Will one of you go and do well at a tourney with guild?

4thstringer

19 hours ago, Cronex13 said:

Welp, did my tournament. It didn't go well for me 😂

First game I was crushed by an arcanist player. He brought Marcus against my Lady J crew. Once Marcus gets his upgrades rolling, the game is done lol. The amount of card draw he had was obnoxious. Final score was 3-5

Game 2 I fell back to Hoffman vs Von Schtook, went much better. Two hunters preformed very very well for scheme running, giving them fast turn 1 gives them tons of movement! Final score was 5-3.

Last game I decided to stick with Hoffman. Played against Parker Burrows. Was very tired and my opponent had never played a game of M3E so the game went SLOW. Finished turn 3 with a 3-3 tie. I made a complete noob mistake and accidentally put the marker on MY side of the board :( (corrupted Idols).

The arcanist player won by a landslide, but I believe another guild player took second place! He also used Hoffman very well.

What kind of lists did you play? I don't think Lady Justice should be at a disadvantage against Marcus.

20 hours ago, Cronex13 said:

Welp, did my tournament. It didn't go well for me 😂

First game I was crushed by an arcanist player. He brought Marcus against my Lady J crew. Once Marcus gets his upgrades rolling, the game is done lol. The amount of card draw he had was obnoxious. Final score was 3-5

Game 2 I fell back to Hoffman vs Von Schtook, went much better. Two hunters preformed very very well for scheme running, giving them fast turn 1 gives them tons of movement! Final score was 5-3.

Last game I decided to stick with Hoffman. Played against Parker Burrows. Was very tired and my opponent had never played a game of M3E so the game went SLOW. Finished turn 3 with a 3-3 tie. I made a complete noob mistake and accidentally put the marker on MY side of the board :( (corrupted Idols).

The arcanist player won by a landslide, but I believe another guild player took second place! He also used Hoffman very well.

That seems harsh on yourself, a loss to the overall winner, a win, and a draw where you gave your opponent VPs and didn't reach the end of the game is the sort of outcome that could have placed you second if you actually won that last game.

• Like 1

Welp, my list for game 1

Lady Justice, Scales, Judge, Pale Rider, Guardian, Orderly and False Witness.

At the end of the day, I don't think she's at any major disadvantage either, I've just never faced Marcus before, so was unaware of the snowball his card draw can become. Learned important lessons. I've also been forced to accept that, though she's a neat model, the False Witness is just too fragile to play at this level.

My Hoffman crews were almost identical. Game 2 was Hoffman, Mechanical Attendant, Guardian, Joss, Langston, and 2 Hunters. They did very well against Von Schtook. Deliver a message is amazing against him because he doesn't have an engagement range, so you can get into base to base with him and put down a scheme marker for that second point!

Game 3 was the same list, but subbed Mellisa KORE w/ Expert Marksman instead of Joss. She is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! Definitely prefer her over Joss. 

All in all, I was kicking myself over my mistake game 3, but I wouldn't have made it into second off of it. But I've definitely not given up on Guild, because I watched a guild player take second. I just need to play more to our strengths (amd figure them out 😂)

• Like 1

Indeed! My opponents are almost always ten thunders and rezzers so I've little exposure to the other factions, but the group up in Portland Oregon is much more vast and varied. I was chatting with them and although everyone agrees that Arcanists are in a really strong place right now, one of the things they'll do is pick a master, and just play nothing but that master for weeks on end. They REALLY know their crews and their enemies. Sun Tzu approves.

That in mind, I definitely feel like I could have been doing better. I know now to pressure Marcus more right off the bat, and probably bring some anti bury tech (DMR, Jury) because that SS miner was huge for him.

Hoffman is Hoffman. No Hoffman lost a game that tournament. I need to buy a Peacekeeper (they're so expensive) and when her model comes out, Melissa K.O.R.E. as well.

But I don't wanna have to rely on the Hoffball to win all my games. Lady J has potential to be up there, especially with friends like the Judge and Pale Rider.

I didn't end up taking Dashel or Lucius (my other 2 masters) though. Knowing that the Dispatch can basically provide enemy scheme markers as long as there's a minion next to him makes him a tad more viable, but his stuff seems pretty fragile with a lot of low min damage. I have 2 mounted guard and 1 Executioner so there's certainly mobility and power there, but I remain uncertain.

Lucius is just... Lucius. If absolutely everything goes well then he could be almost unstoppable, but that's never ever happened. (I'm open to critique on the matter.)

So next month, I'm getting 100 dollars that I can potentially put towards Malifaux. I want to be able to buy all the models for @4thstringer's Basse/Sonnia/Trap list but the Sonnia and Basse boxes would take up most of that money I think. I also don't have any Perdita or Nellie. Any opinions?

1 minute ago, Cronex13 said:

Lucius is just... Lucius. If absolutely everything goes well then he could be almost unstoppable, but that's never ever happened. (I'm open to critique on the matter.)

That does sound like Lucius. Works in theory, but never in practice. And even the reason is the same as in the second edition: His abilities only work on garbage models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Starrius said:

I need to bring lucius to a tournament I really love how he plays and even being almost completely in keyword I've been doing well, played against some killy masters and been doing well, a reported to give out distracted and staggered has helped my cause no end

Good! Most folk (including myself) think Lucius is pretty bad atm, but if I could see someone do really well with him and learn some stuff i feel like it'd really help!

What's a Lucius list look like to you?

The investigators I find to be good peices I can use to move my models prior to their activations or if needed come in and kill, having them drop a marker to push another model is useful also the mark they drop can be used by the reporter to push 6" to help position 

The reporter is a general scheme runner and can cause the staggered as needed which enables the investigators.

The lawyers are out of activation and card draw since any model except reporter and 46 gives me a card, 

Lucius can do obeys as needed and also use the hidden sniper to provide assistance over the board

• Like 1

Excellent! I like the movement tricks w/ the investigators. So this list looks pretty good, especially when they stay near each other. How do you handle strats and schemes that require spreading out? Outflank, Power Ritual, Turf War, Corrupted Idols, etc. My reason for asking is because these models by themselves tend to be pretty flimsy, so sending them somewhere without support hasn't gone well for me in the past

Ah, sort of a spiderweb with Lucius at the center. Pretty cool sounding, I might give this list a go. Your obvious main damage dealer is Agent 46, but if Lucius can get the investigator to do an early attack and give staggered, they could do see damage as well!

And definitely, the negative flips are good as long as you've got the card draw, which is never an issue with Lucius. 

I think I'll give this list a go. I've got a few months to train for the next tournament and I'd love to bring Lucius into the mix.

I think there are several good ways to build Lucius atm. I used this in a small, local tourney last month. 

Lucius

Scribe

Agent 46, LLC - 11

Pale Rider, LLC - 13

Doppleganger - 8

Lawyer - 6

Changeling - 4

Changeling - 4

Cache - 4

Changelings make Lucius move forward and move the whole crew. Everyone shoots with Pale Rider's gun. Lucius can also use Hidden Sniper if necessary.