New Bayou - possible Brewmaster

iCreed

Hey all, not sure if this is the right place or not to ask.

Im looking to get into Malifaux, I looked at 2e but really looking to buy in with 3e coming.

Im drawn to the Brewmaster & Whiskey Golem, but have 0 knowledge about how the game plays and work and was wondering for any tips and advice?

Thanks

Hi, Welcome!

In a nutsell: This is a skirmish game, you gain points by completing schemes and strategies, the player with more points at the end of 5 turns win the game.

Important points: Both players take turns to activate models (it's not the typical "I move all my dudes, then I go for a beer while you move yours"), you make your list after knowing the schemes and strategies and the enemy leader (so having a few extra model to being able to adapt your list is necessary).

Being a newbie myself, what I did: 

• Read the rulebook, at least twice (you can download it from wyrd's webpage)
  • Download all the M3e cards (again form wyrd's webpage), some are missing but the majority are there. In the wyrd's webpage you can check the creed members for each keyword (click in each master)
  • If you are very interested in a creed with cards missing, this page can help: https://m3e-crew-builder.herokuapp.com/
  • Put all stat cards (but deadhand and special edition cards) in one folder. Use the each master's keyword as a filter to get all model with said keyword (you can copy them into a new folder or just browse them); check all keywords and see which ones fit you better (both aestesically and mechanically). Take this step easy, depending on your free time it can take days or weeks.
  • Choose your master and spend a few bucks getting the core box + 1 or 2 boxes to get some options. Get the one you like the most, but be sure you also like the faction because you will probably get at least 1 or 2 extra masters from that faction to have some flexibility.

If there is some people around your area playing Malifaux, it won't be a bad idea to ask them to make an introductory game.

Here you have my own newbie thread:

Hope it helps!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iCreed said:

thanks for the reply i'll check it out.

Would be good to hear from some experience Bayou players aswell about Masters and specifically the brewmaster aswell as what works well with him / how viable he is.

Thanks 

Brewmaster is in a good spot. Nearly every model self heals which in corrupted idols strategy is quite useful. The whiskey golem is deceptively fast due to nimble. Fingers is an amazing scheme runner and a scheme denier. Moonshinobi are pretty good due to self heal and going against models with build in negative flips and the accuracy modifiers. 

The bonus action self heal is really cool, which everyone except the Whiskey constructs get, oddly enough (in spite, the Golem gets a heal only other living models too) and Akaname who heals from poison! 

The weird part is despite all the healing, it's not over all the hardest hitting crew.  Sure the Brewmaster and the Golem both hit like a truck, but everyone else is light on damage or just gives out poison and no direct damage.  So you may kill models, but it won't be immediately.

43 minutes ago, iCreed said:

Thanks for the input guys, im starting to look into the rules and list building. Going to wait until a store has the 3e Brewmaster box and I'll pick it up and go from there!

You're welcome!

Look around just in case some store is selling discounted M2e boxes, it won't work for all of them for different reasons tho (some models sold separately now share boxes in third edition, you could like more the new sculpts or the starters models change) so check well before buying anything from M2e.

But specifically for brewmaster, the M2e starter and M3e starters are the same (but cards); if you found one at 50%, second hand or something like that, it would be a good deal.

2 minutes ago, Ogid said:

You're welcome!

Look around just in case some store is selling discounted M2e boxes, it won't work for all of them for different reasons tho (some models sold separately now share boxes in third edition, you could like more the new sculpts or the starters models change) so check well before buying anything from M2e.

But specifically for brewmaster, the M2e starter and M3e starters are the same (but cards); if you found one at 50%, second hand or something like that, it would be a good deal.

Thats interesting, wasnt sure if the models were changing! thanks

19 hours ago, Ogid said:

Np! But check everyting before buying.

What I wrote apply to the starter, the golem is changing his scuplt for example (and now is buyable without having to get RES stuff).

The whisky golem was in its own box before. The gamin were in a box with arcanists if that's what you mean, and we know that box is changing.

I agree with the intention of your post, I'm just not sure of the facts.