affect a single enemy model more than once off of a single stunned condition? The ability appears to be an Aura, and on page 30 of the rulebook it states that a multiple auras with the same name do not stack but i have seen many people saying that the simultaneous damage from multiple "Misery" triggers is a core component of the "Woe" keyword. How does this work?

Example.

An enemy model is within ''Misery'' range of Pandora, Candy, and a Sorrow. Pandora afflicts the model with the Stunned condition. Can all three models trigger their "Misery" ability, dealing 3 damage, or does the rule on Pg. 30 come into effect here, dealing only one damage, and requiring the removal and re-application of the stunned condition to take advantage of the two remaining "Misery" abilities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 2
3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

EDIT: Actually, rereading it precisely, the 'may' only applies to the 'either.' So you HAVE to apply one effect (move it or it takes damage).

The reading you're attempting to claim is inconsistent with common sense.

The "may" in Misery means that the model with Misery gets to choose whether to apply the effect at all.  If (for some unknown reason), two Misery models decided to apply their aura effects to the same model, then the Aura rule concerning choosing would apply.

The simple fact of the matter is that the player controlling the models with Misery would have to be an idiot to say "Both of these models want to apply their auras to your model."

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

The aura rules specify that only one of the auras applies (opponent's choice), that's why they don't all get used up at the same time.

For reference, please see this previous thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Quote

Auras are not cumulative. If a model would be affected by multiple Auras of the same name (i.e., if the Aura would change its game state in some way), then it is only affected by one such Aura of its controller’s choice.

The opponent gets to choose which aura applies (which is useful, since the auras are once per activation, they can avoid you hitting them twice that activation with the aura), and it only applies once.

If you're wanting to know how Pandora 'works' in terms of viability, Misery looks like a pretty powerful effect on paper. Even applying it a few times is going to be more than enough.

The people saying that 'simultaneous' damage is critical to woe are simply incorrect as far as I can see? They may mean spamming misery damage (aka, hitting them with the effect over and over during the course of a turn).

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

An important note here: Missery is an aura that "may" be activated, so the player isn't forced to activate every aura in range (In fact doing so is a mistake); also you can trigger it with different conditions, not only with stunned.

The best way to use them is choosing the one you want to activate after each effect. In your example Pandora (all), Candy (fast) and Sorrow (stunned) near of a model. Let's say you activate Candy and use Glimpse of insanity to give Stunned, getting the burnt out trigger and giving it also fast.  Then you attack with self loathing and use oportunistic to give her a :+flip and, more important, remove fast. After that your last action is a successful use of "Temper Tantrum" to give that model slow.

In this scenario the best curse of action is using the Sorrow's aura to react to the stunned (the more restrictive one), Candy's aura to react to fast (who can only react to stunned and fast) and then Pandora's aura (who may trigger her aura versus any condition) to react to slow. Doing 3 extra damage to that model in Candy's activation. You cannot trigger the 3 auras at he same time, but if you inflict states at different times you can stagger the auras.

Another way to use multiple missery auras is giving effects to several models at a time. For example if you stun 3 models with Pandora's "The box opens", one different misery aura may be triggered for each stunned enemy model; or if you inflict burning with Carver's "Breath of fire" to 2 enemies, you may trigger Pandora's and Iggy's auras to damage both of them.

Other example in that same scenario, another enemy start his activation near of those 3 woes, he uses "Risky Maneuver" and gains Focused, Pandora's aura activates and deals 1 damage, then he charges and attack expending that focused to Pandora (here that model can use the focused because as the active player he has the priority; but if any other focused or any other condition remains, Pandora could end it with her oportunistic), let's say Pandora successfuly defends and trigger "Dark Thoughts", then Candy or the Sorrow may trigger the aura, doing damage again to that model.

Hope it helps!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Lamellarlucy said:

Can the "Misery" rule present on the "Woe" keyword's models affect a single enemy model more than once off of a single stunned condition? The ability appears to be an Aura, and on page 30 of the rulebook it states that a multiple auras with the same name do not stack but i have seen many people saying that the simultaneous damage from multiple "Misery" triggers is a core component of the "Woe" keyword. How does this work?

Example.

An enemy model is within ''Misery'' range of Pandora, Candy, and a Sorrow. Pandora afflicts the model with the Stunned condition. Can all three models trigger their "Misery" ability, dealing 3 damage, or does the rule on Pg. 30 come into effect here, dealing only one damage, and requiring the removal and re-application of the stunned condition to take advantage of the two remaining "Misery" abilities?

It's important to point out that mechanically, this is a big departure from last edition.  in 2E, each Misery Aura *did* trigger and a core of Pandora and her Woes was stacking those auras up to melt whatever is unlucky enough to be nearby.   Hopefully either you're looking at old data, or at least the people are not up to speed on how auras work now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, Ogid said:

An important note here: Missery is an aura that "may" be activated, so the player isn't forced to activate every aura in range (In fact doing so is a mistake); also you can trigger it with different conditions, not only with stunned.

I don't think this is correct.

The aura is a constant, static effect. The 'may' clause applies to whether or not you cause damage to the model/move it two inches.

Thus the opponent chooses which misery aura effect to apply, [Removed something incorrect, see edit at the bottom for a more accurate conclusion].

For reference, here's Misery's text: Once per Activation. After an enemy model within 6 gains Stunned or a Condition listed in this model's Opportunist Ability, this model may either move it up to 2" or have it suffer 1 damage.

EDIT: Actually, rereading it precisely, the 'may' only applies to the 'either.' So you HAVE to apply one effect (move it or it takes damage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I don't think this is correct.

The aura is a constant, static effect. The 'may' clause applies to whether or not you cause damage to the model/move it two inches.

Thus the opponent chooses which misery aura effect to apply, [Removed something incorrect, see edit at the bottom for a more accurate conclusion].

For reference, here's Misery's text: Once per Activation. After an enemy model within 6 gains Stunned or a Condition listed in this model's Opportunist Ability, this model may either move it up to 2" or have it suffer 1 damage.

EDIT: Actually, rereading it precisely, the 'may' only applies to the 'either.' So you HAVE to apply one effect (move it or it takes damage).

No, you don't If it worked this way then you would never have a choice of what misery to use. They would all be used as soon as a qualifing condition is applied within range and have their once per activation use used up regardless of if there was any effect applied. If there was no "may" then it would work the way you're saying it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

No, you don't If it worked this way then you would never have a choice of what misery to use. They would all be used as soon as a qualifing condition is applied within range and have their once per activation use used up regardless of if there was any effect applied. If there was no "may" then it would work the way you're saying it does.

The aura rules specify that only one of the auras applies (opponent's choice), that's why they don't all get used up at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Maniacal_cackle said:

The aura rules specify that only one of the auras applies (opponent's choice), that's why they don't all get used up at the same time.

No. The aura is used regardless of if any effect is actually applied. The opponent just gets to choose which aura they get affected by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Quote

The Aura icon (a) means the Action or Ability affects an area around the object that has the Aura. An Aura extends out in all directions from an object a number of inches equal to the listed distance in inches, as measured from the edge of the object's base. For example, a3 means that everything within 3" and LoS of the object is affected by the Aura.

Auras are lasting effects that move with the object as it moves. All models inside the Aura’s area, including what is generating the Aura, are affected by the Aura as long as they stay inside the area and remain in LoS of the generating object. The “affected model” in these instances is whatever model experiences some change in game state.

Auras are not cumulative. If a model would be affected by multiple Auras of the same name (i.e., if the Aura would change its game state in some way), then it is only affected by one such Aura of its controller’s choice.

An aura isn't some effect you turn on/off. It's a constant, lasting effect ("auras are lasting effects that move with the object as it moves"). Misery is an aura that generates an effect that involves a choice (may' apply the move or damage), but the aura itself seems like a constant to me.

At least, that's how I read it.

Of course, there's some room for ambiguity on the may. My original (pre-edit)interpretation involved you not wanting to apply Misery at all, applying 0 damage and no movement (for instance, if a Take Prisoner target is in hazardous terrain). So then you have three options (don't do anything with the aura effect, apply 1 damage, or movement). I'd favour the may being part of the either (aka, you only have two options), but in either case, the aura being a constant 'field' around a model seems to be consistent with the rules to me, with the choice being part of the effect generated by the aura.

In which case the opponent chooses which one applies. In summary:

  • Several models have their misery qualify against Model A.
  • Model A's owner decides which misery aura applies.
  • The owner of the misery aura applies which effect to apply (of the 2 or 3 options).

Seems consistent with the rules to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

An aura isn't some effect you turn on/off. It's a constant, lasting effect ("auras are lasting effects that move with the object as it moves"). Misery is an aura that generates an effect that involves a choice (may' apply the move or damage), but the aura itself seems like a constant to me.

At least, that's how I read it.

Of course, there's some room for ambiguity on the may. My original (pre-edit)interpretation involved you not wanting to apply Misery at all, applying 0 damage and no movement (for instance, if a Take Prisoner target is in hazardous terrain). So then you have three options (don't do anything with the aura effect, apply 1 damage, or movement). I'd favour the may being part of the either (aka, you only have two options), but in either case, the aura being a constant 'field' around a model seems to be consistent with the rules to me, with the choice being part of the effect generated by the aura.

In which case the opponent chooses which one applies. In summary:

  • Several models have their misery qualify against Model A.
  • Model A's owner decides which misery aura applies.
  • The owner of the misery aura applies which effect to apply (of the 2 or 3 options).

Seems consistent with the rules to me.

I think the intent of Misery being this way is avoiding the scenario where an enemy is under 6 or 7 Misery auras, gain stunned and just... vaporize? Making it an aura they make sure that only 1 aura may be triggered with each effect inflicted.

The rules say one enemy may only be affected by 1 aura with the same name and if more than one try to affect it, then that player get to choose which one. The key here is the Misery auras don't affect that model for just being in range, the model with the aura needs to choose (may) to trigger his aura, then that aura will try to affect that enemy. Non-triggered auras won't try to change any game state of that model, hence that enemy cannot choose to being affected by that aura. Also the Missery auras have the "Once per activation" limitation, every aura that triggers is gone for that activation; making them pretty useless in bubble play if all must trigger at the same time.

Check for example "Life Leech", in that aura there is no "may", the player cannot choose not to trigger it; even if that aura is going to kill the model you want to keep alive to score something at the end of the game, there is no choice but deal the damage and heal. Or check for example "Enraged by Insolence" (Nekima), that aura has a "may", when the condition met you can choose to do the effect or not (in this case if the only enemy model in range is tony ironsides and your hand sucks, then you may choose not to charge him and getting reckt by his defensive trigger). In missery the may apply to either, so you may do one of these things or you may choose not to do any of them. If the "may" from missery were be removed, then any woe would be forced to activate the aura as soon as it can trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/13/2019 at 8:19 PM, Ogid said:

The rules say one enemy may only be affected by 1 aura with the same name and if more than one try to affect it,

I think a strict interpretation of the rules says the opposite of this, but running through some scenarios the RAW create some funkiness.. So I'll concede the interpretation that the Misery player gets to pick (because they can decide whether or not to apply the aura) probably works best in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think a strict interpretation of the rules says the opposite of this, but running through some scenarios the RAW create some funkiness.. So I'll concede the interpretation that the Misery player gets to pick (because they can decide whether or not to apply the aura) probably works best in this case.

In the rulebook (pg30) we are only introduced to the auras which are always active (like the ones in the examples); these work as you say.

But we have another breed of auras where the effect is not always active, the aura is only used to measure a range and to make clear that the ability doesn't stack; but these aren't strictly auras (in the traditional meaning of lingering effect around one model), but reactive abilities with a trigger and an effect. For example Life Leech, if a model enters in the range of that aura in his activation, he will get no damage nor trigger the healing because the trigger was gone.

The same happens with this one, Missery is always "active" checking for the trigger, but it will only try to make a change in a game state when it triggers. The other model get to choose which aura is affecting him only when that aura try to change a game state in them (this is stated clearly in the rules). So in this case as the player have control over the trigger ("may"), he can (and should) trigger just the best aura for him in each scenario.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...