Sign in to follow this  
Kharnage

Nellie's Exclusive Interview and Breaking News

Question

Exclusive Interview: When an enemy model within a2 takes the Interact Action, it is treated as a friendly model and the Action is controlled by this model.

Breaking News: After an enemy model within a8 resolves the Interact Action, this model may draw a card and gain Focused +1.

Does "it is treated as a friendly model" only apply "when they take the interact action", meaning that "after resolving" it is no longer treated as a friendly model, and Breaking News triggers? Or does Nellie's kit actually work against herself? 

17 answers to this question

Seems ambiguous to me, so the best thing to do there is talk it out with your playgroup and settle on a house-interpretation.

My personal interpretation is that they DO clash. If a model is more than 2" away but less than 8, you get to use breaking news. If the model is within the 2" aura, you get to snag a free marker instead.

So it is not so much working against each other as providing different abilities at different ranges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Seems ambiguous to me, so the best thing to do there is talk it out with your playgroup and settle on a house-interpretation.

My personal interpretation is that they DO clash. If a model is more than 2" away but less than 8, you get to use breaking news. If the model is within the 2" aura, you get to snag a free marker instead.

So it is not so much working against each other as providing different abilities at different ranges.

That's how I would play it as well.

There's an even better question to ask concerning two journalists:

Everyone's favorite Arcanist, Joss, is 2" away from Nellie Cochrane.  6" away from Rasputina is a Newsie.  A Guild Lawyer uses Obey on Joss to perform Interact.  (Because why else would Joss take an Interact action that Nellie is going to control?)

How does the Newsie feel about Joss?

---

Allison Dade sets up the same scenario with her Exclusive Interview aura, Chasing a Story Aura, and her Headline: Secrets Exposed! trigger that says "Enemy only.  Target must take the Interact Action, even if engaged."

Now that I look at Nellie Cochrane's card again, Nellie only has the same trigger.

---

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

If the model is within the 2" aura, you get to snag a free marker instead.

I think one important thing to note about that "Target must take the Interact Action, even if engaged" trigger is that Interact is specified in a manner that you can take advantage of it:

Do one of the following: 1) Drop a Scheme Marker into base contact with this model and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker, 2) remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model, or 3) resolve a specific rule that refers to an Interact Action.

As far as I can tell, that's a "This or that" choice, with no "may".

So a model can wind up in the situation where its only valid choice from that list is Option 2, "Remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model".

---

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is supposed to be at the moment, but "How do all of the other reporters feel about that model?" may be the more significant interaction to consider.

• Thanks 1

Wait.... you can't ever Deliver A Message on Nellie?  She just unilaterally bypasses a whole Scheme?!

• Like 1

@Jesy Blue, you can still score it I think, you just can't place the marker near her. So if you have a movement effect to move her after, or a movement effect for the marker, etc. you can still do it.

But the crew is built around shenanigans with scheme markers, so it should be no surprise that it's hard to do with the master!

EDIT: Oh, and you can just place the scheme marker from 2.1 inches away, and then the scheme marker will be your marker but in range (the measurement of the ability is to the model, I think).

..... but what about the first point of the Scheme?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

..... but what about the first point of the Scheme?

Its basically impossible if Nellie is the only master in the crew.

So she bypasses half of 1 scheme.

In terms of the original question, I would also agree that if its an Exclusive interview, then you don't count as enemy for the purposes of breaking news.

3 hours ago, solkan said:

There's an even better question to ask concerning two journalists:

Everyone's favorite Arcanist, Joss, is 2" away from Nellie Cochrane.  6" away from Rasputina is a Newsie.  A Guild Lawyer uses Obey on Joss to perform Interact.  (Because why else would Joss take an Interact action that Nellie is going to control?)

How does the Newsie feel about Joss?

I can't see the ability interactions here. Joss is treated as Friendly by the journalist crew because Exclusive interview says that. I can't see anything on Rasputinas card that makes any difference. Newsie is treating Joss as Friendly for this action.

3 hours ago, solkan said:

---

Allison Dade sets up the same scenario with her Exclusive Interview aura, Chasing a Story Aura, and her Headline: Secrets Exposed! trigger that says "Enemy only.  Target must take the Interact Action, even if engaged."

Now that I look at Nellie Cochrane's card again, Nellie only has the same trigger.

---

I think one important thing to note about that "Target must take the Interact Action, even if engaged" trigger is that Interact is specified in a manner that you can take advantage of it:

As far as I can tell, that's a "This or that" choice, with no "may".

So a model can wind up in the situation where its only valid choice from that list is Option 2, "Remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model".

---

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is supposed to be at the moment, but "How do all of the other reporters feel about that model?" may be the more significant interaction to consider.

Again I'm not sure of the question. There is no way that Alison or Nellie are going to be declaring a trigger on their attack action while Joss is taking the interact action.

Joss is an enemy during the attack. He would only count as friendly during the interact action.

Its also worth noting that the Headlines Secrets exposed trigger does not give control of Joss over to the Journalists. So Joss will choose which interact action, and if he chooses to drop a scheme marker he will choose where.

So you have 2 options to aim for, Have joss within 2" of an exclusive inetrrview model and control the action, or have him  more than 2" away but within the breaking news/chasing a story etc auras and not control the action but do gain the bonuses of an enemy taking an interact action.

Good question. This is a hard one, I can see ways to argue it both ways...

I'd personally go with they works together because Exclusive Interview says "when" and Breaking news says "after" (the enemy model did take an interact action, he was treated as an allied model while resolving, but after it, when Breaking news triggers he is again an enemy model). It's odd these 2 works agains each other.

But as I said, I won't put my hand in the fire for this one.

8 minutes ago, Thimblesage said:

So how does Plant Explosives work in all this?

In what way? It scores based on the number in each half, it doesn't matter who placed them. If you force an interact, then they could choose to drop an explosive, if you control the action you can choose where to drop an explosive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

In what way? It scores based on the number in each half, it doesn't matter who placed them.

What I was wondering is who's marker is dropped if both models had markers available to drop?

2 hours ago, Adran said:

In what way? It scores based on the number in each half, it doesn't matter who placed them. If you force an interact, then they could choose to drop an explosive, if you control the action you can choose where to drop an explosive. 

EDIT: To clarify, it's not just choosing where to drop the explosive, but also whether they drop it at all.

I don't think they can choose to drop an explosive - the interact action is controlled by Nellie, so the relevant choices (such as what to do with the interact action) are made by Nellie. So Nellie can force the opponent to drop an explosive, or if on her side of the table, doesn't give the opponent the option of dropping it at all (instead dropping a scheme if that is a legal move).

56 minutes ago, Thimblesage said:

What I was wondering is who's marker is dropped if both models had markers available to drop?

In plant explosives, the markers are allocated on a per model basis. The model can only drop an explosive if it is carrying one, and that is the explosive that will be dropped if it is forced to drop one.

For reference, the rules for the interact action:

Do one of the following:

1. Drop a Scheme Marker into base contact with this model and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker,
  2. remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model, or
  3. resolve a specific rule that refers to an Interact Action.

So when the model declares interacting near you, if you control it, you get to choose which of the three they are doing? Although I would imagine that if 1 and 2 are not legal, you'd have to drop the explosive? But I can't think of a situation where option 2 is not legal (in that 'removing all the scheme markers' can be satisfied by removing zero markers).

30 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

For reference, the rules for the interact action:

So when the model declares interacting near you, if you control it, you get to choose which of the three they are doing? Although I would imagine that if 1 and 2 are not legal, you'd have to drop the explosive? But I can't think of a situation where option 2 is not legal (in that 'removing all the scheme markers' can be satisfied by removing zero markers).

Option 2 is always legal, so it's a moot point.

9 hours ago, Thimblesage said:

The model taking the interact action is the one that uses an explosive token and drops a strategy marker. The crew controlling the action count that marker as Friendly to them, which will affect where they can place other markers, but for the purposes of scoring you score based on the number of markes in each half, it doesn't matter if they are friendly or not.

I just realised this is a Exclusive interview thread, not just a general Nellie thread. So whilst under Exclusive interview Nellie can choose that the model will spend an explosive token to drop a strategy marker. The marker will be considered friendly to Nellies crew, for the purpose of checking where you ca drop more markers, but for scoring all that matters is what side of the table it is on.

• Like 1