2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - September

Caedrus

Hi there!

My pledge for September will be a quite ambitious one, as I'm moving from Casse's crew to Lady J for the UK Nationals. Here are the models:

* Bernadette Casse: 2 SS (didn't like the idea of having him without his totem)

* Lady J: 15 SS

* Scales of justice: 2 SS

* The judge: 10

* The jury; 8

* The lone marshall: 9

* Death Marshall x 2: 10 SS (5SS each)

for a total of 56 SS... I'll leave the death marshalls for the end as they are the cheapest models besides the totem.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Caedrus said:

What colour is the base for the back of the cloak? It's wonderful.

I begun airbrushing with Vallejo Air Model "Light Blue" but I was not very happy with the result that looked as a dirty white. At that point I airbrushed it with Vallejo Air Model "Hellblau 71.101 Blue" trying not to cover the first paint completely. Then, I used a diluite GSW "Andalusian Earth" wash ink to get a greenish shade. I consider GSW Wash Inks a must because they are the true washes that stay where you put them and you can diluite thaem whit water without loosing their tech properties.

I'm the first to consider the use of Vallejo Air Model paints a bit strange with fantasy models because them are born for WWII military models (tanks and planes). Indeed I bought most "pastello" paints of this range looking to use them with Streets of Venice scenics. My decision to experiment them with Rasputina was a quite impulsive choice.

• Thanks 1

@Franchute  I dig it. Your highlight placement on the hair is particularly nice.  I like that the dress has some mud and staining on it. Perhaps you might use this effect more liberally around the hem of the dress, where it’s likely to be dragging in dirt and muck and what have you. That’s just a nitpick though. :)

Looking forward to the family album! 

@Stranglelove  Very clean detail on your Parker so far. He’s got a lot of scraps and bullets and whatnot, and you’ve made them all quite distinct from each other. Good placement of highlight and shadow on the coat as well. My only suggestions are to ratchet up the contrast on the white shirt and smooth out some of the transitions on the coat. Nice work. 👍🏼

• Thanks 2

Hello,

If I'm not wrong this year we missed the traditional Wyrd painting contenst: Femme Fatale, Testosterone and the Beast.
So, I suggest a frindly competition inside our monthly pledge for the 3 months to come, dedicated to that topics.
If you agree, I suggest @Caedrus to take charge of the order the 3 topics will we playble per month. Then, to make things easy and do not charge @Caedrus with extra jobs I think members could vote their preferred mini by adding their "like" to JUST ONE of the uploaded pictures for the contest. Of course members will be free to pledge any other mini or scenic too.

I wouldn’t participate in that. One of the main reasons I like this group is that it’s explicitly cooperative. Our painters are at a variety of skill levels. Many of us are focused on just finishing models on our Shelves of Shame and/or models we want to put on the tabletop. I don’t think a competition with specific subject matter fits the spirit of the group. 

I am just one opinionated dude though. :) Others might have a different take on it. 

• Agree 3

I've no problem with a contest, but it sounds annoying to organise and kind of highjacks the challenge at the 11th (well, I suppose 10th) hour.

If you wanted something similar you could start 3 threads with fun plays on the official contest names for people to drop submission in to duke it out for the most lavish praise.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Viruk said:

finally got to test GW's contrast paints.....

We need not a lot of explanations to understand there's a lot of painting efforts and mixed techniques behind your great last models. ;)

BTW, I bought and I'm on the way to experiment with GSW Intensity Inks that look to be an equivalent tool, but the fact GSW presented it before GW:

Did you have any chance to try them?

@misterfinn, @Stranglelove and others: I was talking about a frindly competition, nothing but painting one model for the next three months on a specific subject. I undestant that all of us are going after own plans and  most of time we have to manage them fighting with few time for painting.  Mine was an open idea, we can discuss about best way to realize it, so we can remove the "voting" if that bothers you, most of you. It's true that "painters are at a variety of skill levels" anyway we are commenting painted models, techniques and achivements and no one seems to be disturbed because of it.