Self targeting, Auras(X), Non-auras stacking

Ogid

Question

Hi! A few basic doubts I've got after reading the rules:

1 Self-targeting: When can a model target itself with an ability?

Duels (pg 10) says that if the ability has a Resist strat is an opposed duel between 2 models, I guess a model can't make an opposed duel with himself (so, no self attacks or self "stutter time" in Oblivion for example). So a model can target itself if the ability doesn't have a Resist stat and there isn't any other condition (like the "Other models only").

2 Auras (pg 30): When an aura is considered different? + can different non-auras with the same name can trigger at the same time/stack?

For example, in the case of Pandora a lot of models have the "Misery" aura, you can't trigger more than one of these. However the academic has Mantra (X) ability; are Mantra(Healing) and Mantra (Wisdom) the same ability or you can trigger both at the same time?

Non-aura abilities, on the other hand, seem to be able to trigger at the same time, for example, the Qi and Gong "Leverage" would give a pass token per scheme revealed per model with the ability or the Steam Arachnid's "Latch on" can stack higher than -1df.

Did I get those right? Ty in advance!

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

Hi! A few basic doubts I've got after reading the rules:

1 Self-targeting: When can a model target itself with an ability?

Duels (pg 10) says that if the ability has a Resist strat is an opposed duel between 2 models, I guess a model can't make an opposed duel with himself (so, no self attacks or self "stutter time" in Oblivion for example). So a model can target itself if the ability doesn't have a Resist stat and there isn't any other condition (like the "Other models only").

2 Auras (pg 30): When an aura is considered different? + can different non-auras with the same name can trigger at the same time/stack?

For example, in the case of Pandora a lot of models have the "Misery" aura, you can't trigger more than one of these. However the academic has Mantra (X) ability; are Mantra(Healing) and Mantra (Wisdom) the same ability or you can trigger both at the same time?

Non-aura abilities, on the other hand, seem to be able to trigger at the same time, for example, the Qi and Gong "Leverage" would give a pass token per scheme revealed per model with the ability or the Steam Arachnid's "Latch on" can stack higher than -1df.

Did I get those right? Ty in advance!

1) ability or action? You cannot target yourself with Attack Actions but everything else is ok (unless specified with 'other')

2) when it comes from an ability with a different name. Mantras stack. Misery doesn't

Abilities don't stack unless they have a +X. 

10 hours ago, trikk said:

1) ability or action? You cannot target yourself with Attack Actions but everything else is ok (unless specified with 'other')

2) when it comes from an ability with a different name. Mantras stack. Misery doesn't

Abilities don't stack unless they have a +X. 

Ty, yes I meant actions.

So non-aura abilities don't stack even when the are non-aura? So if 2 Steam Arachnids are engaged with 1 model, that model has -1df instead of -2df?

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

Ty, yes I meant actions.

So non-aura abilities don't stack even when the are non-aura? So if 2 Steam Arachnids are engaged with 1 model, that model has -1df instead of -2df?

Abilities don't stack on a singular model. So if somehow a steam arachnid were to gain another instance of Latch On it would be ignored. The effect of Latch On however is cumulative as it is no an aura so models can be affected by it more than once. Latch On isn't a catch of an ability stacking, but the effect of an ability stacking.

• Thanks 1

I had a similar question about auras and abilities. 

1) Nightmare crew ability "feed on fear" - after an enemy model within this model's engagement range fails a Wp duel, this model heal 1.

If 2 nightmare models engaging 1 model and this model fail wp duel, all nightmares will heal 1 wound or not? 

2) can u please explain why this auras stack (example from rule book)

"After an ememy model within 6" aura cheats fate, this model may push up to 2" in any direction..."

Am i right that  2 auras  with the same name can work in the same time only if they influence on 2 or more different models?

Thanks for answers.

16 minutes ago, f1amius said:

1) Nightmare crew ability "feed on fear" - after an enemy model within this model's engagement range fails a Wp duel, this model heal 1.

If 2 nightmare models engaging 1 model and this model fail wp duel, all nightmares will heal 1 wound or not? 

Every model with "Feed on Fear" will heal 1 wound.  A single event (failing a Wp duel) can trigger any number of active abilities.  

16 minutes ago, f1amius said:

2) can u please explain why this auras stack (example from rule book)

"After an ememy model within 6" aura cheats fate, this model may push up to 2" in any direction..."

Am i right that  2 auras  with the same name can work in the same time only if they influence on 2 or more different models?

Yes, that is the distinction that the examples are trying to illustrate.  Each instance of the aura affects one model, that is permitted.

• Thanks 1