2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - September

Caedrus

September is here, and with it, Autumn / Fall for the northerners, and Spring for we Southerners!

This is the thread for the September 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. September's birthstone is the sapphire. Time to paint something with a gorgeous blue tinge!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here, and I'll continue updating soon!

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

We're now using the Malifaux 3rd Edition values!

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for September!

Caedrus.

@Caedrus 40ss total for August

Sidir (9) + Sun Quiang (7) + pair of Komainu (12) + pair of Mecharachnids (12).

As for September, I've got an unfinished Order Initiate I didn't get done last month. Few half finished poorly built Saboteurs I want to get done for my arcs. That's a start. Few non-Wyrd commissions I really need to get out of the queue. And I'm kind of feeling like painting something that isn't a rushjob for my arcs. No idea yet if that'll be Wyrd gaming piece or just something for the display. Busy busy:)

@Wintergloom starting out strong👍

• Like 2

Because last month clearly wasn't ambitious enough...

URwO0yN.jpg

So basically it's Gorysche, Ophelia's crew box, Zipp, Margaret Belle (proxied), 6x Field Intel Corps (proxied), Sammy Lacroix, 4x Broken, 2x Rooster Riders... and a Townhouse. 

Ophelia's crew is already painted, but I've never been happy with the end result. So I'm going to try and fix that up somehow. The second "Rooster Rider" is actually an old War Rooster from one of Wyrds Easter sales. I don't intend to repaint it, but I do want to rebase the model to 40mm so I can use her as a Rider. :)

• Like 9

I've already painted ans just need to base 25ss of models (Pale Rider and 3 Metal Gamin), but the hope is to knock out my Gencon order which would be another 109 sometimes. Until they get in this friday I'll probably try to take out my Union Miners(15ss) and then my Ten Thunders Brothers(18ss) in that order. So if I get everything I want done I should be at 167ss at the end of the month, but we'll see if I can manage to swing that or not.

• Like 2

@misterfinn Thanks! Its basecoat with Dryad Bark, wash with Agrax Earthshade, then stipple with Panzer Aces Light Rust (amazing rust paint) Then a really light drybrush with Leadbelcher

It's a super simple and quick process but looks really nice :) Some times I drybrush a bit of turquoise too to add that Verdigris look

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wintergloom said:

Got the student of Viscera almost finished too. Just need to rework the eye glow and then I think he's done

Very original palette and a great painting job. I have this model somewhere till boxed and your mini moves me to go searching for it. Congrats and looking forward for your last brush touches.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I see your huge insane pledges and I raise you... One Raphael 😜 

IMG_20190905_144841.jpg

I've worked on him for a fair but since I took the pic at the beginning of the month and I am simultaneously touching up the rest of my finished Lacroix as he's the last from the crew box. I hope to take a nice family shot 😃

On the terrain front, I also pledge a Playmobil gazebo I bought at a flea market for 50 cents 😎

• Like 6