Anti-Reckoning Plague

Jesy Blue

So on my quest to understand Hamelin in 3rd (still not grasping him), I had an idea.

I heard about someone running a crew of Demise (Immortal) models and denied the opponent the points for Reckoning. If I play a crew of mostly Insignificant models, I can deny the points for Reckoning in a different way also.  So with 12 Rats & plenty of ways to summon more, I'm well on my way.  It will really depend on the opposing crew and the schemes available whether to take this list, though; gun lines will not be good.

Thoughts?

I have pondered the same thing with Hamelin but during Theoryfaux I always came back to the same problems: 

1. What schemes could a crew of mostly Insignificant models feasibly achieve?
  2. Assuming there was a pool this crew could achieve, could they achieve it better than another crew I could have hired instead?
  3. How do I handle gunlines?

Unfortunately, I was never able to come up with anything solid for Problem 1, let alone the other 2. I would be greatly interested if anyone else could contribute to this exercise though.

What would be your Blight Vectors for a theory list?

Something like this?

Soul Stone Cache: 8
[Masters]
 - Hamelin, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Benny Wolcomb
 - Pride
[Enforcers]
 - Hans
 - The Midnight Stalker
 - Obedient Wretch
[Minions]
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat

A bunch of insignificant models (6).

Benny to provide more rats.

Some quite hard to kill models:

• Pride: Manipulative and anti-cheat aura. He is also able to use SS.
  • Hans: He will be out of range most of the time, perfect to achieve Vendetta if it's on the pool and offers some counter to gunlines.
  • Midnight Stalker: Main scheme runner that is also quite difficult to kill.
  • Obedient Wretch: He's also nice to have for what it brings. Thanks to stealth is difficult to kill at distance and you can always sacrifice him if he's in trouble.

I also considered the Emissary. H's quite resilient, provides healing for your guys, decent upgrades and more scheme markers for Benny.

I'm quite new to Hamelin (actually I don't have him, I'm waiting for the crazy cat lady to become available again :P), but I've played a couple of times against him.

See, that's 6 models that can be killed for full points; that defeats the point.

I was thinking something like this:

Soul Stone Cache: 5
[Masters]
 - Hamelin, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Nix
 - Benny Wolcomb
[Enforcers]
 - Obedient Wretch
[Minions]
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat

Just a dozen pushed focused fast rats getting in the way turn after turn.

1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:

See, that's 6 models that can be killed for full points; that defeats the point.

I was thinking something like this:

Soul Stone Cache: 5
[Masters]
 - Hamelin, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Nix
 - Benny Wolcomb
[Enforcers]
 - Obedient Wretch
[Minions]
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat

Just a dozen pushed focused fast rats getting in the way turn after turn.

Your list only has 2 points less for Reckoning than mine (8 vs 10). Also, your options to generate more rats are more limited, less survivality options due to less cache for not to mention the problems that already were pointed out by @TheJoyInGaming.

Yes..... but no sane person will see it coming.

The main point is to occupy the opponent for three turns.  Reckoning is usually, but not always, highly elite crews of melee killing machines; per model, they do not have enough individual attacks to take all the rats out feet enough, so I just keep dinging them with blight.

I figured it would have to standard or wedge deployment (flank and corner are just too far apart), and then they either declare Neverborn or Reserrectionists (2 factions notably light on shooting).  If all that is available to me, and like Harness The Laylines & Claim Jump are in the pool, I'll take this.

It's very specialized, but I think it will be fun.

Something like this looks better for me:

Soul Stone Cache: 7
[Masters]
 - Hamelin, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Benny Wolcomb
[Enforcers]
 - Hodgepodge Emissary
 - Hans
 - Obedient Wretch
[Minions]
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Stolen
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat
 - Malifaux Rat

Same VP as yours, but more survivality. Hans can put at least 1 Slow for turn, while putting some damage (even if you really don't care). Emissary will help your Rats to get there in the first 1-2 turns, and yes, it doesn't have 12 rats, but I like to keep more SS. Also in the first turn you'll be generating another 4 rats.

Emissary also have a nice slow in his ranged attack, will help you keep alive the other pieces (or even run away!).

I also removed the Midnight Stalker, since it will be the most exposed model. The idea remains simple, send horde of rats every turn to your enemy.

I was thinking of adding the Emissary... his move bonus, floral bonet, and dropping markers next to your insignificant rats looked really useful, and putting regeneration on Hamelin just seemed obnoxious.

But I love Nix too much (there's so few Bleeding Disease actions now), and Benny is too useful with that many rats.