Where’s the product?

Hot4Perdita

Tmod, thank you for that very in depth analysis. Never knew all that was involved. When I first started Malifaux, I saw a guy that had a Death Marshall special model called a Miss something. It was a good looking lady rather than a flaming skeleton dude. I can guess now where it came from!

So what makes Gencon more important for Wyrd than other huge events like LVO, NOVA open, Adept Con, etc? I have never been to any of these and know very little of them, other than people saying they want to go and play in the tournaments there, and hearing of them being platforms for new releases for game manufacturers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hot4Perdita said:

Tmod, thank you for that very in depth analysis. Never knew all that was involved. When I first started Malifaux, I saw a guy that had a Death Marshall special model called a Miss something. It was a good looking lady rather than a flaming skeleton dude. I can guess now where it came from!

So what makes Gencon more important for Wyrd than other huge events like LVO, NOVA open, Adept Con, etc? I have never been to any of these and know very little of them, other than people saying they want to go and play in the tournaments there, and hearing of them being platforms for new releases for game manufacturers.

Proximity is likely a large factor. Indy is a lot closer than Illinois and Nevada, and NOVA I think is focused more on the gaming side. They do have Volunteers that help organizing their tournaments during those events.

40 minutes ago, Hot4Perdita said:

You welcome! 🙂

Anything that helps people understand the cogs and wheels in the background will probably help promote a healthier and more constructive and friendly discussion here. At least that's what I tell myself after having committed an atrocious wall of text... 

Part of the answer to why GenCon is probably just because. Wyrd has long since settled on a release rhythm where the year is centred on GenCon. As Yew mentioned proximity is probably one reason why it became like that. I also suspect sheer size is another. GenCon is THE original gaming convention, first organized by what later became TSR of D&D fame. The con has been around for a long time, and as far as I've understood it's the biggest one out there. I know Wyrd has frequented Nova and Adepticon, so often they close for a day or two during those. But they're not associated with massive pre-releases and a huge presence (two booths) like GenCon, so GenCon involves quite a bit longer downtime....

• Like 2

Man forget july releases, i bought everything bar the core boxes across 3 separate online retailers and the only thing i've received since launch was the resser faction card pack. I dont even have the cards to use my main crew in this edition yet and its the second month of waiting, thank god i at least have a pdf of the rules since thats a no show as well but its happened to everyone i know in the uk and so everyone excited for the launch has been told print off paper cards or use proxy models and for the most part they shelved everything and are fully focussed on Warcry now. Talk about timing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Man forget july releases, i bought everything bar the core boxes across 3 separate online retailers and the only thing i've received since launch was the resser faction card pack. I dont even have the cards to use my main crew in this edition yet and its the second month of waiting, thank god i at least have a pdf of the rules since thats a no show as well but its happened to everyone i know in the uk and so everyone excited for the launch has been told print off paper cards or use proxy models and for the most part they shelved everything and are fully focussed on Warcry now. Talk about timing.

Man, that sucks! I bought the rulebook and Outcasts, Gremlin and Arcanists faction pack from Element Games at release week. Have since bought Dead Man's Hand and Guild pack from Wayland. At least they've had it in at some point. Hope you get your stuff soon!!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:11 PM, Hot4Perdita said:

I've never been to any of the American conventions, so I might be totally wrong, but I googled a few of these, and I think its the difference between going to the Superbowl and going to a college football game. (in my attempt to translate it to something else). Its not a trade show, in the way that you seemed to think it was, its a public convention.

Gencon is 60,000 attendents Nova is 2,000, adepticon was 5,600. I can't find a number for the LVO.  But 10 to 30 times larger is a huge difference in scale, and I guess in order of industry importance.

• Agree 1

I think what might also help put it into perspective is to realize that this post still exists in the forum:

It's 2006, and some guy named Nathan Caroland who I think was running a painting forum at the time (that is what this started as, isn't it?  Wyrd existed as a miniatures company, but the forum was focused on painting, if I'm remembering right...) is asking for advice about what display cabinets to get for a booth to sell miniatures at a convention, GenCon.

Back then:  Nova Open won't exist for another three years.  Adepticon is on its third or so year as a 40k event and Malifaux won't publicly exist for another three years.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tmod said:

Man, that sucks! I bought the rulebook and Outcasts, Gremlin and Arcanists faction pack from Element Games at release week. Have since bought Dead Man's Hand and Guild pack from Wayland. At least they've had it in at some point. Hope you get your stuff soon!!

Those are two of the three i bought from in fact. Wayland sent me a resser pack and element games sent the youko box i forgot to mention because it ended up missing parts in waiting on so its been shelved for now. Not had the best luck at all. At least i've got the full foundry keyword roster ready and painted up, if i was getting into the game rather than being in already i probably would have called it. When i can play games of The Other Side right now and not Malifaux because one me and my friends had no problem getting stock for and its the former you know somethings messed up! 😛

13 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Those are two of the three i bought from in fact. Wayland sent me a resser pack and element games sent the youko box i forgot to mention because it ended up missing parts in waiting on so its been shelved for now. Not had the best luck at all. At least i've got the full foundry keyword roster ready and painted up, if i was getting into the game rather than being in already i probably would have called it. When i can play games of The Other Side right now and not Malifaux because one me and my friends had no problem getting stock for and its the former you know somethings messed up! 😛

Timely update to this, finally got all 3 sites to contact me in reply to asking about my order finally and all within hours of each other saying the same thing: Yeah theres no stock, we dont know when new stock is being made so its really just a refund or nothing at this point which i of course took.

I ended up prepurchasing long before release a lot of Malfiaux 3rd edition stock and received two things, none of which allow me to play with any of my 2nd edition models. At this point were i not already invested in the game this would have been the worst first experience with a new game i would have had which unfortunately has happened to all the people i tried to get into the game that are now buying their 2nd or 3rd warband for games workshops new skirmish game while what little malifaux stuff they could get is completely forgotten. I'm rarely a negative guy but for a lot of people 3rds launch was a chance to get people in and that chance is well and truly blown up in its own face at this point.

Personally i'll just wait and hope i can find some second hand scalper or i guess just wait months to have the stuff to be able to play but to say it sucks is an understatement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Timely update to this, finally got all 3 sites to contact me in reply to asking about my order finally and all within hours of each other saying the same thing: Yeah theres no stock, we dont know when new stock is being made so its really just a refund or nothing at this point which i of course took.

I ended up prepurchasing long before release a lot of Malfiaux 3rd edition stock and received two things, none of which allow me to play with any of my 2nd edition models. At this point were i not already invested in the game this would have been the worst first experience with a new game i would have had which unfortunately has happened to all the people i tried to get into the game that are now buying their 2nd or 3rd warband for games workshops new skirmish game while what little malifaux stuff they could get is completely forgotten. I'm rarely a negative guy but for a lot of people 3rds launch was a chance to get people in and that chance is well and truly blown up in its own face at this point.

Personally i'll just wait and hope i can find some second hand scalper or i guess just wait months to have the stuff to be able to play but to say it sucks is an understatement.

Really sad. Really bad luck GW seems to finally release a decent skirmish fantasy game just when demand outstrips supply for Malifaux...

I confess I was lazy, oblivious and optimistic and ordered the ME3 rulebook and cards somewhat about the release date. So I'm definitely not complaining that I have to wait.

:)

But has anybody an idea or a guess when the book and the cards will be in Europe available again.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

I confess I was lazy, oblivious and optimistic and ordered the ME3 rulebook and cards somewhat about the release date. So I'm definitely not complaining that I have to wait.

:)

But has anybody an idea or a guess when the book and the cards will be in Europe available again.

Some time after they get reprinted. 

It's been said before, but I will say it again. The distributors underestimated the demand. This means that what Wyrd had made was not enough either, because they can't afford to have stock sitting around that isn't going to sell. So while they had more made than was ordered so that they'd be able to sell them on their store or begin filling some orders. I do believe Wyrd underestimated how big the edition change would be as well. This unfortunately has led to shortages, but Wyrd is doing what they can to get this fixed as quickly as possible. Wyrd has every incentive to do so, but the resources and external factors are not necessarily in their favor.

• Agree 2

On 8/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, Severino said:

M3E is an abortion in my area. Sad to see.

I'm not trying to be funny here, but I've seen several posts from you recently that have been unrelentingly negative.  Now, I understand why some of the decisions and issues with the M3E launch have not been ideal and you are disappointed but the biggest killer of a game is unrelenting negativity.  I don't know what you're like in person, but if you talk about Malifaux and Wyrd in your local area with even half the negativity you do on these forums, that is going to be just as big a contributor to the situation as the stock issues. 

Rules and cards are available for free download.  Games can be played with M2E minis while waiting for M3E releases (and many are still available online, sometimes at great prices).  The only reason for M3E to be a complete failure in your area is negative attitudes.  The stock is coming, but some positivity and creativity is needed to keep the idea that the game is worth waiting for alive.  If you succumb to the negativity in person, that isn't going to happen.

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Captain Obvios? ;)

And do you have an idea when they could be reprinted?

I imagine the order is already in with the printers, but the first wave of Faction books was delayed due to circumstances outside Wyrd's hands.  We're probably looking at a mid-September restock of books at the earliest in my (completely uninformed!) opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Butch said:

Captain Obvios? ;)

And do you have an idea when they could be reprinted?

It's already going out to stores. Based on what I've seen it hasn't been the entire order but in batches which makes me think Wyrd is spending more money for multiple smaller shipments as they get ready rather than a bulk shipment.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

Just got a rulebook today. Though my local gamestore quit stocking Malifaux, they did order the rulebooks. When I went in to play tonight, much to my surprise, they had a stack of rulebooks. How they got them when no one else can is beyond me.

Everyone can; it's just highly unreliable when the distributors ordered/got delivered less than the demand. So the store might have ordered 10 and gotten 5, or the distributor might have gotten  100, not 500. Which store gets how much out of those 100 seems to be pretty random. I presume the same goes for restocks. So we should expect back ordered stuff to start showing up more or less randomly until everything is back in stock every where, whenever that might be...

Glad you got the book! 🙂

On 8/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, tmod said:

Really sad. Really bad luck GW seems to finally release a decent skirmish fantasy game just when demand outstrips supply for Malifaux...

Warcry is not decent :D the game can't challenge a ruleset developed for ten years. GW has the market for sure, but masses are never good with exploring - they rather follow the loudest adverts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, marke83 said:

Warcry is not decent :D the game can't challenge a ruleset developed for ten years. GW has the market for sure, but masses are never good with exploring - they rather follow the loudest adverts.

Not tried, and not likely to try it either, I've just heard good things about it online. Could be it's just slightly better than the usual stuff,but it does seem to generate some buzz at least. At any rate I'd prefer it not to release at about the same time as M3e...

2 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

Does anyone know if the contents of the General Upgrade Deck are tha same that are included in the Faction Packs?

General Upgrade Deck is for players who are completely new and have no other way to get the general upgrades(without also having a bunch of extraneous cards). Also, if you go to the upcomoing page or webstore you can click on a product and it will give you a list of everything it contains.

• Thanks 1