2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Caedrus

On 8/25/2019 at 10:59 AM, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, reporting in!

So, this month, I have painted 26SS, comprising of Sonnia Criid (15SS), and the Pale Rider (11SS); two high-point items!

First, the lady in red, Sonnia Criid!

K5t9rgN.jpg

A nice miniature, with a few odd points: the sword guard is ridiculous, the chain is a bit silly, and the cigar in her fingers was tiny. I decided to make the cigar a little more substantial. I added in some flames to her base, as well. I'm feeling better about my red with every Guild miniature I do, and my OSL is coming along. It was a little unsubtle on the stones below her. I might go back and mess with that a little.

Secondly, the Pale Rider.

dc1YBu7.jpg

I had more fun on this miniature than I thought. While the banding wasn't meant to be brass, I wanted to do a little NMM, so there it is. I think the blood near the hooves and on the neck needs to be a little less saturated (the front of the neck is weirdly sculpted). I painted the rider, decided that he clashed with the horse, and promptly repainted the rider to match the horse a little more. I added in a few shells being ejected from his pneumatic rifle. My question for my fellow painters is this:

Should I add some wisps of smoke (probably made from cushion stuffing) to the shells? I mocked up a photoshop below of what I mean, but I don't know if it's necessary. The rounds are a little subtle as-is, but would a pneumatic rifle even have conventional gunpowder? I'd assume not? Am I overthinking this? I certainly am.

hNHwbWD.jpg

Anyway, I had fun with these two miniatures. If I can squeeze in a few more miniatures, I'll certainly try! Have a great last few days of winter / summer!

Caedrus, over and out.

My congrats for your panting job: minis and bases look great. Honestly, if those are minis from the 3rd Edition I must say I do not see a great boost and that do not help my dedication to Malifaux. You already properly described oddities in the first figure. As regard the Pale Rider it looks like there was more sculpting attention to the horse than the rider...... May be we could rename this figure the blue Horse! :P 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Franchute said:

@Wintergloom that's what you call burnout?? 😱😆 Love the colours

Thanks :) To be fair the shikome were mostly done from last month and just needed finishing. 

So what happened was I sat down and got out all my unpainted wyrd minis and said "you can paint anything you want, you don't have to keep grinding through Urami, literally anything" ... and so i painted Urami. My brain is weird

• Haha 2

Potato picture but I've finally got some on display now I'd get better, but can't get to the store before next month so here it is.  A few left to do and I want to go back over the bases to make them a bit more uniform but 4 x 21ss = 84ss at tabletop level for the remaining skulkers now based I didn't get to last month.  One more set of skulkers and krakinoi remaining for starter.   Whew.

G6ENybX.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, Purple Mist said:

My congrats for your panting job: minis and bases look great. Honestly, if those are minis from the 3rd Edition I must say I do not see a great boost and that do not help my dedication to Malifaux. You already properly described oddities in the first figure. As regard the Pale Rider it looks like there was more sculpting attention to the horse than the rider...... May be we could rename this figure the blue Horse! :P 

Looks to be 1e metal Sonnia and Rider is 2e plastic.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:22 AM, Wintergloom said:

Does anyone else think my Seishin look like they could be on the Simpsons

They do have that creepy kind of yellow tone I've seen in a few fan art pictures of Simpsons.

___

I got a Marcus game coming up Sunday. Going to take that as a nudge to get some Marcus stuff painted in the next three days. I've got two Mecharachnids and an Order Initiate marked for rushjobs I could do in that time. Let's see how far I manage.

• Like 1

Greetings everyone!

It’s coming towards the end of the month, so I thought I’d pop back in. If you haven’t yet sent me your totals for the month, please do so, and remember to put an @Caedrus in there so I see it!

I’ll be updating the spreadsheet very soon.

There are so many miniatures to talk about, but first I thought I’d respond to @Wintergloom on the topic of painting burnout. At this time, I’m on a painting-high (anything to avoid working on my doctoral thesis!), and I’m genuinely enjoying my painting. Like @Chou, it’s a great relaxant for me. However, having said that, I’ve suffered from burnout quite a few times. As @Nikodemus says, easy victories are a great rejuvenator.

One thing I’d add to that, is that you are a genuinely excellent painter. With that in mind, not every miniature has to be excellent.

I have so, so, so many unpainted miniatures that they fill a wardrobe. I’ll never paint them all, and I’ll certainly never paint them all well. So, some of them can be painted for fun. For me, that’s the big word. Fun. If it isn’t fun, then I’d say to any painter to do something that is fun. Change painting genres. Splash paint around for fun, or play with something else for a while (exactly as Nikodemus said). Or, if you’re like me, do something completely idiotic and just buy more miniatures.

Now, onto the miniatures!

@Purple Mist: Nice fountains. That bronze on the second one is absolutely gorgeous. Is that a 3D print? I have that Pasputina, and I’m too terrified to take it out of the packaging!

@Nikodemus: Nice Komainu and mecharachnid, but that Sun Quiang is brilliant. The underpainted texture is pretty-damn-close to perfect.

@Chou: That Guild Stewart is utterly Jack Nicholson. The smooth highlighting on the Guild Skull is spot-on, I reckon.

@misterfinn: That super-colourful, super-contrasty gremlin is very, very impressive. I have to get better at highlighting purple. Yours is brilliant (both meanings of ‘brilliant’, in fact!).

@Boomstick: The ‘All Grown Up’ Dreamer is supposed to be a bratty, belligerent adolescent. Yours portrays that beautifully. Kudos.

@PetitDalek: I’ve never painted a gremlin. However, your orange Merris is making me think that I might have to move away from the traditional green. Loving the subtle wing reflections.

@wobbly_goggy: I’ve never seen that Pistolero painted before. Good job – that kerchief really makes it.

@Viruk: All three mercenaries are beautiful. My fave has to be Hans, however. Is the subtle texture on his cloak painted, or a serendipitous undercoat effect? Either way, I like it. The eyes on Hans are nice. They remind me of Archer’s night-vision goggles.

@Stranglelove: I’ve never used a dirt-style base for Malifaux miniatures, but yours really enhance the style of the miniatures. Very, very clean paintwork. I reckon Ligeia is my favourite. That simple grey is beautifully elegant.

@Franchute: I’m waiting to see the results on that Crooligan. Nice contrast between the dress and bear.

@Wintergloom: Those Seishin are probably my personal minis-of-the-month. The purple and yellow contrast is gorgeous. I’m envious of your purple highlighting, and if you had a moment to write up your yellow recipe, I’d love to know it. The ‘coming from the floor’ effect with that pale turquoise is gorgeous. The far left and far right examples are rapturous.

@Sol_Sorrowsong: The effect on your TOS minis is quite shiny. Are they an aquatic figure? I don’t know anything about TOS!

@muraki: I didn’t think much of the new Lucius sculpts, before seeing these. They way you’ve painted them really does them justice, and emphasises the not-quite-human aspect. Kudos.

@Diddick: I’m caught between your ‘gypsy Wretch’ and your sickening-green rat catcher that’s eye-to-eye with the rat as a favourite. The gypsy has smooth blues, and brilliantly done contrast. On the other hand, your rat catcher is creepy as hell. Love them all.

I’m proud to be in such auspicious company.

Well, that’s me for the month. I’ll see you in September.

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @Caedrus I liked em, but they're a bit tough to paint cause there's just so many details. I tried for a more limited pallet than usual but then I was painting Lucius being like, WTH do I do with all these bangles, same with 46 and his knives.

Am not 100% happy with em (main concern is how close the 3 look, similar pallet is great, but the models are close enough that they started looking cloney), but good enough for now.

So many great looking models by everyone this month, it's really inspiring. When I have a rough day I like to paint to relax, but those are usually also fairly high anxiety days for me, which leads to me thinking I don't have enough time to make good progress. Doing this challenge has really helped with reminding myself that I don't have to feel like should finish a model in one sitting (and really shouldn't try for the sake of both myself and the paint job). Even 20 minutes is progress! I highly recommend that or a similar mantra for anyone feeling similar/blother forms of burnout.

Thanks for the compliment, @Caedrus! As for my month, finished Dreamer and Serena for 20ss. (Also, I had 29ss in July so you don't have to go searching for that as you update the sheet) Please excuse their base edges, I'm waiting for a new bottle of black to come in for that.

Coppelius is also getting pretty close, and a little more work on Chompy. Adventures in shadowy high contrast to come, on him.

large.20190830_085008.jpg.5a2d1518fdd60ed10b1ab250376ca50c.jpglarge.20190830_085049.jpg.54e43c8973e2096961008f9c989a6daa.jpglarge.20190830_085143.jpg.162642d94ce1a1ad16192d770d5cf609.jpglarge.20190830_085233.jpg.e6b2c8dec3c1356cb716eb861ed2489a.jpg

• Like 8

@PetitDalek I really love the work you did on the rusty part.

Hopefully I'll motivate myself between today and tomorrow. I did some work on the crooligan---and a couple of other minis of course 🤦🏼‍♂️. But it is still not enough. I may end up fast painting an arachnid swarm I'm still missing for my machina keyword, just to save a mulligan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Those Seishin are probably my personal minis-of-the-month. The purple and yellow contrast is gorgeous. I’m envious of your purple highlighting, and if you had a moment to write up your yellow recipe, I’d love to know it. The ‘coming from the floor’ effect with that pale turquoise is gorgeous. The far left and far right examples are rapturous.

Thanks for the kind words @Caedrus. I took my time with them and they turned out to be a lot of fun. 

The yellow is the same as I used on Kirai in the previous month - Basecoat with Averland Sunset / Wash with Seraphim Sepia / First Highlight Averland Sunset / Second Highlight 70/30 Averland Sunset/Ushabti Bone / and then just keep increasing the Ushabti bone (Can't remember how many more highlights I did on these but it was only one or two)

I like my purple to have a blue tint to it so I mix 80/20 Xerus Purple and Caledor Sky for the base / wash with Druchi Violet / Highlight with previous mix / Then I lighten in increments for the highlights using Fenrisian Grey

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Nice fountains. That bronze on the second one is absolutely gorgeous. Is that a 3D print? I have that Pasputina, and I’m too terrified to take it out of the packaging!

Thanks, the fountains are the result of a quick airbrush work, brush finished with a thin wash and the metallic top in the second one. They are resin scenics from Streets of Venice. I have to underline their size: 50mm; so they could be used as a base for a mini. Rasputina was challenging, but I had to postpone her finishing to next month; I had a busy month and my priority was to paint my first  team for Warcray...... relative pics coming soon on "Lost into a Purple Mist" topic.

I saw a lot of great minis this month too from many pledgers. I have to congrat with all of them for their painting achivements and for their constant dedication to Malifaux.

A lot to learn and cool minis to admire this month too.

My personal preference go to:

@Wintergloom Shikomes: the paint job on wings is so realistic and original.

@Nikodemus Speders: a lesson in matter of semplicity. Anyway they look so cool.

@Caedrus Pale Rider: the head of the horse looks liky popping out of a comix or a cartoon. Very original and well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey there! I didn't get to finish my models this month, the beach got the best of time (and now it seems I bathed in Chestnut wash). 

Apart from the monster hunter and the Steward y finished earlier this month, these are my models (the bases will have to wait until I return to Spain). 

So in the end, 15 SS for Basse, 10 SS for the frontiersmen, 6 for the monster hunter and 6 for the guild steward for a total of 37 SS, @Caedrus

IMG_20190830_175344.jpg

IMG_20190830_175409.jpg

IMG_20190830_175502.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1