Transmortis hype

Frankly speaking, I haven't been very keen on Transmortis after my first reading of the cards, as I really didn't know how to evaluate them then. Now, having many 3ed games under my belt, I have re-read the cards and they make me extremely hyped about the perspective of fielding professor von Schtook and his eager students in the near future. So much free Focused. So much card draw. So much free movement and additional actions. There is a list I am going to try in the nearest future

Albus von Schtook

5 ss cache

Assistant

Gravedigger

Anna

Valedictorian w/GST

Undergraduate A

Undergraduate B

[Undergraduate C or Necropunk or second GST on someone and more cache]

Here's the plan:

Gravedigger gives everyone Focused, walks twice or once and takes Concentrate action.

Albus gives an uprgrade to the Undegrad A, makes him and Valedictorian Fast, gives Focused to everyone and pushes them. With Academic Broadcast being 6'':ToS-Pulse: you can deploy Undergrad A deep in your deployment, making him less vulnerable (or even invulnerable) to preemptive strike.

Undergrad B tries to push Albus or Valedictorian or both or none, depending on the circumstances.

Assistant does whatever.

Anna does whatever.

Valedictorian activates and at this point you can soften a big target for Undergrad A to finish it off (with stat 7, double Focus, Fast and Flurry she can definitely do that), or kill something else which is up to 4'' from the activated model you want to kill later this turn.

Undergrad A jumps 2'' from Valedictorian and now can make 3 focused attacks or 2 focused and 2 unfocused attacks to kill the target and summon another student.

What can go wrong?

14 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

What can go wrong?

cards.... :P

A 6:ToS-Crow:, two 6s, and 7 for Albus. Hopefully can flip it, but might need to cheat/stone and two discards (Flurry and By Your Side) leaves your hand pretty low. Focus will help, but can bite you in the butt too. Not saying it won't work, but bad things happen and all.

Still, not a bad plan. I haven't worried too much about forcing the summon off really. There is a lot of set-up for it. I hope for one and usually get 1-2 off, but don't stress about it. A later game summon off a kill can really demoralize the opponent too :) Might leave off on the third Undergrad in case that's the best you can summon in though. I'd go with the Necropunk or an upgrade for Anna so Albus can more easily hand out Fast to her. Even an upgrade on Albus can be helpful - Whisper for the card preview and depending on opponent, Killer Instinct for Ruthless. KI on the Gravedigger can make him very fast. 

• Like 1

You're better off giving Academic Zeal to Val. With Stat 7, Focus, Flury, a Ram or two, and Fast, and a push (or 2) from Undergrads, and standing within 3" of the Research Assistant for a 6" Fly, she should be able to melt something on Turn 1. You're looking for an 8ss Enforcer, but in case you can't manage it, an Undergrad or Necropunk is still a good pick. The Undergrads have a Stat 5, so aren't as likely to hit, and it means you're forgoing getting Val down field. Val should be downfield because she's going to take a ton of hits (particularly if you summon the Student that can heal her), and she's going to dish out a ton of damage. 

Gravedigger will be useful on Turn 1 and then not be useful much, if at all, and will probably be the first thing to get targeted, making it a waste of 6SS. Mortimer or Asura are much stronger picks, and the Carrion Emissary can make Val insanely fast (7" movement with flight is stupid good). You'll probably want more than 5SS cache, as all it takes to grind Transmortis to a halt is somebody attacking Von Schtook. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

cards.... :P

A 6:ToS-Crow:, two 6s, and 7 for Albus. Hopefully can flip it, but might need to cheat/stone and two discards (Flurry and By Your Side) leaves your hand pretty low. Focus will help, but can bite you in the butt too. Not saying it won't work, but bad things happen and all.

Whisper on Val and remembering to use Studied Opponent means you're usually flush with cards. 

6 minutes ago, nomoredroids said:

Gravedigger will be useful on Turn 1 and then not be useful much, if at all, and will probably be the first thing to get targeted, making it a waste of 6SS.

I've always gotten use out of them myself. If you can get the roll over trigger they can do a surprising amount of damage. ymmv.

6 minutes ago, nomoredroids said:

Whisper on Val and remembering to use Studied Opponent means you're usually flush with cards. 

How is Whisper helping Val with card draw? She's already got focus in your setup so will be drawing 2 cards usually.

And remember that Stud. Opp is at best 1 card per activation and only if you are in an opposed duel with an enemy model. It doesn't take long  for your opponent to start cheating in low cards if they are already losing to avoid you getting to draw a card. It's great when it happens, but I've found it's harder to get in practice. I feel pretty good if I get 2 maybe 3 cards in a turn. There have been many turns with no cards, or just cycling cards (you can cheat crap cards too if you are losing and hope for something better - doesn't increase your hand though). It's a good ability, don't get me wrong, but depending on it has led me to tears when I can't seem to get matching suits. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I've always gotten use out of them myself. If you can get the roll over trigger they can do a surprising amount of damage. ymmv.

How is Whisper helping Val with card draw? She's already got focus in your setup so will be drawing 2 cards usually.

And remember that Stud. Opp is at best 1 card per activation and only if you are in an opposed duel with an enemy model. It doesn't take long  for your opponent to start cheating in low cards if they are already losing to avoid you getting to draw a card. It's great when it happens, but I've found it's harder to get in practice. I feel pretty good if I get 2 maybe 3 cards in a turn. There have been many turns with no cards, or just cycling cards (you can cheat crap cards too if you are losing and hope for something better - doesn't increase your hand though). It's a good ability, don't get me wrong, but depending on it has led me to tears when I can't seem to get matching suits. 

That's a lot of "if" on a 6SS model that could go to something like an Undergrad with more consistent damage, extra attacks, and the ability to warp around the board, and an overall better utility for the crew. The only other reason to take them is that corpse markers count as Schemes at the end of the game, and corpse markers can already be turned into Schemes by most of Transmortis (for card draw, might I add). And a Transmortis model that kills an enemy model is already dropping schemes, anyway.  

Whisper lets you draw a card if you kill an enemy model, and Val should be killing enemy models. Plus, with Whisper, while she's focused you can stack the high card with a low card to get it out of the deck for the turn. Why is focus letting her draw 2 cards? 

Once per Activation effects aren't global, they're per model. So you can draw off attack and defense. Undergrads that are summoned (which is a place) from Academic Zeal can make an attack and draw from it, even after taking a card from the activating model, for example. And an opponent tossing resources to deny me getting more sounds like a very good deal to me. Regardless, I'll often do the same with my own low cards. Don't forget that Undergrads force suits onto models that activate near them. 

It isn't unusual for me to get anywhere from 4-6 extra cards into hand on Turns 2 and 3, before considering card cycling, from this crew. 

40 minutes ago, nomoredroids said:

Whisper lets you draw a card if you kill an enemy model, and Val should be killing enemy models. Plus, with Whisper, while she's focused you can stack the high card with a low card to get it out of the deck for the turn. Why is focus letting her draw 2 cards? 

Should be... I've had her wiff more than I'd like for a stat 7 model. Luck changes though. I meant 'flip', sorry. 

Once per Activation effects aren't global, they're per model. So you can draw off attack and defense.

True, but I still haven't had much luck getting matching suits. You'd think it would happen more often, but when you really want it to it just doesn't seem to happen. 

Don't forget that Undergrads force suits onto models that activate near them. 

True - still haven't had much luck with that either though. Need to try and plan around it a bit more.

I'll agree the Grave Digger can be an odd choice, but they can be useful models in the right scheme pool that don't need a lot of support and can provide support themselves. They do have a heal for Undead and most of Transmortis is Undead. Takes some of the pressure off of Student of Steel, who is arguably better doing other things. 

Unfortunately, the one thing that made them more unique, Blasphemous Ritual, was spread around with the Upgrade and Shieldbearers, so they aren't as attractive as they once were during beta. 

42 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Should be... I've had her wiff more than I'd like for a stat 7 model. Luck changes though. I meant 'flip', sorry. 

True, but I still haven't had much luck getting matching suits. You'd think it would happen more often, but when you really want it to it just doesn't seem to happen. 

True - still haven't had much luck with that either though. Need to try and plan around it a bit more.

I'll agree the Grave Digger can be an odd choice, but they can be useful models in the right scheme pool that don't need a lot of support and can provide support themselves. They do have a heal for Undead and most of Transmortis is Undead. Takes some of the pressure off of Student of Steel, who is arguably better doing other things. 

Unfortunately, the one thing that made them more unique, Blasphemous Ritual, was spread around with the Upgrade and Shieldbearers, so they aren't as attractive as they once were during beta. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot the heal! Duh. Personally I still think that they're too squishy; being a healer in a crew full of tanks puts a target on your back. I'd still rather the Undergrad or a Necropunk, but I see their potential. 

Edit: I think the trick with Val is to sick her on the right targets. I'm not looking to attack my opponent's big, hardy stuff. I don't hit stuff with high Df or a lot of tech unless I soften it up with Injured or something else. I'm looking to hit something squishy and valuable behind their front with a Df of 5.