Jump to content
4thstringer

Will one of you go and do well at a tourney with guild?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

Iirc dogs don't drop corpses 

They aren't living, but they are beasts so they will drop corpses, but can't be made to join the death Marshalls upon death

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of the Coal Region Guild player's. I ended up going 3-2 playing  Sonnia and Lucius.  I have been playing malifaux since early 2nd. Its my feeling that Guild is a little underpowered in a more competitive setting. Not that you can't do well with them. But it feels like a uphill climb from the start. Especially in the ability to scheme. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never find myself summoning dogs because they don’t activate so are then slow for T2. Means they take far too long to get going, I prefer a double Guild patrol for bodies on the board. 

Dashel does struggle with card draw. If you don’t have a 5+ of masks then you have to rely on the enemy dropping scheme markers. I agree he’s only good into pools with lots of scheme markers. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Starrius said:

The thing I've found with dashel is he doesnt need to start with many SS as models that are killed can easily become SS fir the crew.

 

 

I start him with min 4 stones just because you really want those early drop it! triggers from Queeg or Dash so you have enemy scheme markers to summon off of. Drop It! Is probably one of the most important abilities/triggers in the game for Dash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Corwin7282 said:

I was one of the Coal Region Guild player's. I ended up going 3-2 playing  Sonnia and Lucius.  I have been playing malifaux since early 2nd. Its my feeling that Guild is a little underpowered in a more competitive setting. Not that you can't do well with them. But it feels like a uphill climb from the start. Especially in the ability to scheme. 

Do you feel like False Witnesses will help us when they're released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Do you feel like False Witnesses will help us when they're released?

I actually used a False Witnesse in a few games. They are good but they are easy to kill.  A good opponent is going to take them out. There in an odd spot for me because you want to get them in place to scheme and push your models with the investigators. If you push to early the lose there main defence tech Manipulative. I have to play more games with them as I feel they have a lot of potential. But they very well could be a trap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Corwin7282 said:

I actually used a False Witnesse in a few games. They are good but they are easy to kill.  A good opponent is going to take them out. There in an odd spot for me because you want to get them in place to scheme and push your models with the investigators. If you push to early the lose there main defence tech Manipulative. I have to play more games with them as I feel they have a lot of potential. But they very well could be a trap. 

Same result here. They are powerful but slow to get in position and extremely fragile. I want try a game with 2 of them + Phiona to protect them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend I am putting my money where my mouth is.  I have a tournament (though when I agreed to go it was still a casual event, which is what I prefer).  We will see how I do.  Anyone else on here coming to Frederick, MD this weekend?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, Corwin7282 said:

 Its my feeling that Guild is a little underpowered in a more competitive setting. Not that you can't do well with them. But it feels like a uphill climb from the start. Especially in the ability to scheme. 

I’m more a guild collector myself - I found that Neverborn is more my style - but meeting Guild on the field, doesn’t feel like easy mode. But as Guild generally have a very straightforward playstyle, its fairly simple to wrap your head around how to approach them. While I imagine a Guild player needs a little more practice to understand the more convoluted synergies, you’ll face in other crews. 

Secondly, at least in my meta, there are a lot of Guild players, meaning, that you get more practice facing the Guild. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have finally caught up on this thread and i have to say i am a little shocked of the opinion of Guild in the individual meta's running through this thread. 

I think as a faction we are in a solid place but you definitely can not rock up to a event and solo anyone master all day and expect to be able to give the best the Guild can give.

Dashal for me is a solid master but like you have highlighted can be card intensive but this is the hardship of most summoners from what i can see in games I have played. he is a bit of a strange place in the faction if i was to think about it, the Guard crew dose not really excel in one strat. I think you take him when you think you are going to need to change play style during the game that switch between killing and scheme running. Resilient I guess would be the word. 

I mean Reckoning drops you can comfortably pick  Lady J, Perdita, Hoffman or Sonnia depending on the schemes 

Turf War I am Running Sonnia or Hoffman into that.

Plant or idols I would be running Lucias or Nellie 

Its not going to be easy for Guild but we definitely can compete we are always going to struggle with fast games that go wide because we dont really have that amazing scheme runner piece in are faction but i do think there are other strengths we can exploit to make the most of. 

would be interested in hearing what masters you would all run into different games?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran a Basse/sonnia, 7 traps, pale rider, Pathfinder list into three straight today. Went 1-1-1, but I would have gone 2-1 if either of 1. I hadn't made a crucial end of game mistake in round 3 (wasted a 13 I didntbl need to that would have finished off desper so he couldn't pick up my marker) or 2. The tournament organizer hadnt messed up the final round matchups to my severe disadvantage (I played an unbeaten in the final round despite there being 4 unbeaten players).  The pairing app crashed on him though.

There was no cursed idols, but I was able to do plant explosives/power ritual/ outflank against a much faster crew just fine.  

That being said, playing my first 2 rounds into von shtook and and my last into McCabe, it sure felt like everyone else's master does a lot more things than ours do.   I know that's no valid measure of anything, but in all my games I got to see opposing models teleporting around the board, massive card draw, scheme markers dropped like candy, and just the constant feeling that I was playing from behind.

Do I think guild is not able to win?  No. They definitely can.  If I had to win a tournament right now to save my family?  Id probably take guild because familiarity will matter more than the difference.  But if I have to win a tournament to save my family and I have practice time?  I'm probably investing in a different faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you had a frustrating day @4thstringer. I still think Guild are in the Mix for taking a win when we get are models. 

I would say we landed the Guild play Test spot or very close to it. The issue you had is a issue a lot of people are having is that there are some stuff that just missed the curve.

TT are a know issue McCabe/Shenlong just Models in there faction like charm warders and there upgrades.

But there are Cracks forming in all the factions I just dont think we was ever going to catch it all. 

By You Side for instance is just ridiculous and has no limiting factors. But i will save my long list of problem models for a more appropriate post lol😂

So what I am saying is I have been were u was at that tournament with Guild and boy is it hard work but i do believe we can compete but yeah will be a tough road until a list of things get changed or they give us back some of damage we lost to balance us back out. 

I personally don't want the guild to change as we balanced out well but tweaks to be had elsewhere.  

KEEP THE FAITH MY GUILD BROTHERS AND SISTERS! Are day will come again 😂

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like mobility and self sufficiency is pretty important and practicing just one all comers master will give you an edge if you don't have unlimited time to familiarize yourself with models. My tournament days are behind me so I'll just cheer you on from the sidelines and play casual games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

Sounds like you had a frustrating day @4thstringer. I still think Guild are in the Mix for taking a win when we get are models. 

I would say we landed the Guild play Test spot or very close to it. The issue you had is a issue a lot of people are having is that there are some stuff that just missed the curve.

TT are a know issue McCabe/Shenlong just Models in there faction like charm warders and there upgrades.

But there are Cracks forming in all the factions I just dont think we was ever going to catch it all. 

By You Side for instance is just ridiculous and has no limiting factors. But i will save my long list of problem models for a more appropriate post lol😂

So what I am saying is I have been were u was at that tournament with Guild and boy is it hard work but i do believe we can compete but yeah will be a tough road until a list of things get changed or they give us back some of damage we lost to balance us back out. 

I personally don't want the guild to change as we balanced out well but tweaks to be had elsewhere.  

KEEP THE FAITH MY GUILD BROTHERS AND SISTERS! Are day will come again 😂

You know, it honestly wasn't that frustrating.  I'm someone that usually comes out of losses very poorly, when I'm playing against someone I know I should beat. In my loss to von shtook, I was playing against someone I know is better than I am, so I really wasnt salty.  His skill was still the main factor.  And in the third game my opponent was better than me too.  If he had played against basse before we might have had a different game.

Ill have to work on picking to scheme, because that's something I've definitely struggled with, and my focus on testing that basse list hasn't helped that. 

Honestly, if much rather see each errata that pulls back those top themes/Versatiles.  I suspect we will find more of those as the edition matures.  That being said, Guild feels very consistent in strength through the masters.   It just feels kinda like pre-nellie, post Austringer nerf second edition now.  

I do agree with @Ludvig about all comers masters allowing mastery.  But if you can't have that, I guess I'll just have to get more games in to get ready for my next event in December.  

That being said, @Flippin' Wyrd Matt, does this mean you're coming back to playing guild at tournaments?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

That being said, @Flippin' Wyrd Matt, does this mean you're coming back to playing guild at tournaments?

I will Definitely be back i have said when Wyrd releases all the boxes and I don't have to proxy models for the faction and I have painted them I will be back and hunting to take my Number 1 Guild spot back. 

Not looking like next year with the current release scheduled but hopefully the one after.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll come back to Guild when the feeling that I know what a model did in 2e doesn't hamper my m3e games anymore 😛

Third edition seemed like the perfect excuse to go back to Gremlins and try something new, but threads like this urge me to come back to hopefully "prove" that you can do well with the faction.

Also want to thank you guys for keeping the forum section alive with discussion :)

Unreleased models are a big problem (Dashels and Lucius Box /Keyword Models mainly) but other than that it sounds a lot like the threads back in second about the lacking competetiveness of Guild.

 

Looking forward to playing them again soon ^^

(it's a shame that I despise so many of Hofmanns current models, fingers crossed for a new box set soon :D )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tris said:

Unreleased models are a big problem

not that much since app launched! Beta models are now legit and TOs should let you play them!

Except if you dislike using proxies :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

not that much since app launched! Beta models are now legit and TOs should let you play them!

Except if you dislike using proxies :P

I certainly dislike putting effort into models that I will not be able/want to use in a few months time.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Daschel is the best choice for cursed idols.  Plenty of speed to get there fast, summoning to deal with the wound loss of the idols.

And between Dashel and the Steward (and Rider) you have some good healing options. Plus focused (or fast with Queeg)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information