The Malifaux Tattler

Dark Reaper

I am trying to write a blog where I document the games I play. Trying is very fitting here as I haven't really updated it in half a year. It isn't very comprehensive, but it is a nice tool for reflecting on the games and find out if I made any mistakes in list-building or playing.

Yesterday, I played a game against Kirai: https://malifauxtattler.blogspot.com/2019/08/lady-justice-vs-kirai.html

• Like 2

It was a toss up between him and Steward here. I figured I might as well use him as the Steward could heal him and that he is fairly sturdy (albeit damaging himself). He is also very slow, so using him for Claim Jump allowed me to just play him as a card draw bot, given how the terrain was laid out. In hindsight, the Domador would be a good choice for Claim Jump as well.

6 hours ago, Dark Reaper said:

It was a toss up between him and Steward here. I figured I might as well use him as the Steward could heal him and that he is fairly sturdy (albeit damaging himself). He is also very slow, so using him for Claim Jump allowed me to just play him as a card draw bot, given how the terrain was laid out. In hindsight, the Domador would be a good choice for Claim Jump as well.

My opponents kill off my domadors on sight.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Thanks! I agree the samurai are pretty OP. Darn TT. 

think about it, Samurai with Trained Ninja is 11ss, same price as the Pale Rider and the rider is miles ahead in terms of power from the samurai! ;) TT don't have a super Horseman of doom so they instead get a very good minion which is hard too shift and deals good dmg exactly as the Rider but on a smaller scale. (rider can obliterate multiple models in a turn while the samurai habitually only kill one per turn!

The fact he lost his Pale Rider and the Judge early in the game is more the reason why this was a one-sided game than the fact Samurai are strong. If you loose your big beaters early and don't kill anything with them, of course you will loose hard in any game this will happen! ;)

19 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

think about it, Samurai with Trained Ninja is 11ss, same price as the Pale Rider and the rider is miles ahead in terms of power from the samurai! ;) TT don't have a super Horseman of doom so they instead get a very good minion which is hard too shift and deals good dmg exactly as the Rider but on a smaller scale. (rider can obliterate multiple models in a turn while the samurai habitually only kill one per turn!

The fact he lost his Pale Rider and the Judge early in the game is more the reason why this was a one-sided game than the fact Samurai are strong. If you loose your big beaters early and don't kill anything with them, of course you will loose hard in any game this will happen! ;)

I haven't played against anyone that doesn't think the pale rider is busted

• Agree 2

I think the main problem in the TT game, in addition to the PR and Judge dying early (even though Judge managed to do some dmg and PR almost killed one of his small scheme runners), was the fact that it was so hard to build a good Guild list that could compete with TT in this scheme pool. It also felt like every time I got a small chance to get back into the game after that double RJ start, something kept stopping me from it. Lady J was about to kill the Emissary, but pulled the BJ on a straight flip, Effigy died right before it would become and emissary. There were a few misreadings of the rules as well, such as the Thunder Archer being able to move away with its defensive trigger after I hit it with ancient words from The Jury (double mistake), or the Emissary doing 7dmg in one attack, which he simply cannot do, even with RJ.

Anyway, I feel I have a better understanding of the matchup now, which will hopefully help me in the future. 

12 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I haven't played against anyone that doesn't think the pale rider is busted

I'm wondering how they could nerf the horsemen to make them less of an auto-pick but still fun to play? remove ride with me? make the trigger for their big bonus actions harder to pull off? (like devastation would need 6 or 7 rams?) or make them cost as much as a master?

what do you think @4thstringer?

5 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

I'm wondering how they could nerf the horsemen to make them less of an auto-pick but still fun to play? remove ride with me? make the trigger for their big bonus actions harder to pull off? (like devastation would need 6 or 7 rams?) or make them cost as much as a master?

what do you think @4thstringer?

Tbh, right now if they nerf the pale rider guild will go from probable wooden spoon to near certain wooden spoon.  That being said, they could lose ride with me and it's probably still runnable.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

And TT can have more than one samurai and Fuhstsu and lone swordsmen. All are versatile too... 

I know they're not unbeatable, but it sure seems like TT got a major power boost. Don't get me started on jorogumo... 😁

TT are really strong now for a multitude of reasons!

-They don't have ''weak'' keyword! Every Masters in the faction can be played on a competitive settings and they each are very strong in what they aim to do (control, fast schemers, killy crew, tanky crew, etc.)

-They have good defensive upgrades

-They have a lot of strong versatile models that can easily patch the weak part of each keyword

You make all of this together and you have a very good faction that can do well in every part of the game! Every playstyle is supported and they have strong and fun mechanics for all of their keyword! Also, they can counter-pick against a lot of Guild keyword/models because of all the options they get and their easy access to stealth models/upgrade.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...