Starting M3e Zoraida crew

WouterR

I've only just bought her for Bayou so I'm hoping to get some advice here aswell. However I know from using him with Zipp and from the fact every Zoraida player can't praise him enough that the First Mate is an auto include. He's that wonderful combination of being very good at scheming and being exceptionally fun to use.

There you may find some useful information.

Basically:

Henchmens:

Almost all henchmens are great, maybe with some little exception. McTavish who provides nice shooting (but not so nice as in 2nd edition, i miss his mask trigger) has quite nice movement (16" per turn). Juju is great brawler (if there are not too many shooters in enemy crew) and Zoraida's spell arc, First Mate is just leaping wonder anti schemer scheming beater. Spawn Mother has great synergy with Gupps which she can summon (in second turn for one soulstone you have all three Gupps on table) and Gupps may be wonderful for annoying & free Spawn Mother's charge spam and funny scheme runners (size 0 with stealh with low masks should be enough).

Also Hinamatsu is wonderful versatile model, but there is almost no room for him.

As for some Enforcers:

Adze looks quite tasty and nasty with high mobility, wonderful triggers and zero actions, but... i usually don't have enought ss for them after hiring the rest of crew including Will O Wisps.

Doppleganger with McTavish gives you additional and high quality shooting.

Mysterious Emissary - i' ve always enjoyed hazardous terrain mixed with Zoraida's obey.

Minions:

Bokor and Will O Wisp have quite nice synergy with voodoo doll (bokor is wonderful target for the doll to stab with frantic frail).

Silurid is even greater scheme runner than in second edition.

Gupps mentioned above.

I would rather pass on Gators.

I have no clue in practice, but in theory i wouldn't hope too much for Will O Wisp or Gupps  evolution, especially the second one.

• Like 1

Waldgeist are quite slow with Mv4 and they are not so tanky as in the second edition, but now you have easy way to heal them thanks to Zoraida's ram trigger on Hex, but thanks to Germinate they have some good synergy with Juju and Mysterious Emissary as they can create more severe terrain (probably main reason to take them) and add some kind of protection thanks to concealing trait. As the severe terrain now affects all kind of movement it is also nice to germinate whole alley so enemy model will have to break through almost whole game or just leave this part of the table for you. But i see more uses of Waldgeist in Titania rather than Zoraida (no soulstones for them after hiring other models).

For me the main difference between my Zoraida crew if I'm playing Neverborn over Bayou is the upgrades.  I almost completely stay in keyword and so use versatile or master models infrequently.  So take a good look at what the upgrades offer when deciding which way to lean.  

A couple of points on some models talked about:

Waldgeists are great on maps with large forests due to the unique range they have during their attacks.  However, like others have said, they are slow to get into the fray otherwise. I like them for putting the undergrowth marker to make a chokepoint, and as an anti-scheme runner on certain match-ups.  

Gators are more useful now than in m2e, imo.  They are a brutal 5ss model that may only be stat 5, but can do some serious damage if they hit.  Most importantly their abilities all synergize nicely, they have unimpeded, ruthless and stealth allowing them to get close and get a good charge in without being shot at. Once engaging, they have flurry for an extra bite and penetrating stench, which can brutalize certain models that rely on triggers or bonus actions if they don't pitch a card. Personally, I like to run them when playing in a Bayou crew with "Two gremlins in a ghillie suit" (formerly trench coat) both because it is hilarious and makes them even more threatening. Sz 3, Stat 6 2/3/3 gun instead of using ambush, and the main bonus Disguised. These guys at 7ss are getting spendy, but always get the first big hit (or 4!). I'm not saying they are always the best option, but I've enjoyed having one or two in my games.

• Like 1