How Much Terrain Do You Use?

noob

7 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Thats why you look at the table, then pick your crew.

You see something liked this and you pick a flying crew, or a leaping crew, or an unimpeded crew.

Picking your crew is not just scheme, strategy and opponent based; it's also table based.

You gotta lot of buildings on the table, you know I'm taking Hucksters.  If there are choke points I can fit a 50mm base through, I'm rolling up on you with the Lucky Emissary.  If there's very poor firing and movment lanes, I'm indirect firing on you with the Freikorps.

It's all connected!

Or, if you are guild, just die.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet (this Sunday!), but after a month of effort, I made up these three 1' x 1' platters of terrain to use.

Mesas for LOS blockers, an impassable thicket, some destructible cover/fencing, some severe rocky terrain, and a tree to represent a woods.

67520088_10162191589780215_2150619485227

An impassible mesa, some fog/dust banks, concealing brush, and some hazardous cacti patches.

67981123_10162226759980215_7755663089109

And lastly, a little farmhouse, some destructible cover bits to go around it, some severe/cover rock fields, a hazardous patch of quicksand, a hazardous concealing nether-rift and a patch of severe concealing plowed field.

69162727_10162269820920215_7134274831406

(and those are focus / distracted tokens I've made)

I'm hoping its a good mix of LOS interference, movement interference, cover, and such.

• Like 5

On 8/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Although the rivers seem wayyyy to wide if they're severe terrain. I have started using 1" wide rivers, and they still feel absolutely crippling (since if you are in base contact with severe you're slowed down, crossing a 1" river takes away 1" + 60mm of movement for the smallest model. It takes 100mm +1" for 50mm models, or about 5 inches...)

You are doubling the base size wasted to Severe. A 30mm model trying to cross a 25mm wide river, would waste 55mm total. The 30mm of the base needing to clear the back edge of the base is still 30mm of forward movement, and shouldn't be counted twice.

One way around making the big rivers more palatable though (cause I agree, those rivers would be problematic for crews without flight/leap/incorp/unimpeded), is only count movement in the river as Severe if you're not touching a bank (or either of the two shallow fords, obviously). That the areas close to the banks (and the fords) are shallow, and don't impede movement.

This would actually benefit larger based models, as there'd be less distance needed to cover to get from bank to bank, which, IMO makes sense in most cases (where base size and SZ are comparatively larger), as they should have less trouble fording a stream.

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify: the river is about 2 -3" wide and we play the fords as nonsevere. So there are 4 crossings over the river without movementreduction.

One of our players once said that when we play without the river the board feels too small. so I guess we got used to playing with lots of severe terrain. But that was 2e so we will see if the change to pushes not ignoring severe will change our opinions in the future...