Sparks+Pigapult+Stuff Pig OP?

LeperColony

Is Sparks, Pigapult and Stuffed Piglet as strong as it seems?  

Sparks stuffs the Stuffed Piglet with Bombs in Yer Belly.

Pigapult chucks the stuffed piglet 18" ignoring LoS and terrain.  So now you get a shockwave with :new-Pulse:2, MV 15, Damage 2.  

Piglet only has a move of 5, so is likely to die.  Triggering Piglet's Demise (:new-Pulse:2, Mv 11, 2 Damage and Injured +2) and Bombs in Yer Belly Demise (:new-Pulse:2, Damage +3 No test so it just happens).

But even better, if it didn't die and you got the :crowtrigger on Pigapult, you get to do the Bacon Bomb (:new-Pulse:2, Mv 11, 3 Damage and Injured +1) which will trigger Bombs in Yer Belly Demise...

One of our regulars was explaining this combo to me.  It seems borderline broken.

That being said there are ways to counter this move. Luring the pigapult away from its ammo (or same with Sparks) obeying it to attack its own pigs can cause quite the chain reaction. 

Also 16 points for the combo of the two - and then another 8 for 4 more pigs (to get one a turn)  equals a lot of stones spent on that mechanic - it is super super powerful but it gives your opponent one thing to focus on and shut down

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, OracleToronto said:

That being said there are ways to counter this move. Luring the pigapult away from its ammo (or same with Sparks) obeying it to attack its own pigs can cause quite the chain reaction. 

Sure, though the fact that the Pigapult doesn't need LoS means you can stash it out of the way.  If there's a building you can go in, it can even just sit inside and somehow lob the pigs out.  Seems strange, but by the rules nothing prevents that.

2 minutes ago, OracleToronto said:

It’s regular gun attack says it ignores LoS but the Full Load action doesn’t say it does it has a gun icon and says “place anywhere in range” so not sure if they does or not 

Rocks is Pigs needs to say ignore LoS because it's a target ability, but they want to simulate the catapult nature so they allow it to hit targets that can't be seen (and amusingly, you can still do the building trick).

As written, the only significance of the :ranged I can see is that if the Pigapult were engaged, it couldn't do it.  "Anywhere within range" necessarily seems to include locations out of LoS.

It is a strong combo indeed, but shockwaves are not something you can realy trust and build your plans on. An average model needs a 10 to pass a 15 MV duel - it is a 35,4% (17/48) chance to pass it from topdeck. For a 13 MV duel from piglet's demise chances are even better - 52% (25/48). 

Pigapult can deal a lot of damage, but only if your opponent is so generous to position his models close to each other within pigapult's reach.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Sure, though the fact that the Pigapult doesn't need LoS means you can stash it out of the way.  If there's a building you can go in, it can even just sit inside and somehow lob the pigs out.  Seems strange, but by the rules nothing prevents that.

I know you've commented in the rules thread so you know this, but for those that haven't  you can't sit inside a building and throw piglets out of it. (there is the really niche case that as long as the piglets are outside the building the pigapult can "lob" them, but if they are inside the building they can't be thrown outside. (page 38 advanced building rules))

Buildings big enough to fit a pigapult inside should be a rare thing in the game. I'm sure some groups will use them a lot, because they have one, where others will never see one, but if your play group is finding it too powerful, just don't use buildings higher than size 3 and then they can't hide the pigapult.

This is a 1 trick list that if the opponent suspects you will lose. I've played it in beta and anything fast can kill the pigapult pretty easily in which case your list falls apart.

If going to run it I would personally do it under Wong for glowy stuffed pigs. 

First turn you can easily get glowy 2 on the stuffed pigs to increase the mv test to 13 instead of 11 leaving must models over a 50% chance to fall to top deck to pass

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Buildings big enough to fit a pigapult inside should be a rare thing in the game. I'm sure some groups will use them a lot, because they have one, where others will never see one, but if your play group is finding it too powerful, just don't use buildings higher than size 3 and then they can't hide the pigapult.

The building wasn't the point, it was just something that occurred to me after making the post.  It's one of those things where, because it's a game with a limited set of rules to model all of human (and gremlin and neverborn...) behavior, there are going to be instances of the absurd being possible.  Like rocks or pigs ignoring the ceilings and roofs of buildings.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, wizuriel said:

This is a 1 trick list that if the opponent suspects you will lose. I've played it in beta and anything fast can kill the pigapult pretty easily in which case your list falls apart.

If going to run it I would personally do it under Wong for glowy stuffed pigs. 

First turn you can easily get glowy 2 on the stuffed pigs to increase the mv test to 13 instead of 11 leaving must models over a 50% chance to fall to top deck to pass

Agreed It does get a huge target on it's head and is slow to move ... if you can get past it's armour it is also not too hard to bring down. I actually take it with Som'er as he can easily summon more ammunition for it in game and banjoistas can help it with a bit of extra movement so you don't have to use your AP to walk.