Asami 3E advice

CaladanCid

I haven't gotten any 3E games in yet, about to start up with a regular group though so I am wondering what people have been using to have the most fun with her?

Right now I am wondering if Jorogumo are an auto include regardless of strat or scheme.  I guess they probably are?  

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Akaname, obsidian Oni, jorogumo.. are mandatory

Minako Rei, with the 2 katashiro are too god not to have as options. 

MC cabe is good too, giving out lasers

Sun quiang is king since any oni can just place to heal and he's like a super Asami protector :)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, triedman99 said:

In addition to what everyone else has said, Ama No Zako is great, and Samurai, Dawn Serpent, and Shadow Emissary are all very good versatile models.

I would always hire a Jorogumo with her. McCabe handing out his sword artifact to Jorogumo is just an absurd combo.

I think part of my hesitance with McCabe in the list is just the sticker shock of hiring a 16 ss model.  That is a holdover from 2E though.

I would usually never hire such an expensive model, either, but I tried it last week, and it went so well that my opponent forfeit at the end of turn 2.

My crew was:

Asami w/ 6 stones

Amanjaku

McCabe

Luna

Jorogumo w/ Masked Agent

Ama No Zako

Tengu

Wedge deployment and Turf War.

I played very aggressively, and got my hired Jorogumo and a summoned Jorogumo right into my opponent's face, and McCabe tossed a saber to the first Jorogumo, which then got fast and ignored HtW/HtK/armor/shielded, and gave itself + flips with flicker, so of course it got 1 or 2 kills and removed flicker. Then it quick actioned to toss the saber to the next Jorogumo, which also killed more than 1 model. McCabe and the tengu claimed turf war markers, and Asami supported the Jorogumo, and Ama No Zako also got into the fray. At the end of turn 2 more than half his crew had died, and there was no way he would've survived a turn 3. 

I think hiring a second master is usually not optimal, but McCabe brings so much versatility and support to Asami's crew, and she can summon models to make up for the low model count that a second master causes. Maybe my next game with this crew won't go as well, but McCabe will always be on my mind with Asami because of how brutally efficient he made those Jorogumo.

Having said that, the Oni keyword and Versatile Ten Thunders models provide enough variety and fun that a second master certainly isn't necessary. And maybe my game would have been just as one sided without McCabe and with a Samurai and Dawn Serpent instead? It's hard to say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, triedman99 said:

I would usually never hire such an expensive model, either, but I tried it last week, and it went so well that my opponent forfeit at the end of turn 2.

My crew was:

Asami w/ 6 stones

Amanjaku

McCabe

Luna

Jorogumo w/ Masked Agent

Ama No Zako

Tengu

I played very aggressively, and got my hired Jorogumo and a summoned Jorogumo right into my opponent's face, and McCabe tossed a saber to the first Jorogumo, which then got fast and ignored HtW/HtK/armor/shielded, and gave itself + flips with flicker, so of course it got 1 or 2 kills and removed flicker. Then it quick actioned to toss the saber to the next Jorogumo, which also killed more than 1 model. McCabe and the tengu claimed turf war markers, and Asami supported the Jorogumo, and Ama No Zako also got into the fray. At the end of turn 2 more than half his crew had died, and there was no way he would've survived a turn 3. 

I think hiring a second master is usually not optimal, but McCabe brings so much versatility and support to Asami's crew, and she can summon models to make up for the low model count that a second master causes. Maybe my next game with this crew won't go as well, but McCabe will always be on my mind with Asami because of how brutally efficient he made those Jorogumo.

Having said that, the Oni keyword and Versatile Ten Thunders models provide enough variety and fun that a second master certainly isn't necessary. And maybe my game would have been just as one sided without McCabe and with a Samurai and Dawn Serpent instead? It's hard to say.

That list seems brutal for Turf War.

My standard Asami list: 

Asami
Amanjaku
Shadow Emissary  10ss (pitching your hand to fish for 11s, 13s and red jokers is amazing with Asami)
Low River Monk 5ss (standard take in every list for every master)
Tengu 5ss
Tengu 5ss
Ohaguro 8ss
Akaname 4ss

Then a free 7/8ss slot for another beater, eg: Samurai, Obsidian Oni, or Gwyneth Maddox for the card draw. Also can upgrade Ohaguro to Ama No Zako and add another utility model, such as a Terracotta Warrior. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, triedman99 said:

My crew was:

Asami w/ 6 stones

Amanjaku

McCabe

Luna

Jorogumo w/ Masked Agent

Ama No Zako

Tengu

I have done something similar, but instead of Jorogumo, I used 2 Katashiro both with Masked Agent. 

When McCabe "Rides with Me" the Katashiro, it places and attacks due to "Made to Kill".  The other Katashiro charges, which Blade Rushes, then places the other Katashiro using "With Me", which attacks due to "Made to Kill", then the original Katashiro attacks from the charge, then :ToS-Fast:places and attacks again due to its "Made to Kill".  Finally, if there's anything left, the first Katashiro can :ToS-Fast:place and attack again, or just attack, or if there's nothing left, charge something else and "With Me" The other Katashiro ... there are many options.  Then, on top of all of that, you could add the Timeworn Blade to the mix.

Also, 2 more things to take with Asami: Terracotta Warriors can copy Asami's "A Mother's Love" to remove Flicker, and Tengu can force another friendly model to take an Interact action which is key in games like Turf War and Cursed Idols, or if the Scheme pool is very marker heavy.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was going to mention Terracotta Warriors can help you lower flicker. My favorite thing though is that they can do Ama No Zako's Miasma. Granted you need a decent crow and they aren't immune to its effects. But it's a large area and if more than one model has it up, you can cover a lot of the board.

Also just turning into another jorogumo after you've had one die isn't too shabby either.

I feel like Oni might be Terracotta Warrior's best keyword.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattbird said:

My standard Asami list: 

Asami
Amanjaku
Shadow Emissary  10ss (pitching your hand to fish for 11s, 13s and red jokers is amazing with Asami)
Low River Monk 5ss (standard take in every list for every master)
Tengu 5ss
Tengu 5ss
Ohaguro 8ss
Akaname 4ss

Then a free 7/8ss slot for another beater, eg: Samurai, Obsidian Oni, or Gwyneth Maddox for the card draw. Also can upgrade Ohaguro to Ama No Zako and add another utility model, such as a Terracotta Warrior. 

I loved the Low River Monk last edition.  I feel like they still benefit quite a bit from McCabe, and given how many comments on McCabe I have seen here that seems like a big positive.

2 hours ago, Jude said:

Yeah, I was going to mention Terracotta Warriors can help you lower flicker. My favorite thing though is that they can do Ama No Zako's Miasma. Granted you need a decent crow and they aren't immune to its effects. But it's a large area and if more than one model has it up, you can cover a lot of the board.

Also just turning into another jorogumo after you've had one die isn't too shabby either.

I feel like Oni might be Terracotta Warrior's best keyword.

Granted, given a 13:maskWould get you a summoned one from Asami with Flicker or replaced one with TW without flicker.... go for the one without flicker.

I don't play Last Blossom, but isn't there something an action to create Smoke Markers for Misaki they can copy?  If there is, that might be more useful, but yes, Oni is really good for them!  It can also get you Amanjuko back on a 6+:mask!

4 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

I don't play Last Blossom, but isn't there something an action to create Smoke Markers for Misaki they can copy?

It can copy Ototo's shadow marker placement. Decent use for a 7. More situational, but it can copy Misaki's "charge obey" for a 10. Bit expensive, but considering most of the keyword (including Misaki herself) gets charge buffs...

I tried it for 1-2 games and it was ok. Better than I expected. But testing was cut short due to various reasons. It's something I plan on returning to at some point.

14 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

When McCabe "Rides with Me" the Katashiro, it places and attacks due to "Made to Kill".  The other Katashiro charges, which Blade Rushes, then places the other Katashiro using "With Me", which attacks due to "Made to Kill", then the original Katashiro attacks from the charge, then :ToS-Fast:places and attacks again due to its "Made to Kill".  Finally, if there's anything left, the first Katashiro can :ToS-Fast:place and attack again, or just attack, or if there's nothing left, charge something else and "With Me" The other Katashiro ... there are many options.  Then, on top of all of that, you could add the Timeworn Blade to the mix.

Wow, I'll have to remember to try this!

Wait wait wait..... How many attacks does a katashiro get when it charges from within 6" of Asami? 2? I suppose its still only 3 attacks per Activation (without triggers) but it frees up her place for greater mobility instead of sneaking in extra attacks... Maybe ama no zako makes the Katashiro do the charge for even more attacks per turn from a 5 ss min 1dmg model made from paper... Fun?

Violation of Reality

After a friendly Oni within aura.png3 declares the Charge Action, instead of Pushing, it may place itself a number of inches from its current position up to its Mv and then take its melee.png Action as normal.

Made To Kill
Once per Activation. After this model is placed, it may take a melee.png Action after resolving the current Action.

!!!?

In 2nd, the purpose of her was charging without line of sight.... now everyone can.

In 2nd, she caused everyone around her to get Flay trigger (cheat damage on a negative flip)... now very few models have that trigger and no Oni does.

I'm finding her hard to place in something Ama No Zako is not better at.... and I love Ohaguro Bettari and her folk lore so it makes me sad!

• Agree 1

Asking about another unloved Oni....

Who would actually hire a Kamatachi? When?

Unless I'm missing something obvious you have to get this model to attack something or be attacked in order to get a flicker to then make dust storms and be useful.

Until then it seems like a niche

upgrade that can be killed easily (wonder weasel card cycling/draw)

Does anyone love this rodent?

Why would you need Flicker?  It's a 7+ to create a marker, and the suit to move the marker is built into the melee attack.

But no, there is no real use.  If you're playing Oni and the opponent is playing a summoner, maybe 4 more points to card cycle.... but not really.

It used to be a totem, but wasn't as good as Amanjaku; it was a minion Oni, but unsummonable specifically because it was a totem; only one is allowed in play and you can't get more than 1 Dust Devil marker in play at a time; it needs to use the melee attack on an enemy to move the marker, but it has a 0" melee range and 4 wounds.

I think they kept it in 3rd for completeness, but unfortunately it's useless.

• Agree 1

I've not yet found any role left for bettari to play. Since unnerving presence can be bought off an upgrade. Her lack of bonus and defensive tech are just more reason to not even consider her.

Kamaïtachi was in a bit of a weird spot until the end of the beta, since it could move the dust devil markers by attacking his mates. But they changed it to enemy only and no further modifications happen... Still insignificant, with a catastrophic survivability and the "one use only" to create and move DD marker.