Lady J box digital sculpts

Stonewall78

• Stonewall78 changed the title to Lady J box digital sculpts

I really don't like the brims of the hats on the two death marshals. They're almost comically big, though they'd be easy enough to trim down.

And while I know she's new, and I know she doesn't have the same issue, I don't know if I could put a Judge on the table that didn't have a bandana over their face. That was always the iconic distinction for me.

That Lady J isn't complete cheesecake is a plus, as is her not wearing completely ridiculous footwear. But I miss the euro Greatsword. Not a fan of her using a Ten Thunders one. Any reason she switched it up?

That seems like a lot of negativity, but if I didn't already have a Lady J crew painted (and surplus DM's), I'd definitely consider getting this. But I do, so I won't. Gotta get Basse, Youko, and Euripides. And then get them painted. And then their Keyword stuff. And then get the next 5 or so Explorer Guild Masters AND their Keyword stuff. It's EXHAUSTING.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morgan Vening said:

That Lady J isn't complete cheesecake is a plus, as is her not wearing completely ridiculous footwear. But I miss the euro Greatsword. Not a fan of her using a Ten Thunders one. Any reason she switched it up?

Lady J has always had a hugea$$ katana... Even her very first sculpt all the way back in M1E. She's never had anything remotely like a huge double bladed greatsword like a medieval knight.

• Like 1

I also like these new sculpts. Lady J is in a more agressive position, it fits her better than her previous one. I guess that the sword do not fit the scabrad, but that's not realluy a problem. A friend modified my M2E LJ, putting her on a death marshell coffin, I will keep her. But this one is nice.

The Judge is wonderful.

For the totem, the scale of justice is clearly unbalanced, it fitts really well with the idea of the guild. I do not like the piece on its mouth.

I really wonder with the death marshall have these knee caps. Is it to protect them while they are skating on their coffins ? :) Without this, they would be perfect.

This is a good box in my opinion, but Lady Justice alredy has many good models. It would maybe have been better to get alternates for models that do not have one.

• Agree 1

Over all I like the new sculpts though they did not quite get the pose right for Lady J, now if she was meant to be an untrained thug wielding a sword then yes they nailed it on the head.  Alas Lady J is supposed to be highly skilled at sword play and this is just not represented in the current pose, its biggest issue is the hand grip, you cannot make an effective sword cut like that even if you were to step through with it.  You also have her leaning back slightly to wield the sword as if it’s a little too heavy, but that’s just the martial artist in me being picky.

Even with those gripes I will be still buying the crew box (it is only a game after all).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Impact UK said:

Over all I like the new sculpts though they did not quite get the pose right for Lady J, now if she was meant to be an untrained thug wielding a sword then yes they nailed it on the head.  Alas Lady J is supposed to be highly skilled at sword play and this is just not represented in the current pose, its biggest issue is the hand grip, you cannot make an effective sword cut like that even if you were to step through with it.  You also have her leaning back slightly to wield the sword as if it’s a little too heavy, but that’s just the martial artist in me being picky.

And now we find the truth of why Lady Justice no longer has Ml7.

I'm not sure I like the new judge, she does look a little to Ten thunder. I think you might need to angle the Justice pose forward to make it look like it works, it does seem a little under control in that render. Will certainly wait to see it in the flesh, but I think I prefer it over the M2E box.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Impact UK said:

Even with those gripes I will be still buying the crew box (it is only a game after all).

Literally the reason I never bought m3e perdita was because of Francisco's ludicrous cleaver. Swords are hard to get right at scale, but we can get closer than this...

11 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Literally the reason I never bought m3e perdita was because of Francisco's ludicrous cleaver. Swords are hard to get right at scale, but we can get closer than this...

I'm lucky enough to have an alt Francisco because I really don't like the cleaver sculpt.  Now I just need to get hold of a Santana because I don't like Santiago either... (he's too big!)

Just now, theamazingmrg said:

I'm lucky enough to have an alt Francisco because I really don't like the cleaver sculpt.  Now I just need to get hopld of a Santana because I don't like Santiago either... (he's too big!)

I've got a nice mix of alts and 1e sculpts for my family crew. Currently using 1e Tuco as my monster hunter because he's an Ortega damnit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Da Git said:

Lady J has always had a hugea$$ katana... Even her very first sculpt all the way back in M1E. She's never had anything remotely like a huge double bladed greatsword like a medieval knight.

Gotta disagree. While the wrapping on the scabbard on the 1st Ed model might give a Japenese-esque vibe, and the crossguard has always been minimal (though more Norse or Roman), it's never looked like a katana to me until this latest version. The blade has been straight, or mostly, all the way through. I think one of the alts had a slight curve to it. Even looking at it now, I still don't see any of them being katanalike, except the newest one.

I mean, I always thought the 1st Ed version was a two handed version of this, with an extended pattern on the scabbard, and a wrapped grip.
https://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbc-gladiusdecimus.html

I for one really like the new Judge sculpt. Lady J on the other hand gives me a bit of the impression that she's at a birthday party getting frustrated as she's trying to hit a Pinata :}

I wonder if we're going to see the version shown... i think 2 gencons ago? Together with ToS models?

• Haha 1

That is the best Lady J sculpt so far. It is not perfect, but far better than the previous models. And finally she is wearing a long coat, like the other Marshals.

The Judge is a good sculpt, but doesn't really look like a Judge to me. But I guess they wanted it to be different from the current one to show that it is a new person.

The Scales are OK, but I like the M2E version much more.

The Death marshals are on par with the current ones. Maybe slightly more boring poses, but still really good.

• Like 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

On 8/16/2019 at 6:23 PM, Clockwork_Fish said:

Posting this here, as it seems relevant.  Here's what she looks like the flesh, so to speak.

Did you use GW contrast paints? Looks good. I don't think the pose is all the wrong. Only looks like she is leaning a little too far back.

2 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

Did you use GW contrast paints? Looks good. I don't think the pose is all the wrong. Only looks like she is leaning a little too far back.

I used contrast paints, then highlighted.  The base is a piece of cork, and skulls from that GW box o' skulls.  She's not quite done yet.  I don't mind the pose.  I don't see this as a combat pose, per se.  To me, it looks more like she's standing in the fray letting out a battle cry.  I never liked her old plastic sculpt.  She was just so tiny, and her sword was even smaller.  She just had no presence, especially compared to her big, flashy Death Marshals.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, Adran said:

And now we find the truth of why Lady Justice no longer has Ml7.

Actually there is a line in the new back story about this:

...Since she lost the Judge, her lover, Lady Justice has become an unhinged animal with a sword...

...but since Justice started the Beta with Ml 7, so this probably an add-on setting to explain the reduction on Ml.