Three player encounters

LordZombie

So we seems to keep ending up with odd number of players. As much as I don't mind sitting out so everyone else can play, I would like to get my game on as it is my only night to game. So I worked on some rules for three player encounters. Please look them over and post up any feedback you got to help out. 

Set up for a game will be as normal with the following changes:

Deployment- there will be two corner deployments on the same table edge and wedge deployment on the opposite table edge. The highest flip is still Attacker and his flip will set the Strategy. Keep track of the flips. Center line is always the line between the two corner deployment and wedge. 

Scheme-See changes below. Attacker still flip for pool.

Deploying- All players split their crew in two. The lowest flip picks one of the Attackers groups, next highest picks one for the lowest flip, and Attacker picks mid flip group. Then go around again.

In game- Winner of the Initiative picks the order of play for all players.

Strategy changes:
Turf war- same
Plant Explosives- same rules but corners count the opposite table quarter for placement of markers and the wedge counts the opposite table half.  
Corrupted Idol- same rules but count the center line that is between the corner deployment and wedge deployment. The player in the wedge deployment always chooses the idol placement and from his point of view.
Reckoning- same

Schemes:
Detonate charges- same
Breakthrough- target player to the left
Harness the ley line- same
Search the Ruins- use rules for placement the same as Plant Explosives
Dig their graves-same
Hold up their forces- same
Take prisoner- same
Power ritual- same
Outflank- same
Assassinate- target player to the left
Deliver a message- same
Claim jump-same
Vendetta-same

Oh, the corrupted idols seems like it will be very unbalanced.

That strategy basically seems to come down to who can cheat initiative with the suit they desire. Either give everyone the option to cheat the card that determines idol, or no one (just have an extra flip that determines idol positioning)?

Edit: also make sure reckoning applies only to models you kill, not enemy models killed? From memory the wording on Reckoning counts any enemy models killed to prevent self kills.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Cool! Would love to hear how it goes in testing.

I wonder if you should reduce soulstones count to make the game a similar game length?

Also have you looked at the team play rules released at the same time as henchmen hardcore? Might have some useful things in there.

Smaller stone is the way to go. So far, that seems to be the number one response to three player rules, just use the team rules. That does not come out as balance when it is one vs two. I know this as I ran a league once uses the older team rules. 

On 8/6/2019 at 4:32 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, the corrupted idols seems like it will be very unbalanced.

That strategy basically seems to come down to who can cheat initiative with the suit they desire. Either give everyone the option to cheat the card that determines idol, or no one (just have an extra flip that determines idol positioning)?

Edit: also make sure reckoning applies only to models you kill, not enemy models killed? From memory the wording on Reckoning counts any enemy models killed to prevent self kills.

Corrupted idols is a little tougher as it is one side of the table versus two. Figured that letting the one player control the idol would help a little. Corrupted Idols in a one vs one game is all about cheating to control the idol, or choking the board to control it, that is only way I have seen it played.