2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Caedrus

I don't stress too much about it. It doesn't happen often but if I don't happen to paint for half a week or a month, so be it. My worth as a human isn't decided by how often and how well I paint.

That said, if I feel bad about not painting (and that tends to happen), it's just a matter of forcing it. Now I might still take a guilt free week to just play videogames or whatever. To give my brain a break. But then I do the whole "routine is better than motivation" thing and just sit my ass on a chair and start doing some reps with the brush. I chase a few easy victories to get me going. For me this is usually some simple figures painted to a so-so standard. Finished minis feel good.

I remember I had bit of a "done with this" feeling back in late 2018. I didn't want to buy more Malifaux immediately but I wanted a tangible goal that wasn't just another pretty mini in the cabinet. So I got a few blisters for Batman Miniatures Game. But it could've been a Blood Bowl team, or Saga warband, or whatever. Small playable thing with hopefully some local players to give me that extra motivation to get things painted. So I did a few dozen BMG minis, had some fun with that. Got my painting juices flowing again.

Heck even this year I've had one or two quiet bits. Looking at my diary thread for 2019 I've been painting every month, but few months were pretty sparse. It happens. I laze a while and then get back in on the routine.

___

In other news I decided to paint my Sun Quiang for a tournament on Sunday. Not 100% sure I'll actually fit him into a list, but not like that's even an option if he's not painted. Hoping to do more than bare minimum "that'll do" on him too. Here's hoping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Wintergloom I'm in a similar situation. I was away for three weeks in July. I came back and my local meta is not active anymore. I have been reading comic books for two weeks in my spare time. Now that my daughters are older and I sleep better at night, I even choose to go to bed one hour earlier instead of painting. I wish I were methodic like @Nikodemus 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Franchute said:

@Wintergloom I'm in a similar situation. I was away for three weeks in July. I came back and my local meta is not active anymore. I have been reading comic books for two weeks in my spare time. Now that my daughters are older and I sleep better at night, I even choose to go to bed one hour earlier instead of painting. I wish I were methodic like @Nikodemus 😉

In last years I gave up with painting at night, although during winter months I'm anyway forced to paint with artificial light. The bad thing is that my painting sessions are not so long as some years ago. In last months I worked a lot with the airbrusher: that was because I was going after scenic componets. Well, that was that I was telling myself.

Today I spent some time after Rasputina model so I had to paint with brushes and firm hand. I cought myself, in more instances, painting using the "blind eyes painting tecnique": you move the model far away to estimate details position, then you fix them in your mind and move the model closer to paint them..... In other words it's time to change my glasses and to prefer to go bed one hour earlier instead of painting. ;)

• Like 1

pic4894240.jpg

Did Komainu for 2x6=12ss. 21ss total for the month so far.

I was feeling thoroughly unenthusiastic about these models sitting on my to-do pile. So I decided to just do a lazy drybrush job on them. Gets them out of the way and onto the table. Letting me actually hire all three of Yan Lo's minions. I did mess about a bit with some oranges in the face and chest region, but it's all very quick 'n rough.

But I'm happy. It's a finished pair of models, even if they're knee deep in "that'll do" territory:D

Sun Quiang with hopefully a bit more effort put into him next.

• Like 4

I'm more like @Nikodemus, I try to paint every day as it helps me relax, or if there is something going on in my mind my brain is working on it in background mode while I paint and it really helps, so I can't really say I've been burnout. Truth to be told, I rarely paint on weekends, it's more videogame time (Sekiro it's a demanding mistress) so maybe trying to schedule your painting hours to have days off can help. That, and a timeline, for me this year is the UK Nationals so I'm pushing to have all the guild models painted (or as many as I can) so I can lose in a fashionly way.

Once said so, here are a couple of models finished so far, the monster hunter and the guild steward with four crappy pictures (my trademark).

monster1.jpg

monster2.jpg

steward1.jpg

steward2.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks guys, some good advice. I think I'm gonna finish the shikome this month as i made a start on them last month and then stop trying to finish keywords and just look through the box of shame and pick some models that I'm excited about painting. Maybe switch to some terrain too for a change of scenery (pardon the pun)

@Chou I'll be at the the UK nationals so hopefully we'll get to play :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made quite a good progress at the beginning of the month, but then took a 2-week break. The weather forecast is not very good, so I hope to finish Merriss in the next few days. I decided for a non-green skin tone to bring a bit of variety to my kin crew. No idea how I'll paint the rocket yet.

IMG_20190805_061854.jpg

• Like 9

Hi all! 
I am now back in Spain and am thus able to paint again!
So here is a quickly done Pistolero for 4ss. As usual... camera problems. But summer and lots of daylight as helped a bit, though he's actually a little lighter than he looks here.
I  thought these guys were really underrated in M2E, and having just looked at their card for new cost, I am pretty impressed for how useful I can envisage them being for 4ss! (In play testing I concentrated on Bayou, my main faction, and didn't test any of my other factions/masters)
img_20190823_172052.jpg?w=300

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Caedrus said:

Should I add some wisps of smoke (probably made from cushion stuffing) to the shells? I mocked up a photoshop below of what I mean, but I don't know if it's necessary. The rounds are a little subtle as-is, but would a pneumatic rifle even have conventional gunpowder? I'd assume not? Am I overthinking this? I certainly am.

I'm generally not a fan of such effects. Mainly because I don't like it when clearly unpainted things are added to a clearly painted piece.

But I do like the photoshop mockup so whatever:D It can surely be done well.

• Thanks 1