Will one of you go and do well at a tourney with guild?

4thstringer

19 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Once I discovered I had a deck with the bj missing.  That made the game easier.

I played someone who left their red joker in the deck box. we didn't discover it until he went through his whole deck in turn 3 and went to turn the last card expecting it to be a red joker.... It would have been a nasty damage flip...

3 hours ago, le_wahou said:

I discovered a problew when I had 2 13:ram in my hand : I have added a side deck of Though the breach to my Malifaux deck. This did not really change the odds as this added 13 cards of differents suits with value 1 to 13. I just had less often BJ and RJ. And 2 x 13:ram

I mean, guild triggers being what they are, that matters, lol

Whelp, it wasn't in the cards for me to put in a good result, but the other guild player got 5th.  So that's pretty good.  I got 17th with a 2-3 finish and a diff of -2.  I ran 5 different masters, lost to the #2 and#5 finishers (only losing to#5 by one).  I misplayed the dreamer game in game 4 mainly because I misunderstood how bandersnatch worked.  I could have liked that thing off at a much better time.

I felt like I got tough draws (the number 2 finisher was my first round opponent, and the#5 was my round 3 when I was at 1-1.  I also feel like I played like garbage.  Lots of misplays.  Pale rider is about the only model that I really feel like I got performance out of all tournament.

Lady j, though she got the win, was the biggest disappointment.  I went into raspy and came up one short from killing her, my opponent healed her almost to full, and I couldn't get the kill. A def 4 model with no defenses it shouldn't be that hard.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

A def 4 model with no defenses it shouldn't be that hard.

Raspy can be almost unkillable if she wants to! If you want to kill her you need terrain removing abilities or she will just take 0 dmg from every big hits you manage to get and stone the weak dmg. While getting healed by silent one! also snowstorm is a big defense against ranged attack!

4 minutes ago, eddy said:

Well you can remoce terrain with 1 action before hitting her

Yes, you can spend 1 action to remove a piece of terrain close to you.

Against Rasputina you then need 3 actions to get 1 attack (You lose 1 to the slow, 1 to remove the Ice pillar and 1 to attack) and that's assuming she only has 1 ice pillar nearby. Put 2 or 3 pillars close to her and it becomes very very hard to kill her

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Gaston said:

@4thstringer

Hey, great job getting those games in! I am looking forward to the write ups--they may have been tough, but the tougher it is, the more informative and more they build you as a player!

TBH, I don't think I am going to be up for doing a write up this time.  I am pretty disappointed in my play overall, and am starting to rethink some basic play assumptions.

10 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

I'm curious! What have you realised?

That if its not a summoner it probably isn't worth trying to kill their master, that I need to think about what my opposing crew does when I'm picking mine more,   That  I need to play outside of my normal meta to get better (this is important because my meta rarely is able to surprise me with their actions anymore.  I just know their styles too well).

That I need to stop taking hold up because I am garbage at keeping the little guys alive.  That trying to have last activation on the last turn can mean a point, so it is important to play to that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

That if its not a summoner it probably isn't worth trying to kill their master, that I need to think about what my opposing crew does when I'm picking mine more,   That  I need to play outside of my normal meta to get better (this is important because my meta rarely is able to surprise me with their actions anymore.  I just know their styles too well).

That I need to stop taking hold up because I am garbage at keeping the little guys alive.  That trying to have last activation on the last turn can mean a point, so it is important to play to that.

I'm agreeing with you on a lot of points! killing masters is often a really big investment not worth it in most case! It is also very rare I take Assassinate as a scheme.

Knowledge of opposing crew is really important and counter-picking can give you easier win! Keyword system is a nice guideline but going OOK for a good counter-pick is always worth it! pe prepared for opponent doing the same thing to you ;) 

In my meta I know that there's only 2 very good opponents I can play against, the other 10ish people are casual players or beginners and I play most of my games against these casual players which sadly does not help me to improve because they can't capitalize on my errors and play more to kill than score points. (40k is at fault here ahah!) Playing against new opponents and finding other good players is the best way to improve! They will catch you offguard and force you to learn new ways to win and perform well! I wish Malifaux was bigger in my area (Quebec) but if you live in USA, I've heard you have a lot of communities playing the game in many states! This is worth it to go a little farther to play against other metas! ;)

Hold up their force is a tough schemes if you don't have tanky, fast and cheap models or if you are not playing a summoner! There's a lot of schemes right now I almost never take because they are way too hard to do when compared with others!

This is what I think about each schemes in the game right now:

-Detonate charge (only if I have a model who drops 2 scheme markers in 1 activation)

-Breakthrough (with fast crews and never in corner)

-Harness the Ley Line (needs lots of AP to do but is the go to choice when I have bad scheme choices)

-Search the Ruins (with good terrain placement it can be very easy and with GG 0 terrain % it's often really feasible)

-Dig their Graves (never take it, I don't play Ressers :P ... or any crew that drops lots of corpse/scrap markers)

-Hold up their force (only with very niche crews/models)

-Take Prisoner (never take it, I really don't like the reveal with no other enemies within 4'')

-Power Ritual (fast crews on corner/flank deployment)

-Outflank (a scheme I often take except when I'm playing bubble crew)

-Assassinate (almost never take it)

-Deliver a message (a very easy first point and in tournament it's often easy to do the second point also since you only play 3-4 turns)

-Claim Jump (one of my favorite scheme)

-Vendetta (I rarely take it, but GG 0 helped a lot this scheme by giving you way more possible targets! Snipers are a good but really obvious choice for this schemes)

3 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

TBH, I don't think I am going to be up for doing a write up this time.  I am pretty disappointed in my play overall, and am starting to rethink some basic play assumptions.

I think a write up might very well help others and you. Its interesting what you discover when you put it down on the page and think back on it with a better eye on what happened. 17th isn't last and those day 1 placings shifted hard on day 2 so don't beat yourself up too much. Plus this tourney is probably a pretty good representation of how masters is gonna look. Some of the best players in the game where there

17 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

starting to rethink some basic play assumptions.

In itself that sounds useful, even alone rather than as part of a fulle vent re-cap.

I certainly think knowledge of the opponent's crew is far more important than previously, particularly during crew selection, and again during scheme selection.

Strongly disagree with "it's not worth killing non-summoner Masters" as a blanket statement though - there are some that are lynchpins and really should be killed if there's an opportunity, but many that aren't.

21 minutes ago, DuBlanck said:

Strongly disagree with "it's not worth killing non-summoner Masters" as a blanket statement though - there are some that are lynchpins and really should be killed if there's an opportunity, but many that aren't.

There are plenty of non-summoner masters, that you need to kill, lest they kill you. You can't let the Viks or Lady J go on a rampage among your models, and just putting the pressure on an opposing master will affect her crew, as they'll be cheating and stoning defensively – e.g. Lucius is a lot more effective, when your opponent ignores him.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, KevinGillett said:

I took fixed list Perdita to Breach 4, 3 wins from 3 (all quite tight v Zoraida, Parker and Levi) to finish 5 of 42 

Only had 5 games with her total so far, 2 before that tournament but she's solid imo

That performance got me to give Perdita another look, but I really struggle to see what makes her work.  Any advice?

• Agree 1

Same list each game (did want to change it up last round but head couldn't add up ss so I just took same crew) 

Perdita

Enslaved 

Francisco 

Nino

Abuela

Monster Hunter

Brutal Effigy

Pale Rider

8ss

G1 v Zoraida was in plant explosives. Franc and Perdita made a beeline for Zoraida and focused on taking out his runners, was hard cos they v fast but somehow did enough. Ignored first mate completely n let it do what he wanted and killed almost everything else 

G2 v Parker Turf War (lost perdita and all 8ss turn one)... Had measured wrong with Perdita and couldn't pull her back with ride with me.. Rider came to rescue and all the stuff Perdita had half killed turn one melted and he just didn't have the ap to score outflank n flip turf markers then. Completely outgunned me tho

G3 v Levi was Reckoning, delivered a message last actuation to squeek the win by 1vp.. Made a fort in the corner for harness leylines 

Full S&S are below 

https://www.bag-o-tools.com/live/#/live/1414

I play very aggressive and Perdita suits this... Surprisingly quick crew. Used the family rule to get bonus ap to drop schemes and move about mostly 

Turn 1 I nearly always try and advance Perdita so I can get a few shots off and stone for the mask if I don't have a high mask in hand. If can really hurt 4 diff models bonus, if not 4 shots at 2 or 3 models is a good start... Pale rider can follow next n ride with me to relative safety is my plan 

Was just a case of having simple plans n sticking to them, am not an amazing player, tho had good results with the viks this year and one last round table 1 game with Pandora/Nekima... All with sticking to simple plans n no crazy combos

Am gonna try Perdita again early 2020 now I've had a few games with her and can apply that learning to more games 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...