Walking through engagement

Clement

Question

Question came up in the game tonight, we interpreted it "narrowly", but I wanted to get some more eyes on it.

Is it possible to walk *through* an enemy model's engagement?  The walk action starts and ends outside the enemy engagement range, but in the middle, is in base to base let's say.

We hung the whole decision on "This move cannot be used to leave an enemy model’s 
engagement range." But I'm wondering if there's something more direct.

As a follow up, can you *charge* through an engagement range?

5 answers to this question

You can't Walk out of engagement, full stop. It doesn't matter if you started your Walk outside it, once you're engaged you can't leave it with Walk movement.

This restriction only applies to the Walk action, so you can charge right through an engagement range.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

The wording is walk cannot leave engagement with an enemy, whether you started in engagement doesn't come into it. At no point can a normal walk leave an engagement of an enemy model. (I.e. to get past you have to go right around the outside.)

Charge is only affected by engagement when you declare it (you can't when engaged). After declaring it you can perform the push right into or through engagement ranges with no issues. This makes spacing your front line models important for blocking charges into your back line.

Also note the charge generates an attack. It doesn't matter who the target is at the end or even IF there would be a target when you push. 

7 minutes ago, frumpypigskin said:

The wording is walk cannot leave engagement with an enemy, whether you started in engagement doesn't come into it. At no point can a normal walk leave an engagement of an enemy model. (I.e. to get past you have to go right around the outside.)

Charge is only affected by engagement when you declare it (you can't when engaged). After declaring it you can perform the push right into or through engagement ranges with no issues. This makes spacing your front line models important for blocking charges into your back line.

Also note the charge generates an attack. It doesn't matter who the target is at the end or even IF there would be a target when you push. 

Important distinction we discovered was that attack was a "may", so if for some reason you end up charging into friendly models, you don't necessarily have to attack them.

• Agree 1