2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - September

Caedrus

7 hours ago, Purple Mist said:
7 hours ago, Viruk said:

finally got to test GW's contrast paints.....

We need not a lot of explanations to understand there's a lot of painting efforts and mixed techniques behind your great last models. ;)

BTW, I bought and I'm on the way to experiment with GSW Intensity Inks that look to be an equivalent tool, but the fact GSW presented it before GW:

Did you have any chance to try them?

Not yet, they look quite interesting although the final effect appears more glossy and colors look more vivid which I don't like that much,. 

On 9/17/2019 at 6:25 AM, Viruk said:

Not yet, they look quite interesting although the final effect appears more glossy and colors look more vivid which I don't like that much,. 

I'm on the way to build a new Nighthaut Army (Age of Sigmar) from the beginning, so I need to paint a lot of models into a reasonable time. Beeing most of models ghosts, I plan to aibrush them quickly with light colours and wash them someway. Then I could use a black or anyway a dark GSW Intensity Ink to paint the cloak. It's just a starting idea I could change, may be using a black traditional wash rather than a black ink.

• Like 1

@Purple Mist I've got a feeling now m3e is out we'll see a return of the painting competitions in 2020 (and if it doesn't then maybe we can run our own competitions).

I'm not a big fan of the idea for this group though as detracts a bit from the idea of the challenge. For me personally it's about setting myself personal goals for the month and clearing my huge backlog of unpainted minis :) and there's so many I'd like to get done before the end of the year.

That being said I wouldn't mind if people wanted to do a competition or even just as a theme for the month. it's just not something I'd be interested in doing at this time. 

• Like 1

@Purple Mist agree with wintergloom.  As much fun as it is to do themed months, I have a lot i'm trying to get through, so I'm not sure I'll always have something to contribute.  I think back to the summer one to 'paint in flag colors' and I thought about it, but it just didn't fit into anything i was doing.  But hey, if other people have stuff they'd like to do / enjoy the challenge / inspiration... go for it.

On a purely selfish note, if it were more competitioney... well i know i won't get anywhere near the top and it'd be a bit of a disappointing month for me.  I'd rather people be excited for everyone's paintjobs, than to just wait for the top few painters to give their submissions on the monthly thread.

• Agree 2

@Wintergloom, @muraki and others,

I may agree on many of your words. I think it a was a mistake to use the term competition, although I wrote "frindly competition".  As regard the voting it was something in the formula of the official Wyrd competition. I'm not seeking for a true contest because I know it's something I cannot win :D. I may only add I took part, past year, to this triple challenge and I got a lot of fun trying to get out of my brush my best getting at the same time a model to pledge in this our month challenge.

• Like 1

Ruins.jpg

Adding to my pledge, the set of ruin from Warcry Starter Box. The ruins are quite flexible in so far you can combine componets in different way after you assembled and panited them. There are six major scenics and other spare elements. Wooden stairs and pontoon are all mobile.

At moment I'm till going after the cleaning phase having to remove a mess of mould lines. I plan an airbrush step to paint stone ruins followed by a brush step to add details, paint wooden elements and other details.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rathnard said:

My progress thus far - the last of my 1- commander Guild Company for TOS, and Zipp. :)

Awesome colors!

How much of the black and white do you paint? Or do you paint it at all and just give 'em a white zenithal over black undercoat?

10 hours ago, Butch said:

Awesome colors!

How much of the black and white do you paint? Or do you paint it at all and just give 'em a white zenithal over black undercoat?

Thanks!

I do a grey & white zenithal over the black undercoat. Then it's a light drybrush of white over the whole model to pick out details, followed by a heavy coat of nuln oil. The red is painted more traditionally of course! 

It's a very simple scheme, but it's something i wanted to try out and more importantly, i needed something easy so i could get a full company out relatively easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Wintergloom I actually really like the hybrid base on the left that contains both green and brown. The brown base on the right looks a little drab and I think that a completely green base would be too garish for a whole crew. The more red you have on on model, the more green you can get away with because the contrast looks so good.

• Like 1

@Wintergloom I am a huge fan of your Undergraduate models, the colour scheme is very striking. I might try something similar for my Kaeris when she arrives, it's a style I've wanted to try for some time.

As for the bases, the turquoise really pops. I'd also add a turquoise spill on the other one. Or maybe turquoise oxydation on the metal parts/in between the tiles. 

• Thanks 1