Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sluki

Starter Misaki List

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

I know there are a lot of threads on Misaki, however I need your advice for a starter List, in which I can usefully include Archers since I really like the models :)

thanks in advance for any advice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend used to run a Misaki gunline crew in M2E.  He's out of Malifaux now, so the models are mine and I'm going to try it out.

Misaki

Shang

Ototo

Fuhatsu

Samurai

TT Archer

Katanaka Sniper

He made it work in M2E.  I haven't seen it in M3E yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My core is usually Misaki, Ototo, Minako, tanuki and Shang 

You could take two archers and Yamaziko with them.

Yamaziko and tanuki buff the archers.

Archers shoot things.

Ototo hits things in the face.

Minako summons Katashiro to scheme.

Misaki does what ever she needs to. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Misaki, Ototo, Shang, Tanuki, Snipers, Yamaziko, Minako and Tankui are all great, Archers are good if you can set them up to do something big. If not they feel very underwhelming. Also consider Fuhatsu as a versatile model if you want a pretty reliable and pretty tough versatile pick.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m on the same boat as OP here. I currently own the following: Misaki box set, yamaziko, thunder archers, katanaka snipers, tt brothers and crime bosses. My questions are the following: what type of list would you advise? Is minako essential (purchasing the encounter box is a bit of a drag for one/two models)? Anything I am lacking and should get my hands into?

Thank you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering Manos' (only resser Yan Lo model out of the encounter box) 3e box is made entirely of resser Yan Lo models, I'd say there's decent odds that we'll get a box with Minako & her summons with no extra baggage. Nothing's been spoiled to that effect, so it's strictly idle musings on my part. But it seems highly likely we'll get a much more TT friendly box to buy her in in 3e.

You've got Misaki's keyword fairly well covered already. You can build extremely functional lists with what you have already. Sure there's plenty versatiles and out-of-keyword models you might like to have for some variety or specific shenanigans, but you've got your bases covered. Just play some and see what you'd like.

Biggest "needs" that strike me are counters to specific styles of crews. Tanuki are highly efficient condition removers. Last Blossom struggles with armour so Sidir Alchibal or Samurai would be welcome additions. Those spring to mind first. But unless your regular opponent is Hoffman or something, you can probably do without them for now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Considering Manos' (only resser Yan Lo model out of the encounter box) 3e box is made entirely of resser Yan Lo models, I'd say there's decent odds that we'll get a box with Minako & her summons with no extra baggage. Nothing's been spoiled to that effect, so it's strictly idle musings on my part. But it seems highly likely we'll get a much more TT friendly box to buy her in in 3e.

You've got Misaki's keyword fairly well covered already. You can build extremely functional lists with what you have already. Sure there's plenty versatiles and out-of-keyword models you might like to have for some variety or specific shenanigans, but you've got your bases covered. Just play some and see what you'd like.

Biggest "needs" that strike me are counters to specific styles of crews. Tanuki are highly efficient condition removers. Last Blossom struggles with armour so Sidir Alchibal or Samurai would be welcome additions. Those spring to mind first. But unless your regular opponent is Hoffman or something, you can probably do without them for now.

I don't know who my regular opponent will be, I am starting in the game and have signed up for the local league :-) Anyway, thank you for the advice and well, I can see that for a start I'm pretty well covered. 

Since I brought up the Minako Rei issue and you responded, do you think that even in the actual state of the box it could be worthwhile to buy that provided I'm playing yanlo  in the future? In other words: are the resser models in the encounter boxset what minakorei is to misaki's crew?

Thanks again Nikodemus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulo said:

Since I brought up the Minako Rei issue and you responded, do you think that even in the actual state of the box it could be worthwhile to buy that provided I'm playing yanlo  in the future? In other words: are the resser models in the encounter boxset what minakorei is to misaki's crew?

Thanks again Nikodemus.

Thinking in terms of 3e keywords, Undying box is made up of a few different components:

  • TT Versatile/Last Blossom: Minako Rei + her summons
  • Res/(TT via Yan Lo) Retainer: Manos
  • Res Redchapel/Revenant: Mourners
  • Res Versatile: Grave Golem

___

As you can see the Res part of the box is all over the place.  Admittedly Grave Golem is versatile and Manos is good enough to hire out of keyword.

If you plan to stick to TT Yan Lo, the box has three useless models. Up to you to define what's "worth". I got lucky and found single Manos when I was starting Yan Lo. I'm waiting for a more TT customer friendly 3e box for Minako.

Oh yeah I should probably mention that I've played 20-ish games with Misaki in 3e. Never proxied in Minako. On paper I can see how she'd be good. But honestly I haven't missed having her either. I will definitely grab her 3e box when it comes available but I'm not exactly hurting in the meanwhile.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Thinking in terms of 3e keywords, Undying box is made up of a few different components:

  • TT Versatile/Last Blossom: Minako Rei + her summons
  • Res/(TT via Yan Lo) Retainer: Manos
  • Res Redchapel/Revenant: Mourners
  • Res Versatile: Grave Golem

___

As you can see the Res part of the box is all over the place.  Admittedly Grave Golem is versatile and Manos is good enough to hire out of keyword.

If you plan to stick to TT Yan Lo, the box has three useless models. Up to you to define what's "worth". I got lucky and found single Manos when I was starting Yan Lo. I'm waiting for a more TT customer friendly 3e box for Minako.

Oh yeah I should probably mention that I've played 20-ish games with Misaki in 3e. Never proxied in Minako. On paper I can see how she'd be good. But honestly I haven't missed having her either. I will definitely grab her 3e box when it comes available but I'm not exactly hurting in the meanwhile.

Thank you, I had my doubts and still have on whether to buy her but I'll probably wait till I have more experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried her yet, but looking at the cards, I'd start with something like: 

Misaki
Shang
Katanaka Crime Boss 8ss
Minako Rei 8ss
Wokou Raider 8ss
Torakage 6ss
Torakage 6ss
Low River Monk 5ss
Tanuki 5ss

4ss pool

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got a chance to try Misaki on Saturday.  I have a bunch of models from a friend who no longer games.  In M2E he ran Misaki gunline, so that was mostly what I had:

Misaki, Shang, Ototo, Fuhatsu, Samurai (Trained Ninja), Katanaka Crime Boss, Katanaka Sniper

I've been painting the crime boss, which is the reason I used him.  In retrospect, not the best model for this game.

My opponent was a Som'er crew with Lenny, Gracie, Crier, Banjonista, Old Cranky, Skeeters and Bayou Gremlins.

Corrupted Idols strategy.  My schemes were out flank and breakthrough, his vendetta and dig the graves.

I managed a 5-3 win, mostly because killing Gracie early made Vendetta impossible for him, and winning initiative consistently was sufficient to keep Idols away from his models.  Ototo bit the dust (he Black Jokered his Juggernaut heal!) after absorbing some good punishment, the crime boss died achieving nothing except getting me the strategy once.  The Samurai got me breakthrough and Misaki + Sniper did outflank.

Misaki is interesting because her lack of defenses and unbury mechanic make her want to act later in the turn, but her :ToS-Fast: and MV are tied to earlier activation.  Good design, in my opinion, forces players to make decisions.  

I found my perception of her was off though.  Prior to this game, I thought of her as a high burst type character.  But as my opponent pointed out in our post mortem, she's more of a bully who wants to target important but weak models.  Her unbury mechanic was great at securing me Outflank, and the synergy with Shang (who is definitely one of my favorite totems) is strong.

Misaki does not seem to be an easy master to play, but her high mobility is definitely interesting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Misaki is great, she is the first master I played in this game. Glad you liked it, some notes about her:

Misaki is not as squishy as she looks, she does lack defenses versus ranged or spells actions, so careful with these; but extended reach means that most enemies will only get 1 attack versus her per turn. This pairs nicely with mobile warrior, so versus enemies with a range of 1 she can charge while engaged to reposition and take full advantage of his 2 range. It's not the toughest master out of there so she can't facetank forever, but she can keep enemies busy if the player knows what he is doing (plus she can always bury and get healed if things get hairy)

Her damage is something to consider, the stat of 7 make her quite accurate and as her damage track is 2/4/5 she should go always for moderate+; that means take advantage of the :+flip of the charge and if possible having a focused ready for the second attack (if she was loaded with focused, it's not hard to get 12 damage out of her in one turn). Also if the enemy clumps, consider using SS to get the suit to trigger cataclysm; just 2 of these are 8 damage for each model in range.

And some random advice:

Torakages are great as quick schemers, but they are also great to extend the threat range of Misaki (they can create shadow markers); Misaki may be one turn killing the enemy premium runner and the next one in the other side of the map thanks to them. A terracota near of Ototo to copy "The storm is coming" is another way to extend her threat range; Ototo himself could use it, but you'll want all his actions to wreck face. The snipers are great, but mind also the Archers; target practice is gold to deny schemes.

Keep an eye in the abilities that might give you pass tokens; if any qui and gong model fits in your crew (Kabuki, Bunraku, Bill or Kunoichi would be my choices), those pass tokens are really helpful (or models like the lone swordman with his tome trigger, much easier to trigger than the thematic "unworthy of her attention"). Check also Masked agent, the "with me" ability have a few uses in this crew.

For games like idols consider Minako, 2 Katashiros to sacrifice moving the markers are really helpful; and these are great models anyway.

Hope it helps!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

np!

For supports in TT the best options are the tanuki or the low river hands down.

If you need a resilient support versus an agressive crew that may reach the backline easily, SunQuiang is more expensive but it's worth every SS. In this case consider also some of the flying models (like the Emissary) or the Minako+Katashiros for the extra healing when placed around him if they fit in the crew.

If you feel you won't need the healing, consider the Kunoichi as a suportish model. She is reasonabily tanky for her price (Disguised + Bullet Proof), has leverage (pass tokens), tools for the job (to get those high cards back from the discard pile) and I've got your back (with a focused trigger). She also has a galvanize trigger in the shuriken (garanteed thanks to tools for the job). The first turns she may even attack some of your models to give a few Focused (then heal it with the fox or use for it a disposable katashiro). Her damage potential with Misaki is low for the absence of Distracted, but if some model isolate himself, no witnesses trigger may be useful. Awesome model.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeperColony said:

Have you tried Lust in the crew? 

No... is she good with Misaki?

She is a bit squishy and deal no damage, her utility is nice... maybe she could worth it to set up Misaki's shockwaves with Now Kiss, but I'm not 100% sold on her tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ogid said:

No... is she good with Misaki?

She is a bit squishy and deal no damage, her utility is nice... maybe she could worth it to set up Misaki's shockwaves with Now Kiss, but I'm not 100% sold on her tbh

I don't know myself, but in my game against Som'er who draws a lot of cards, she could be useful if she can be kept close enough and yet alive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeperColony said:

I don't know myself, but in my game against Som'er who draws a lot of cards, she could be useful if she can be kept close enough and yet alive...

I know little about Sommer, but he is a summoner; so he will probably want to play supporting in the back... to make that work she would have to go too deep imo, she isn't that tough. Plus some of the draw from that crew is from insignificant dying, which is harder to take advantage of with her.

I don't think it's worth it, but I don't have experience versus him; so I might be wrong here...

If you want to take advantage of his hand I'd go for the Emissary, cheat for the trigger of Profecies and refill your own hand, another option would be the Charm Wader with his ignore demise (so no cards when they die), plus the exorcism trigger might be gold. Minako also draws 1 card when you have less with her bonus action

Another option is investing in more shockwaves and area damage, they need to stay near to keep the bonuses; again the Emissary is a good pick... even the dawn serpent could be great, it's quite fast, has a dobule blast attack and his bonus will heal a ton versus that crew. A wanyudo would probably work well versus him, either hired or summoned by Minako. Any of the machineguns could be good too (Samurai/Fuhatsu/Sidir).

Or even fight the fire with fire, second master Asami, summon an Obsidian Oni and send him with his aura active in the middle of his crew (Asami + Amanjaku + Minako could be dirty :P)

Some of these options rely on burning, you could even pick 2 of these plus an obsidian statue XDD.

IDK, you have a lot of options OOK versus that playstyle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ogid said:

Also if the enemy clumps, consider using SS to get the suit to trigger cataclysm; just 2 of these are 8 damage for each model in range.

I agree with most of what Ogid said but I'm not sure the above is correct (unless Im missing something?)

From the rulebook:

If a model would be affected by multiple Shockwave Markers Dropped by the same Action, it only resolves the effects of the Shockwave once. 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, model can't be damaged more than once by a singel shockwave action. No matter how many markers get put down. All that ram trigger does for Misaki is gives her a lot more AoE.

 

15 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Misaki is interesting because her lack of defenses and unbury mechanic make her want to act later in the turn, but her :ToS-Fast: and MV are tied to earlier activation.  Good design, in my opinion, forces players to make decisions. 

Give her Trained Ninja (for Stealth) and keep Shang safe. Most things will struggle to meaningfully hurt her.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my first Misaki game last night, playing Reckoning against Nico. Overall I had a lot of fun playing her. I intentionally staying mostly in-keyword, running this list: 

Misaki
Shang
Yamaziko
Crime Boss
Woukou Raider
2x Torakage
Low River Monk
Tanuki
5 SS cache

I was pretty happy with the list and it's performance, winning 6-5. I didn't have quite enough damage output to kill more than a few models, but the list's mobility, scheme marker shenanigans, and card reliability made it all work. I might consider swapping the Crime Boss or the Tanuki (+3SS) for a 2nd Woukou Raider. The flexibility they provide with shooting and melee proved invaluable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...