Fatemaster Friday - “Lo! Death has reared himself a throne In a strange city lying alone..”

Kimberly

Fabulous Friday Breachers!

The past week saw some wonderful answers for the mail call question, and I loved seeing everyone’s answers, especially all the ones about Fatemaster Characters made by the Fatemasters! This week I’m spotlighting @EnternalVoid for their answer. Let’s see what they had to say about their favorite Fatemaster Character.

One of my favorite from a campaign I ran in TTB was Barry from like the third session of a campaign.  The campaign was centered around a underground operation that the fated came across and got wrapped in.  A former researcher from the Guild had been part of a project to try and find a means of combating the neverborn in a different manner.

You can find the rest of their comment here.

This week, I’m beginning a multi-part series on my favorite character in all of the ‘Fauxverse, and that’s Malifaux itself! I consider the lands through the breach to be just as much of a character as the personalities within and without Malifaux City’s walls. It’s an alien, formidable, and exciting world with a variety of faces to show intrepid folk who seek its secrets and wonder. 

Once through the Breach aboard the Iron Ram, a person’s first look at Malifaux is represented by Malifaux Station. If you’re starting your campaign with a group of Fated making their way into Malifaux for the first time, Malifaux Station is a wonderful place to give an idea of how the Guild wants Malifaux to be run. Guild officials are everywhere, convicts are being marched to be transported out to the mines outside of Malifaux City, and those who linger may see one of their fellow new arrivals being hauled off over some immediate infraction of Guild law, or taken away by Witch Hunters. The well maintained opulence sticks out from the ominous look of the Malifaux sky, and as Fatemasters this can be a place to open a lot of adventures with.

Travel into Malifaux City proper means passing between the beautiful Governor-General's mansion, and the Hanging Tree. Again, this can be a great time to illustrate the two very different sides of Malifaux- man trying to tame something unfathomably strange and terrifying. Perhaps Jack Daw is on the tallest branch of the Hanging Tree, or maybe he’s mysteriously disappeared! Maybe the most recent batch of executions contains someone one of your Fated knew or knew of. Once past the mansion and tree, people are welcomed with intimidating walls with Guild guards to mark their arrival to Malifaux City. 

The Downtown area of Malifaux is the area that is everything the Guild wants visitors to see. Small, wealthy, and heavily patrolled, Downtown hosts the Guild Enclave, Duer’s Library, and the Star Theater. Each of the locations will have a very different feel for your group’s Fated. The Guild Enclave is a monument to the Guild’s power, walled and impressive in its fortress-like structure. Duer’s Library, which is the Malifaux City Museum and Archives. The Museum is open to all, but the lower levels can be a great place for Fated with a scholarly knack to research more about the city and surrounding areas. As they are Guild-restricted, perhaps a well-placed bribe can grant a group the access needed. The Star Theater is an ideal place for meetings under the cover of a raucous atmosphere, or to relax after a hard but profitable adventure. 

The Industrial Zone is filled with warehouses, factories, and residences for the workers who make their living in this area. Trains traveling from the areas outside of the city’s walls carry wood, ore, and soulstones into the station within this zone. The buildings are covered in soot from the constantly working factories, and even the people who spend any amount of time there will soon become sooty. This area is also the home of the Malifaux Daily Record and Malifaux Tattler. The Industrial Zone is a great place for your Fated to go in order to try and get some information from the only legal sources of news in Malifaux. If Guild propaganda isn’t your group’s interest, maybe they’ll attempt a heist targeting an incoming shipment of soulstones!

Join me as the journey through the places of Malifaux continues in the coming weeks. Mail Call question - “What location are you most looking forward to exploring with your players?”

• Like 4

I most look forward to anything involving the Quarantine Zone. The entire place is ripe with potential for horror and mystery, be it the ghosts haunting the manors of Strangerskeep, which themselves contain dark secrets. Beggarstree with its unnatural rate of floral growth and the Neverborn setting up shop there. Or perhaps a race against time as the Fated unwittingly find themselves racing against time to escape Red Eye, or even a simple yet effective Resurrectionist monstrosity wearing the wedding ring of the woman they were hired to find, eventually leading down a dark potentially Lovecraftian slope of madness and ever growing mystery.

Yup, Quarantine Zone as well, I started my campaign before picking up it's source book so any scenes set there have been very "Stealthy in Slumtown" affairs. I'm looking forward to seeing what my players think about it's cannon contents.

Outside of Malifaux I'm interested in exploring Ridley before (Blank) uses it for (Blank) (Northern Aggression penny dreadful) and the neighboring Ten Peaks residents.

But let's be honest, everywhere in Malifaux is deep with both lore and interesting features and people that I'm excited to explore just about anywhere.

There's alot of great places we don't know much about the knot woods the mountains where the ten thunders sneak through, but I think the most intriguing to me is the red cage in the bayou there is so much potential there. Then there is beyond the bayou and the waters to what lays beyond the ocean.

I've been running games for a few years, so there's not a lot I HAVEN'T taken my players to. I think the only places I've still got untapped ideas for are Ringside/The Pits and Ampersand. For the former I can't let my combat-oriented players blow off some steam while tge schemers fix matches and place bets, the latter will be fun to get the party thinking of constructs as something besides mindless servants to be used and discarded. I have an incredibly depressing plot for Ampersand, too.