Blood Poisoning = Expunge?

Bazlord_Prime

Hi all,

Just taking a gander over M3e Brewmaster for the first time, and then reading a mate's batrep about a McMourning game, and I wondered how the two would interact when faced with each other? 

To me, "Blood Poisoning" reads kinda like the damage done from it is actually Poison damage, rather than generic damage:

"Target suffers damage from the Poison Condition equal to the value of its Poison Condition (to a maximum of 5 damage)." 

So am I correct in thinking that the defensive abilities of both Brewy and McM's crews regarding Poison would just negate the Blood Poisoning damage (also thereby Healing the filthy Rezzer crew. Sigh...)?

Thanks!

To me it's not poison damage its straight damage based on the poison condition. We are reading between the line to formulate that its poison in nature. 

Edit well maybe if that's how its worded... I have to look at the card. I'm at work right now I'll follow up in a couple hours

• Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mightymoriar said:

To me it's not poison damage its straight damage based on the poison condition. We are reading between the line to formulate that its poison in nature. 

Edit well maybe if that's how its worded... I have to look at the card. I'm at work right now I'll follow up in a couple hours

Yeah, it's now (in M3e) worded specifically that the target suffers damage from the Poison Condition. I know in M2e it was clarified that Expunge just did plain old damage, but this is ... suspicious. 

I'm going to go with what's written, as CD1248 agrees, unless I see otherwise. And as far as I know, no-one else has questioned this, so it must be fairly uncontroversial? Or do we think most players are probably just playing it the same way as M2e Expunge, out of habit?

Note that the rulebook has a paragraph saying:

Some game effects cause models to suffer damage from a Condition. Damage suffered this way is affected by any effects referring to the Condition.

So, for instance, effects like

Perverse Metabolism:  When this model would suffer damage from Poison, it instead Heals an amount equal to the amount of damage it would have suffered.

or High Tolerance

High Tolerance: Reduce all damage this model suffers from Poison to 0.

would all apply when you resolve an effect like Catalyst:

Catalyst:  Models with Poison that start their Activation within :aura3 suffer 1 damage from Poison.

Back to Dr. McMourning, if you have a bunch of models with Perverse Metabolism or something similar, that applies when you use Blood Poisoning on them.

On the other hand, right after the first paragraph quoted, the rules also say:

If an Action would kill a model from damage suffered from a Condition (such as an Action that states “Target suffers 2 damage from the Burning Condition”), the model taking the Action is considered to have killed the model.

So:

1.  All of the effects that apply to the Condition apply to "damage from the Condition."  So the damage still acts like the Condition did it.  🎉

2.  You still take credit for causing the damage using the Action.  So the damage still acts like the Action did it. 🎉

and the reason why people argued about it during M2E (that Poison damage couldn't be reduced or prevented) is dead.  🎉

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2019 at 2:50 AM, CD1248 said:

That's correct. Because the attack specifies that the damage is caused by Poison, abilities that negate Poison damage will prevent it from working properly.

It also means you will do +1 damage due to alcohol poisoning 

It's a fine match up because a bunch of Tri-Chi tricks besides poison damage requires the enemy to have 1-3 poison already and Experimental put it on themselves, and some Tri-Chi models need a bunch of poison on them for our own tricks and Experimental will put it on your models for you!

So let them walk into your slow bubble, get punched harder, take negatives to attack, and cause you to move faster.  Because on top of that, if we need to, we can just remove their poison from them.

I actually talked about this in the Brewmaster episode of Third Floor Wars. Its a huge pillow fight that Brew gets an edge in because he can focus down models to ignore their healing and they will always be slow nearby and will always have to discard for beer goggles. 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, Mrbedlam said:

I actually talked about this in the Brewmaster episode of Third Floor Wars. Its a huge pillow fight that Brew gets an edge in because he can focus down models to ignore their healing and they will always be slow nearby and will always have to discard for beer goggles. 

A friend and myself actually played this matchup out.

It legit was a pillow fight with the above pushing it in Brewmaster's favour. It was interesting, but not something we would like to do again soon 😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ebolazaire said:

A friend and myself actually played this matchup out.

It legit was a pillow fight with the above pushing it in Brewmaster's favour. It was interesting, but not something we would like to do again soon 😛

whats funny is when you realize that Brewie's defensive trigger can push one of his models 10 inches or more

• Thanks 1