Will one of you go and do well at a tourney with guild?

4thstringer

Aaaaaaaah I was just a hothead over going 1 & 4 at a store tournament with Lady Justice.  I hate seeing her lose.
I also had a delightful time in Hershey this weekend going 1 & 4 witch Dashal Barker.  I am frustrated to say the least - 2 & 8 in my last ten games, some are close,  some are massacres.  Now, before you say to your self, “ this clown just sucks, he’s a newbie, and a twit”.

I’ve been playing little army men games since most of you were in diapers, I am now involved in a super meta in the coal regions of Pennsylvania with a dozen solid Mali players ( 3 Guild ) and all three of us ages 30 to 50 are struggling big time with Guild.  I believe in Hershey the Guild was a combined  3 & 12.  That’s horrendous.  Newbie Neverborn players were beating us, because we can’t stick with them.

I told you guys Lady Justice should have been STAT 7 and I was right.......

Poor Perdita and family is in shambles.... Grandma and Nephilim are a waste to choose.

Barkers summoning mechanic is so card trigger costly it was a significant disadvantage.

just to name a few discrepancies.

10 minutes ago, Michael Curran said:

Aaaaaaaah I was just a hothead over going 1 & 4 at a store tournament with Lady Justice.  I hate seeing her lose.
I also had a delightful time in Hershey this weekend going 1 & 4 witch Dashal Barker.  I am frustrated to say the least - 2 & 8 in my last ten games, some are close,  some are massacres.  Now, before you say to your self, “ this clown just sucks, he’s a newbie, and a twit”.

I’ve been playing little army men games since most of you were in diapers, I am now involved in a super meta in the coal regions of Pennsylvania with a dozen solid Mali players ( 3 Guild ) and all three of us ages 30 to 50 are struggling big time with Guild.  I believe in Hershey the Guild was a combined  3 & 12.  That’s horrendous.  Newbie Neverborn players were beating us, because we can’t stick with them.

Poor Perdita and family is in shambles.... Grandma and Nephilim are a waste to choose.

Barkers summoning mechanic is so card trigger costly it was a significant disadvantage.

Wow, that was a rough event for guild.  I suspect we are often coming in low tournament wise.  But I would note someone soloed guild Hoff to a first place finish.  I wish my meta guys had gotten up there, they each had things come up so they couldn't go.  I still think you should come to Frederick next weekend and drag those other guildies with you.  

10 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Wow, that was a rough event for guild.  I suspect we are often coming in low tournament wise.  But I would note someone soloed guild Hoff to a first place finish.  I wish my meta guys had gotten up there, they each had things come up so they couldn't go.  I still think you should come to Frederick next weekend and drag those other guildies with you.  

10 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

28 minutes ago, Michael Curran said:

Tried dashel and have to say he is probably the most card intensive master I've played, or that's how he felt. With him I was running a DMR to try and make my models last a bit longer.

I feel perdita isnt as bad as you believe. The nephilim obey is just silly and I think that wasnt done well. As for grandma she has her uses.  I've found family to be quiet efficient but that's subject to milage.

For lady J I'm maybe missing a couple of.pices to make her keyword sing and she feels a bit clunky but again with practice I think she could be pretty good.

1 hour ago, Michael Curran said:

Are all your guild players new to malifaux?  The reason I ask is I have almost never seen people come in with malifaux as their first miniature game, and even still, the learning curve is steep.  With a few visible exceptions (Oliver, the whfb exiles) it takes serious play time to really get Malifaux and get good at it.  While guild seems like a good beginner faction, I think the curve for success with them feels particularly high right now.  If the Hershey area meta is well developed, you might be running into some really strong experienced players too.

Actually I am the newest to Malifaux, the others not at all, as a matter of fact the “Perdita” player is and has first edition figures.

It is a difficult game, no doubt, very cerebral.... a complaint I have heard from potential recruits.  Between learning rules, my crew, everyone else’s crew, schemes and strats it just hurts the cerebellum 🤪.  The game itself is in a fabulous place, shame there was a BIG screwup with product availability though.  Stores are really in limited supply.    Hopefully, the popularity spikes to an all time high with M3e.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GameSoHard said:

What does your usual crew look like?

Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Alan Reid
  Agent 46
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Dr. Grimwell
  False Witness
  Guild Lawyer
  Investigator

This is the base for the crew that I run.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

You do realise, that someone has to take 3rd and 12th place, and that a couple of guild players ending up on those, is anecdotal evidence at best.

I highly doubt, that changing LJ stat 6 to 7 would make much of a difference. There are few instances, where you wouldn't be able to cheat a winning result with a stat 6. 'faux is less about having 'super' stats and more about managing your resources.

Both Nephilim and Granny allows you to capitalise more on more efficient models – giving you access to Stat8 attacks.

Whereas summoning isn't really straightforward in M3E. Most summoners need to keep a handy cache of stones at the ready in order to secure getting their suits. You should stop thinking of 'summoning' as a primary strategy. Instead, think of it as just another ability among others – one that allows Dashel to ruin enemy scheming and give you a handy executioner in return.

15 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

Whereas summoning isn't really straightforward in M3E. Most summoners need to keep a handy cache of stones at the ready in order to secure getting their suits. You should stop thinking of 'summoning' as a primary strategy. Instead, think of it as just another ability among others – one that allows Dashel to ruin enemy scheming and give you a handy executioner in return.

Without his summoning Dashel is basically a hot pile of doo-doo. While it's true that no master should focus only on summoning, summoning masters pretty much need to use it to be viable.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

I've had good success with Hoffman, but it's a little sad that he is better in arcanists.

I agree, Perdita is playable, with enough synergy and setup you can generate lots of focus or cards through her various tricks; Nino shooting (+ out of activation) to hand Perdita/others extra focus and cards. Some impressive turn 1 alpha strikes are possible, but it's all to easy to disrupt.

Basse and Lucuis at least offer some interesting options, and there is of course Nellie if you can wrap your head around what shes actually doing!

6 minutes ago, Delvan said:

I've had good success with Hoffman, but it's a little sad that he is better in arcanists.

I agree, Perdita is playable, with enough synergy and setup you can generate lots of focus or cards through her various tricks; Nino shooting (+ out of activation) to hand Perdita/others extra focus and cards. Some impressive turn 1 alpha strikes are possible, but it's all to easy to disrupt.

Basse and Lucuis at least offer some interesting options, and there is of course Nellie if you can wrap your head around what shes actually doing!

I think now we are talking player style.

I've been throwing out on games all basically.pire keywords of guild crews and other then feeling dashel needs some way to card cycle I've been really happy with all the other masters. It gets funny when you pull out a nellie for rekoning to confuse your opponent

1 hour ago, Myyrä said:

Without his summoning Dashel is basically a hot pile of doo-doo. While it's true that no master should focus only on summoning, summoning masters pretty much need to use it to be viable.

Exactly, but there is nothing wrong with having to stuff a good card up your sleeve and spending a stone in return for getting an extra model on the table.  And no-one likes the idea of placing a scheme marker and see it turn into a rampaging executioner.

I think Dash is really good but only into specific pools. He wants to be in your face, and he wants scheme marker pools. The drop it! Trigger is essential and even though his crew gets SS like candy you really want to start with at least 5 stones of your own for those triggers. Steward is, as with a lot of guild, down right essential to heal and strip slow off summoned models with the added bonus of drawing cards from Drop it! triggers. Queeg is fairly essential too. He's one of those that doesn't look good on paper, but when you play him on the table he does work. Guild Sargents are top notch, wardens are an amazing summon. Doggos summon in to do scheming. I've had a huge amount of success with a Mounted Guard with No Prisoners attached. 

The thing I've found with dashel is he doesnt need to start with many SS as models that are killed can easily become SS fir the crew.

I even summoned 3 dogs needing a 13 of rams killed off 2 of them for as net profit of 1 model 2ss. Yes its wasteful but there are times you might want that. A 10 of rams gets you 2 dogs. 

The issue I have felt that with the DMR younhave lots of options with all the characters to discard cards and so have to be even more protective of you hand

3 hours ago, Starrius said:

The thing I've found with dashel is he doesnt need to start with many SS as models that are killed can easily become SS fir the crew.

I even summoned 3 dogs needing a 13 of rams killed off 2 of them for as net profit of 1 model 2ss. Yes its wasteful but there are times you might want that. A 10 of rams gets you 2 dogs. 

The issue I have felt that with the DMR younhave lots of options with all the characters to discard cards and so have to be even more protective of you handi

Iirc dogs don't drop corpses 

EDIT: I am incorrect about this 

Edited by 4thstringer
I was wrooong
  • Respectfully Disagree 1