Mechancal Dove versus Hard to Kill

Vangerdahast

Question

Juste another question of timing. Quite sure of the answer but as my opponent thought differently this afternoon, I prefer checking.

The case:

Taelor has 2 Health left and has Hard to Kill.

A mechanical Dove attacks her and deals a moderate: 2 damage.

I use the built-in Trigger Overheat ("Models within Pulse 2 suffer 2 damage. Then kill this model.") to make 2 Damage and kill the Dove.

A- In my understanding: the Attack is fully resolved and damages (Moderate 2 Damage) are dealt: Taelor is alive with 1 Health thanks to Hard to Kill. Then I use the trigger (no timing so After Succeeding) and deals 2 Damage that kills her.

B- Taelor suffer 2 + 2 Damage= 4 Damage and is left with 1 Health thanks to Hard to Kill. My opponent's point of view.

We played it as B, but quite sure that A is the good answer.

3 answers to this question

And, to elaborate on CD1248's answer...

The Overheat trigger doesn't specify a timing, so it's an After Succeeding trigger.  So the sequence of events will be:

• Resolve the effect of the action. the "Target suffers 1/2/3 damage", where you flipped and got 2, and then went through the Damage Timing steps for that damage.  This is step 2.e in the master timing chart, or Step 5 if you're looking at Resolving Actions.
  • In Step 2.f (Step 6 of Resolving Actions), you resolve the Overheat trigger.  So now you go through the Damage Timing steps again for potentially more models than just Taelor.  

That's how much timing difference there is between the two damage effects.  Significantly, if the dove flipped a black joker for the damage flip, that doesn't cancel out the pulse damage.  Likewise, excess damage reduction (due to soul stones, Armor, and Shielded) don't carry over to the pulse; the pulse gets resolved (and reduced) independently.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you.

Some opponents don't bother with Doves and then underevaluate them. They are very good targets to unbury Colette but are also capable of putting harm.

Late in turns, if one ennemy model has 3 or less Health remaining, you can charge him, hit and use the trigger for some good damage. With a Stat of 4, hitting is not guaranteed but at the end of turn, the opponent should have not high card left in hand or he will be reluctant to use it versus such a pitiful model (and even if he cheats high, this is a card that he won't use for something else). And you draw a card due to the Demise (Expendable) after killing the Dove. All good for Colette!